Forum III All Hog gets "TONERITED"... Roadtrip??

Started by Safricanplayer, February 12, 2010, 08:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you read the directions, it tells you to place the TR up against the bridge, as professore' has his. Was told by one of the guys @ TR (not Hans), that it should be placed in between the soundhole & bridge. Had sent mine 2nd gen one back & my 3rd gen will be here anyday. I asked Hans to put a note in telling me where to place it for optimal results.
   Chas had put his on the way shown, it buzzing loudly when turned up. Sent it back & was told he was placing it wrong area, being how I described. Could you let me know how it seems to be working where it's place, prof? It's just where it says. Looks a little different than the 2nd gen one. Plus, was told more ability to fine-tune it, as far as settings? My new Martin Podium Special gets it first! They're will be a whole lot of shaking going on in my place for about a month? :ohmy:
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

One difference between Gen 2 and Gen 3 is, I think, is that Gen 3 now comes from China.  I wish they had kept the manufacturing in the USA, or at least lowered the price to reflect a cheaper labor cost.  But enough of that.

After only 48 hours I played the Martin D-18GE and instantly noticed a more open, full sound, much as other people have said.  How much more?  I'm not sure but I can hear it.  The TR is back on the GE for another 48 hours.

I have the dial set to maximum and the buzzing sound is noticeable in the room, in this case, the spare bedroom. 

The placement of the TR next to the bridge is working fine right now.  I'll re-read the directions to see if it should be over the soundhole.  It probably doesn't matter that much.
Play it daily for best results.

Bluesman mentions a situation I had with placement - these are the details.  I used the TR first on my F-III all hog, 96 hours at 50% power.  Then, when I ramped it up to 100% I was getting this LOUD buzzing that was very irritating - I mean I didn't even want to be in the house with it.  I then discovered that you have to move it around to find the "sweet" spot, i.e., where it emits a good strong hum but not a rattling buzz.  For the F-III's that spot is appx. 1" to 1.5" north of the bridge.  Also, I stretch a rubber band across the head rest on the stand, allowing the neck to be gently suspended on it, rather than resting directly on the hard spot of the stand.  It seem sot allow the vibrations to transmit further up the neck to the headstock.

I'm convinced the TR is helping both of my F-III's (LS-03 HB and LS-03 MT HB) open up and come alive.  Volume seems louder, and the sustain sure seems to keep getting better.  I've only changed the strings once during this process, because the alternating treatment is ongoing, at 50% power.  I'm now up to ~ 10 days on the hog, and 6 days on the IS.

Chas.

Reference to my posted experience:
Has no one else had their top below the bridge belly out?!  How many sapele/mahog. tops have been done?
As Mr. McKnight suggested, if my sapele top is one that was not overly braced, and therefore liable to respond like that, what have others to show/say?  I am really curious.
p.s. The top of my all sapele OM shows no sign of its pregnant adventure, and the sound is definitely deeper--so much so that I may stop using mediums and go back to lights.  This still has me baffled as to why no one else has commented on the same occurence.

Quote from: naboz on May 10, 2010, 10:02:03 AM
Reference to my posted experience:
Has no one else had their top below the bridge belly out?!  How many sapele/mahog. tops have been done?
As Mr. McKnight suggested, if my sapele top is one that was not overly braced, and therefore liable to respond like that, what have others to show/say?  I am really curious.
p.s. The top of my all sapele OM shows no sign of its pregnant adventure, and the sound is definitely deeper--so much so that I may stop using mediums and go back to lights.  This still has me baffled as to why no one else has commented on the same occurence.
I too read that comment from McKnight (who is very well respected in the luthier world).  A little belly is not a bad thing!  But those using the TR should keep an eye on the top if the guitar is getting the treatment for extended periods of time.

Chas said what I was trying to say better. Not over the soundhole, but somewhere between the bridge & soundhole, every guitar having a different "sweet spot". My new one should be here today or tomorrow, so can see the difference between the two. My plan is my Martin first, then my F-III, finally my F-IV last. Two HOG tops, so am curious about the belly issue. Anyone experience this on the all Hog F-IIIs? The IS is so sweet on my F-III, an improvement would be hard to believe. Told Hans that many from here were sold on the product. Think he smiled? :thumb
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

I have never used a Tonerite before and thinking of purchasing one myself, but I have some doubt. My question is, first of all I have no doubt it works, but what are the long term damages it may have caused to the glue etc, etc? I hear and read all the feedbacks and article written about it, on how it vibrate the sh.t out of the guitar and that worries me. I mean, how long has these Tonerites been used and has it been proven that it doesn't ruin your guitar, 4,5,6 years or more down the track? You have to think especially when the dial is tuned up 100% volume.
Don't get me wrong, anything to help speed up a good sound, sounds good to me, BUT........
cheers
fongie 

Great questions Fongie
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Quote from: fongie on May 11, 2010, 06:31:19 PM
I have never used a Tonerite before and thinking of purchasing one myself, but I have some doubt. My question is, first of all I have no doubt it works, but what are the long term damages it may have caused to the glue etc, etc? I hear and read all the feedbacks and article written about it, on how it vibrate the sh.t out of the guitar and that worries me. I mean, how long has these Tonerites been used and has it been proven that it doesn't ruin your guitar, 4,5,6 years or more down the track? You have to think especially when the dial is tuned up 100% volume.
Don't get me wrong, anything to help speed up a good sound, sounds good to me, BUT........
cheers
fongie

The vibrations are not that wild.  Think of someone playing a guitar every day for 20 years.  Other than the usual scuffs and nicks (and ... gouges ...), the guitar will likely sound open and be structurally in good shape.  The TR seems to act as if someone is playing the guitar for you, keeping it warmed up.

But I don't want to use the TR all the time.  I think it would be better to just downsize to one or two quality guitars that can get a lot of playing time and offer the player and listeners much pleasure.

I'm intrigued. Has anybody done recordings before and after?

FWIW I don't feel like my OM-03R needs to be "Tonerited" since it's the one I still reach for but I feel like my D-16GT might benefit from it.
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Quote from: kwakatak on May 14, 2010, 07:44:26 PM
I'm intrigued. Has anybody done recordings before and after?

FWIW I don't feel like my OM-03R needs to be "Tonerited" since it's the one I still reach for but I feel like my D-16GT might benefit from it.
Yeah, before / after recordings would be nice. 

Tonight I played the Martin D-18GE after a week of TR.  It seemed a little more open sounding but I couldn't prove it in a court of law, so to speak.  The real test will be the F-III LS-03R which will get TR'd for at least three days. 

The F-IV gets played every day.  No need for a TR.