Sticky Neck Problem

Started by bikodog, November 28, 2003, 06:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've got a Larrivee D-03 that's all satin, except the neck has some kind of semi gloss finish on it.  Feels sticky, especially compared to my Taylor 414rce.  

I've seen others recommend steel wool to fix it.   I hate to screw up a nice guitar though.  SOooo...

Would 000 Steel wool do the trick?  Should I do it dry or wet?  Any pointers from someone who's tried it?

Thanks
Larrivee D-03
Larrivee D-02 12 String
Blueridge BG-140 (J-45's are overpriced!)
Gibson J-45 (J-45's were overpriced :) )

About 13 stroke's with 0000 steel wool should do it.Cup the steel wopol in your hand and with min. preasure stroke it up and down---NO SNID REMARKS PLEASE.Play it and see how it feels if you need a few more strokes don't worry as this removes so little finish you shouldn't have a problem.Repeat when you need to.If this freaks you in anyway call me at the shop and I'll talk you thru it. :ph34r:  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Thanks for the quick reply,  I'll give it a try.  And I'll try to avoid a snide comment.  Luckily this sounds like something I'm quite capable of.  Darn,  there's the snide remark.
Larrivee D-03
Larrivee D-02 12 String

Had some 0000 wool in the garage, so the deed is done.

Came out fine,  feels much better, and still matches the finish of the guitar body and headstock.

Did the same thing to my wifes Taylor baby,  a previous owner had put some type of gloss on the neck.  Took more like 30 strokes to get it off, (no snide remarks), but it is much more playable now, and it also matches the headstock finish now.

Question.  I read over on the Taylor forum a lot and the consensus is that Taylor necks are thinner than Larrivees.  My 414 has a 1 11/16th nut, special ordered, to match my Larrivee.  The Larrivee neck profile looks and feels narrower (less chunky) than the Taylor.  Are they all misinformed over there or did the 1996 guitars at Larrivee have a slimmer neck?

I've got real small hands, so I prefer the slimmer neck.  Not that I'm going to take a planer to the Taylor  :o  
Larrivee D-03
Larrivee D-02 12 String

Well I'm glad everything came out alrite,snid remark.
Wish I could help you on the taylor thing but,we have a few taylor player's here maybe someone will jump in and respond to you. :D  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

It's close,  I wish I had some calipers to check for sure.  I sure like the way the Larrivee feels though.   Much improved without the sticky gloss, as slow as I am I don't need anything slowing me down any more.

Thanks for the help.
Larrivee D-03
Larrivee D-02 12 String

Aren't all the new Larrivee's smooth as a new baby's bottom, when it comes to the back of the neck ? This is a deal maker for me.

mine was smooth as can be, but it has a glossy finish to it that felt sticky to my fingers.  Smooth as glass though.  Using the 0000 wool just took care of the sticky part, didn't change the look very much at all.  just a little less shine.
Larrivee D-03
Larrivee D-02 12 String

I`ve used Scotch Brite pads before. Works well also.