Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I watched this video 3-4 times then I saw the guitar  (Read 15925 times)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 03:52:30 AM »

Things can serve more than one function.

Is this an ad or a truck??? It's both.

She obviously has a deal worked out with Larrivee. Of course when she plays a Larrivee in public or in a video she is advertising for them... Kinda like those Lakers wearing the shoes Nike wants you to buy.

So, "The Song Remains the Same" was an advertisement for Gibson Les Paul Guitars? OK.....sorry, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 04:34:35 AM »

So, "The Song Remains the Same" was an advertisement for Gibson Les Paul Guitars?

Don't know.

Obviously the Jesse Ferrell video is more than just an ad... that was part of my point.

frankhond

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 10:25:48 AM »

Here's another one where the Larrivee makes a cameo at the beginning, then disappears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjHf9PQDQXA&feature=channel

GA-ME is right on target:

"Plastic" is an excellent description, to go along with shallow, sexualized, pointless and pretty typical of where a lot of country music has ended up today. Watching her in those videos almost gives you the creeps, like she's a narcissistic tramp that only has one thing on her mind...

...however, I suspect you guys are just jealous that you're not that Larrivee guitar being strummed by her and pressed up against her body...

(even though I quote this, it is not a specific reply to you, it's about discussion in general)

Sometimes I have the feeling that when this kind of music comes up, the women are "tramps" and "sexualized" while the guys are judged mainly on their abilities. Look at all the videos with Macyn Taylor or Muriel Anderson. Many of the comments are along the lines of "she's hot" or "I would like to marry her". There is a video with Tommy Emmanuel and Muriel Anderson playing together - the comments are all about Muriels looks... Now look at the videos of Leo Kottke, Tommy Emmanuel, or even John Mayer. Not many comments about their being hot, the comments are mostly about whether they play well or not.

I agree that the particular country song discussed is pretty generic and the video explores the same old commercial imagery that we see everywhere, but that Larrivee she's carrying looks well played, much more so than mine.

Not sure where I'm heading with this, guess I needed to get it off my chest, no trolling intended etc etc, this is potentially a can of worms...

GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 02:56:20 PM »

Really?  I didn't know that was a Larrivee ad.  I think you "suppose" wrong.

Cognitively challenged fanboy.
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 03:38:38 PM »

Cognitively challenged fanboy.

Well, that's an intelligent cheapshot that does nothing to advance your argument.  Typical .....
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 03:44:34 PM »

Well, that's an intelligent cheapshot that does nothing to advance your argument.  Typical .....

Nothing can advance the arrgument with you Walkerman. It is beyond your cognitive ability. You are one of the 25-40 percent of American adults that fail to acieve formal operational / complete formal operatinal thinking.  Now, go crawl back under Jean Larrivee's workbench.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 04:42:43 PM »

Play nice guys this is just a fun vid and certainly not something to get personal about. Being neutral, either one of you are Cognitively challenged in any way that's for sure just different with sometimes opposing views.

friends

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 04:52:31 PM »

Nothing can advance the arrgument with you Walkerman. It is beyond your cognitive ability. You are one of the 25-40 percent of American adults that fail to acieve formal operational / complete formal operatinal thinking.  Now, go crawl back under Jean Larrivee's workbench.

That's a pretty tall horse you're riding there, GA-MA.  You can't build yourself up by tearing someone else down.  Nice to see that you consider yourself to be in the elite class of your country's deep thinkers.  Shall we take a poll???

GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 05:10:50 PM »

That's a pretty tall horse you're riding there, GA-MA.  You can't build yourself up by tearing someone else down.  Nice to see that you consider yourself to be in the elite class of your country's deep thinkers.  Shall we take a poll???

Firstly, I'm not on a horse, tall or otherwise. Secondly, I'm not trying to build myself up by tearing anyone down. I'm simply making an observation and judgement based on a particular contingency. You are free to make your own observations and render your own judgements from those observations as well. The numbers I quoted are the general ranges pretty much agreed upon as the percentages of folks in the United States of America capable of engaging in varying degrees of formal operational thinking. Thirdly, if you are asking whether or not I am capable of formal operational thinking, then I'll answer you directly, yes I am. That is not based upon my opinion, but rather, based upon the results of several batteries of cognitive functioning testing I have underwent at various stages of my development.

As far as Walkerman goes, he seems compelled to be snarky with my posts at every opportunity he can find. That's his issue. Tell me, Mr Buffet, if someone is unable to deduce blatant product placement in front of them, on a video screen, what conclusion would you draw about their ability to engage in abstract thinking?
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 05:36:39 PM »

Wow, looks just like my guitar. These sunbursts are darn nice, the music looks much better... 
Yea I like the way the black and red mesh with the lighter color in the middle. Credit the wardrobe person and hair stylist. The guitar matches it too.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2010, 05:46:09 PM »

Not sure if we can assume outright this is Product placement.

It could be many things such as the producers of the Video feel the guitar is as pretty as we do  

or

This is her guitar and wanted a guitar in the video.

Lots of pretty people out there BUT not all get to make and perform in national music videos, like it or not this performer has something other than looks and a real nice guitar and it's a shame that she gets attacked for making a fun sexy video that many such as Elvis,Alan JACKSON to Johnny CASH have done before her. Is it because she is female that we toss out the word plastic? Would this statement be made if it was a cute guy up there with a Larrivee swaggering and giving his hips a little twist? Not so sure bout that. Whether you agree with it or not sexy is in and is a big part of this Video Age.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Agasco

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2010, 05:56:45 PM »

Firstly, I'm not on a horse, tall or otherwise. Secondly, I'm not trying to build myself up by tearing anyone down. I'm simply making an observation and judgement based on a particular contingency. You are free to make your own observations and render your own judgements from those observations as well. The numbers I quoted are the general ranges pretty much agreed upon as the percentages of folks in the United States of America capable of engaging in varying degrees of formal operational thinking. Thirdly, if you are asking whether or not I am capable of formal operational thinking, then I'll answer you directly, yes I am. That is not based upon my opinion, but rather, based upon the results of several batteries of cognitive functioning testing I have underwent at various stages of my development.

As far as Walkerman goes, he seems compelled to be snarky with my posts at every opportunity he can find. That's his issue. Tell me, Mr Buffet, if someone is unable to deduce blatant product placement in front of them, on a video screen, what conclusion would you draw about their ability to engage in abstract thinking?

Have a nice day.
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2010, 06:11:16 PM »

Joyce, nothing personal about this ya know. I used the term plastic because it represents, to me, and the to me part is an important distincion, what this video is an example of. Manufactured product for a target audience. This is no different than Taylor Swift and Taylor guitars. Does the woman have some talent? Sure, she can sing what she is told to sing and be marketed the way she is told to be marketed. I don't have any personal animosity towards her. However, I don't think to many folks will mistake her for a serious musical artist of the stature of say John Fahey. She is trying to be the newest plastic pop country star.

As for the guitar in the video, you are perfectly able to make you own judgement as to whether it is outright product placement, I agree. That is part of what we do as individuals.  For me, seeing a Canadian guitar company's product, prominently placed in the video of a rising Canadian pop country star, tells me something of the likelyhood of how and why it got there. You may differ in your interpretation and that is fine. Also, there is nothing wrong with the company or the singer engaging in this practice. It's a free market, and I can figure out for myself what is going on. I'm getting ready to go see a movie with my fiance as part of our Valentines/ Chinese New Year celebration, and there will be product palcement galore. I have no issue with that, for me personally. However, lots of folks are swayed by such things and are incapable of even understanding that it is happening..........................

GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2010, 06:17:13 PM »

Have a nice day.

Thanks, you do the same. Happy Valentines day and happy Chinese New Year!
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2010, 07:53:04 PM »

Wow, the Red Head sure got everybody fired up! Even the intellectuals. What power she holds!

flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2010, 08:15:51 PM »

If you're gonna sell sex or have it at center of attaction, having the talent behind it as well really, really helps.
It's the difference between using talent to enhance the sexiness of song on one hand versus trying to use sex to enhance your talent, or pocket book.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ41U9qOjx8
I'd take Maria Muldaur all day long, all night too, and never tire of her singing. If she sang sexy songs, then I'd have to live with that.

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2010, 06:33:02 PM »

However, I don't think to many folks will mistake her for a serious musical artist of the stature of say John Fahey. She is trying to be the newest plastic pop country star.

I would be willing to bet one of my Larrivees that the majority of the people who are interested in Jesse Ferrell have never heard of John Fahey.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2010, 07:01:44 PM »

Its a nice looking woman and I love Larrivee's sunbursts...but I couldn't make it through the video once.  Not my style I suppose...
  Ditto... I just signed off.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
leftync

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2010, 07:54:36 PM »

She strikes me as a decent singer whose voice comes in second (plays second fiddle?) when measuring her marketable assets.
Actually her sex appeal is much more subtle in the Larrivee ads she's done. It's product placement in the way that any artist/sponsor testimonial is. I saw Old Crow Medicine Show on Austin City Limits, and there's a Larrivee there but I doubt there was a specific negotiation for every fiddle, banjo, etc. More likely the producers wanted to have her with a guitar to remind everyone she's a musician, and she grabbed her guitar. I suspect if any company pald for placement in a video is wouldn't be Larrivee and if there were product placement she'd be playing a Martin or Taylor. They're much higher-profile and much more aggressive marketers.
I find it amusing to watch established artists and their guitar changes, now that I notice such things. In last month's AG, the "what they play" box lists one Taylor only after listing several Gibsons and Martins (although a photo shows him with his Taylor, at least online. My issue is at home). I remember a couple years back in either GWA or AG Fogerty couldn't say enough about all his Taylors. How many companies claim the loyalty of James Taylor, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Paul Simon, etc.?
It reminds me of an old bit of David Letterman's: Alan Alda--A Man and His Chinese Food, based on all the Manhattan resturants boasting Alda's framed photo.
musicrowscott

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2010, 08:28:56 PM »

Not meaning to get in the way of the sparkling conversation between the "intellectual" and the rest of us...but why didn't all the girls behind her catch fire in the video?

And several of the girls were wearing Levis...such a blatant capitalistic placement rendering the entire piece utterly irrelevant. No artistic integrity whatsoever...

Sweet Larri though!

Happy North Korean Founders Day everyone!

Cheers,

S

Scott w/The Music Row Show
www.themusicrowshow.com
www.myspace/themusicrowshow

Larrivee OM-03 MT
Larrivee D-10E
Larrivee OO-03
Larrivee RS-4 Root Beer
Taylor 614CE
Taylor 315CE
Takamine EG523SC