Forum III All Hog gets "TONERITED"... Roadtrip??

Started by Safricanplayer, February 12, 2010, 08:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wow Bernie, sounds like you had a tense weekend. Glad everything turned out for the good, and understand your reluctance to do the OM-05.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Ray, like U-Rob i am from the old school of giving my guitars a once a week down time in front of my hifi speakers full volume. This 'ToneRite' unite sounds fantastic. I wouldn't mind purchasing one myself, can you give me any details? What is the actual brand name, is under 'ToneRite' any serial numbers?
cheers
fongie

Here you go Fongie,
Tonerite.com
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I'm feeling better now about my belly being a natural accurence.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: naboz on April 05, 2010, 01:14:40 PM

The first impression is the unwound strings are much more pronounced, so string balance seems off.

This is very interesting - I have a new LV-03RE and the two treble strings are too quiet. I have been looking at replacing the saddle, checking the installation of the electronics or removing the electronics completely. But this would suggest that maybe the treble strings will become louder as the guitar opens up...? I will have a look at my aquarium pump...  :nanadance What about the rest of you who do the tonerite, do you see any change in the treble string balance?

Quote from: flatlander on April 02, 2010, 10:39:58 PM
It seems like it wouldn't be hard these days to check the before and after with a spectrum analyzer. They are included in so many recording devices/software. Can anyone do that?

Sure. About a month ago I did a home-brew version of the Tonerite. Take One was putting two 3" speakers inside my guitar and playing a resonant "A" tone inside it for 72 hours. The speakers couldn't really drive that low a tone at any significant volume so Take Two was leaning the guitar next to my 10" practice speaker another 60 hours a a bit louder volume. In both instances, the "A" tone really really vibrated the entire guitar quite a lot.

I had taken sound samples before both treatments, but unfortunately lost track of the exact mic and amp settings I used. Dang. Then there's interpreting the charts I generated. It was neat seeing where all the overtone frequencies charted up and at what intensity, but because my experiment design was flawed I couldn't really say I could see an objective improvement and I wasn't certain I'd recognize it if I did. I would imagine it would take an experienced sound engineer with a rigorous testing protocol to really prove anything.

However, what decided me that resonating the guitar actually does improve it was the fact that previously, my LSV was a lot quieter than my Taylor, after the treatment they played at exactly the same volume. A new set of Phosphor Bronze strings for the LSV and now they both sound uncannily similar.

I'm convinced the Tonerite would work for any new or recent guitar that hasn't been played much. It's arguable what it does as far as changing the quality of tone, but it definitely increased the volume of mine.

Attached is a jpg of a chart I generated of an E chord. Before on top, after on bottom.The frequencies span from the lowest E to the highest note you can fret. Note that the db of the peaks are greater on the after, but is that because I strummed louder? I dunno. What I suppose is relevant are the relative peaks of the overtones on the right of each chart. Clearly the overtones of the "after" are  much higher relative to the struck notes on the left side than the "before" chart. I guess that's how you analyse these things, anybody know?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

I'm NOT an expert on audio freqs with spec an BUT I have worked with RF (radio) freqs quite a bit and I would think same principles apply in many ways. 1st off, not that much difference in peaks after you take in account the the scale is different on 2 pics. Top of screen is -36 on top pic and -40 on 2nd. Best to use the -50 line as reference. Peaks do look more balanced in bottom pic.
What I'm looking at as much if not more, than peaks though is lower down in db range. Where its beefier. That's where the power is. Think of it like this. Down where it widens out is like many signals over a wider area. So even though individually they might not be as high, there's an army of them.  When you look at it like that and say the beefier part below -60, the overtones are definitely beefed up in bottom pic. The fundimental chord, well a few things going on there and my head started hurting. But more balanced and more overtones is what I see. Not much difference in skinny peaks especially when there's not much power in them. For what it's worth........
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Ray,

Please take me off the list.  I became so enamored with the thought of the ToneRite, I ended up buying one for myself for use on my all Hog FIII.  After 5 days of continuous use on the high setting, I noticed an overal increase in volume, responsiveness and "sweetness," particularly when light fingerpicking.

Thanks,

Bill

Just got my Tonerite about 30 minutes ago. 3 days from Florida to CT! And that's by USPS! Am getting ready to use it on my F-III this weekend. Have been following your experiences, so I took the plunge. Got it @ the going price, plus a free set of "Earthtones" PB strings & free S/H. Asked for the lights, which are lighter gauge than normal lights. Never heard of them, but will try them. PM me if you want info on the seller. Cheapest around & free stuff? Plus, a nice southern woman on the other end.
   I was told that after using the Tonerite for the first time, you should change the strings after. Seems like, & makes sense, that the vibrations stretch the strings a little & loosen the winding on the heavier strings. Has anyone tried this after the first use? Will probably only make a slight difference, but might be a noticeable one?
   And for what it's worth, someone did a test using recording equipment & graphing all results on the AGF. Those results don't show a significant change, but it was done on a McKnight Guitar that turns out it was already done on. Tim McKnight posted about that particular guitar, as it was also played @ a guitar festival & jam. He does every guitar he builds now before final setup. Check out the responses there. Interesting?
   If all don't mind, I'll post my results as I do my guitars. Only have the F-III in my hands right now, my Martin coming Tuesday, then the F-IV right after. The L. Canteri Custom is being finalized, so a little more time to play with it? Was also told that my Martin wouldn't need it, as it sounds fantastic already? I'm thinking all HOG body, might need a little more loosening up? Definitely on the F-IV, being built a little heavier?
   More to follow! It's funny how some things on paper don't make total sense, but from what most have posted, things are changing from using the Tonerite. FL, I was one of those that would put my new guitars in front of massive bass speakers, trying to get as low a signal as I could. Read about it in "Stereophile" mag back in the late '80s. I'd swear it worked, & I guess Mr. Larrivee had the same thoughts? :?
     Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Quote from: flatlander on April 07, 2010, 10:45:59 PM
. . . Down where it widens out is like many signals over a wider area. So even though individually they might not be as high, there's an army of them.  When you look at it like that and say the beefier part below -60, the overtones are definitely beefed up in bottom pic. The fundimental chord, well a few things going on there and my head started hurting. But more balanced and more overtones is what I see. Not much difference in skinny peaks especially when there's not much power in them. For what it's worth........

Thanks for the reply, sorry to respond so late. What you state makes sense to me and it seems that a wider base is better.

Below is another graph comparing my Taylor 312 to the new Forum IV. Subjectively they sound very similar, since the 312 has mahogany back and sides, but the Taylor has a thin quality that I can't seem to describe any other way.

The graph is from a 9 second sample of the low E note, the F-IV clearly has several louder and wider harmonic overtones that might explain why the F-IV sounds richer.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: BluesMan1 on April 16, 2010, 01:34:40 PM
...And for what it's worth, someone did a test using recording equipment & graphing all results on the AGF. Those results don't show a significant change, but it was done on a McKnight Guitar that turns out it was already done on. Tim McKnight posted about that particular guitar, as it was also played @ a guitar festival & jam. He does every guitar he builds now before final setup. Check out the responses there. Interesting?
   If all don't mind, I'll post my results as I do my guitars. Only have the F-III in my hands right now, my Martin coming Tuesday, then the F-IV right after. The L. Canteri Custom is being finalized, so a little more time to play with it? Was also told that my Martin wouldn't need it, as it sounds fantastic already? I'm thinking all HOG body, might need a little more loosening up? Definitely on the F-IV, being built a little heavier?. . .

Any chance you can give me a head start on the AGF link, would love to see it>

As far as Toneriting my F-IV, I'm so perfectly happy as it is, can't imagine it sounding any better, so I can wait for it to grow up :smile:

I just ordered the Gen 3 Tonerite from The Music Tree:  http://02cfd6d.netsolhost.com/blog1/?p=6
Free strings and free delivery. 

If I only had one guitar, the Tonerite would not be needed if I played every day.  The F-III with stiff Italian spruce top will get the first treatment.  I'll post my impressions later.
Play it daily for best results.

Just took my OM-60 custom off the Tonerite, and it has made quite a difference in the overall tone and volume of it - This custom has a Adirondack top, and it felt "tight" and lacking in depth. But after a week or so, there is quite a difference, it feels much more open and loose. I need to change the strings to my normal EJ-16s so I feel like I can really get a sense of the sound now, but I have to say, I immediately heard a huge difference -

The LS05-12 is on it now, and the F3 may be next - Interesting device -
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Maybe I missed the note - but how can I get on the list to use the tonerite device for a week?

Thanks,
Dave
2001 McIlroy A30 #75, Spruce/Rosewood
Martin OM-15M, all mahogany
Paddy Burgin Bouzouki, Redwood over Claro Walnut
Keith Newell mandolin, Spruce over Claro Walnut
1916 Gibson A mandolin
1927 Langestyle tenor banjo

First I had seen of this thread, and actually had wanted to do a very similar tonerite sharing program.
Glad someone beat me to it.
Add me to the list, please.

I bought one from "the Music Tree" also. Was the 2nd generation, so asked Hans from ToneRite if I could swap for the new one. They came out on 5/1, mine getting shipped yesterday. Main differences are the new design of the "feet" & having more control over the settings. My new Martin will get it first, being the one I'm using least right now. Can't put my F-IV down, but that will be next. Then my F-III, which I can't believe will sound better. If it does, will be about the best sounding guitar ever!
   The free strings were "Earthtones" PB lights. More like an extra light, being .011 on the high E & .052 on the low. Has anyone tried these before? Specially conditioned with "Coldfire thermal cycling", whatever that is. Like a .012 on the high & .054 on the low.
   One thing I was told was to change the strings after you use the ToneRite, as they can stretch out & the wrapping become loose on the wound ones. Will play that one by ear, as all strings aren't made the same & might be true for some.
     Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Here's the Gen 3 Tonerite, which arrived today:

The GE gets the first treatment.  Sure is vibrating ALL OVER this lightly built guitar.  The F-IV will be my main play for a few days.
Play it daily for best results.

Can I still get on the list to try the Tonerite?
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"