Forum RS4?

Started by GoldTopsRock, February 10, 2010, 10:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Symtex on February 11, 2010, 03:37:08 PM
I just got an email back from Matthew, He told me he can arrange a meeting in a Vancouver shop. I would have to bring an amp. So it looks like I will have the opportunity to try it !!!!

Way to go Matthew! You are the man!!!!!!!!!  :thumbsup

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 11, 2010, 01:12:49 PM
I got to try four at the local shop in Thunder Bay, of all places. A gold top,  a charcoal, a sunburst and the amber one that I bought. If a small shop in this town can carry four RS4s, what's the problem?   

Firstly welcome back Duck!!!  The shop you refer to in Thunder Bay to have 3 RS4 and while other bigger shops elsewhere have none. Is this shop mainly an acoustic or experienced in all realms. Hats off to them for being able to recognize it's potential while others sit back waiting for something to happen.  :cheers to the shop in Thunder Bay wish a few more would take their lead in order to share this with more musicians everywhere.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I am not looking for a wizard thin neck. Something a little thinner then 59's profile.

In keeping with the Forum builds, shouldn't this RS4 have a satin finish and a 12 fret neck?   :winkin:

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: Symtex on February 11, 2010, 01:29:53 AM
I know why, first they don't know enough about larrivee product. Even here, in Vancouver BC, dealer only carry a very small portion of acoustic larrivee. Don't even think about electric. Second of all, some people are turn off by the shape of the RS4. They hate Gibson QC and everything it stands for in the recent year but yet they want a guitar that look exactly the same.

I would love to get the chance to try an RS-4. Jean knows what good wood is. I tried to convince the local music shop (Long & Mcquade) to carry one and they told me : We don't know when we will get them. It's special order blah blah blah. 

I bought mine at the L&M on Terminal a few months ago. There are two at the L&M in Victoria. I know, I called a few days ago to see if they had a P90 version.

Quote from: tadol on February 11, 2010, 08:51:54 PM
In keeping with the Forum builds, shouldn't this RS4 have a satin finish and a 12 fret neck?   :winkin:

Tad

:roll
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

And Larrivee is having trouble selling these because

[attachment deleted by admin]
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on February 11, 2010, 06:17:20 PM
Firstly welcome back Duck!!!  The shop you refer to in Thunder Bay to have 3 RS4 and while other bigger shops elsewhere have none. Is this shop mainly an acoustic or experienced in all realms. Hats off to them for being able to recognize it's potential while others sit back waiting for something to happen.  :cheers to the shop in Thunder Bay wish a few more would take their lead in order to share this with more musicians everywhere.

Thanks. It's a long story but I finally talked this owner into carrying a few LarrivĂ©es about eight years ago. He now has at least ten acoustics and two electrics in stock at all times. He finds it helps him sell his Martins, as well. He thanks me every time I see him with a big smile. Could be because I've bought three from him myself and four of my friends have bought one, as well. 

Why a retailor doesn't carry it boils down to the fact that they have so much inventory right now that isn't moving fast.Adding another instrument that they may or maynot move fast  at a profitable price is a big risk.

Does anyone know what they sell for used on ebay compaired to what the retail new street price is?
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on February 12, 2010, 08:06:27 AM
Does anyone know what they sell for used on ebay compaired to what the retail new street price is?
The prices on ebay can be quite low sometimes if, for instance, a guitar shop's closing or someone's suddenly out of work etc.  It's not fair, IMHO,  to compare those one-of-a-kind type situations to the price of a new instrument.
Gary - RS-4 (for sale), Bourgeois VOM

I haven't seen one on ebay for a while. I check every day

Quote from: unclrob on February 12, 2010, 08:06:27 AM
Why a retailor doesn't carry it boils down to the fact that they have so much inventory right now that isn't moving fast.Adding another instrument that they may or maynot move fast  at a profitable price is a big risk.

Unclrob knows best...this is exactly what the local Larrivee dealer told me when they got my RS-4 in...he agreed it was a gorgeous guitar; as nice as any of his Gibsons hanging on the wall...but he said he would still sell 35 Les Paul's for every RS-4.

Even if that's a slight exaggeration, he's right: Gibson and Fender have the market sown up mentally with brand loyalty and "headstock-itis" among guitar players. Does it mean he shouldn't stock a couple? No, but that's his call as the business owner, not mine.

I suppose Larrivee could get pushy, like Gibson, and demand every dealer carry one electric for every dozen acoustics they stock, or something like that...but it won't endear them to anyone.

Unclrob: I've seen these sell on e-bay from around $1,00 to $1,600...so quite a wide range.

Quote from: Symtex on February 11, 2010, 08:46:38 PM
I am not looking for a wizard thin neck. Something a little thinner then 59's profile.

Then I think you would like the Larrivee neck - it's very close to my Epi Elitist Les Paul, which is closer to the '60's Gibson profile than the '50's profile.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Are you trying to ruined me Mickey ? I am trying to convince myself I don't need one...

I think its fair to compare.Everyone of my customers check resale value based on what they see them go for on ebay.Since most don't seam to hang onto a guitar for more then a year{Always looking for the next thing} I think its fair.Myself I hang on to things for a long time again most don't and only sell when I have to.I try to check out as many guitars as I can,I'm lucky that I can tell inside of 15 min. weather a guitar has what I need out of it as a usable tool.I also have another advantage I see all sorts of guitars due to my job.
I do think that Larrivee should have thought outside the box a little more there are so many Les Paulish guitars in the market.As there are also  way too many Tele,Strat,335,PRS{which is a clone of a double cut LP Special} and I'm sure I'm leaving a bunch out.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: Symtex on February 12, 2010, 10:03:08 AM
Are you trying to ruined me Mikey ? I am trying to convince myself I don't need one...

:rolleye:

:thumb
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

What the local dealer discovered is that if you have them, they will sell. Heck, have your dealer phone him (Cosmo Ricci) and ask how well it's working. 

http://www.musicworldacademy.com/contact.htm

Quote from: unclrob on February 12, 2010, 10:15:23 AM
I think its fair to compare ...

Okay, everyone's going to compare, that's true whether I think it's fair or not.  From the dealer's perspective though, it's got to be discouraging to think they're priced out of the market because someone snatched a used one for alot less than they're asking.  So, if the idea's to get more dealers to carry them, maybe it's not such a great idea to quote the lowest used price from eBay or Craigslist.

Speaking just for myself, I'd love to have one and I don't even play electric (though my son's learning).  So, if there's a Forum RS4 I like and I'm feeling flush, maybe I'll join in.

Thanks.
Gary - RS-4 (for sale), Bourgeois VOM

Dealer's have to be competitive these days. That's just the way it is. I'm only willing to pay so much for "friendly" service. I support this guy in Thunder Bay, though, because he has a great store with lots of guitars and amps and his markup is reasonable considering his overhead. I've been to stores in Montreal and Ottawa, for instance, that didn't have anywhere near the inventory that he carries. Maybe they'll have a couple Larrivées, if you're lucky. Music World always has ten or twelve plus a similar number of Martins and a bunch of Guilds. I'd have to go to Toronto or Minneapolis to see a better selection of nice acoustics.

gschaps I know its unfair but having spent most of my life in retail and at least 3/ of in music store's thats what I hear.I had people who would walk in and say "I can get that in almost new condition for half of what your asking".Being the jerk I am I'd say buy it off ebay.Then they'd come in and ask for a setup on there ebay buy and ask for a discount,again being the jerk I am I'd say oh ya right buy it on ebay.When I was working for a Larrivee dealer I raise a stink about dealers selling there new Larrivee's on ebay cheap and told my rep that if it didn't stop he could count on us not ordering anymore as we wouldn't be a dealer.Well I got my way and for about 2 years no dealer could sell on ebay.Within weeks of me leaving that store all of this new Larrivee stock was up for sale on ebay.Local sale's crashed and Larrivee's used value went in the dumbster and its still there.A store needs to make at the very least 30% mark up{35% is just enough to make a living,even though I know that a lot of people think that the stores are riping them off},if not theres no reason to keep the doors open.Once the doors closed so do the factories who won't kiss the box store's butt.No more new forum guitars,no more special runs,no reason to produce guitars at least in the US and Canada.
Now I just worked a deal on my jumbo at what I hope the other party agrees was a fair deal at a fair price.Unfair is when a Koa Larrivee  sells for $1200,or a J10 or J09 goes for onlt $950.Don't get me wrong the buyer gets a great deal but the value of the line isn't there any more and once again way should some store buy when they can't get a fair price new for it.

:wave

Off my shop box and back to the cave,head held high as I am happy to be thought of as a jerk and an a**hole and any other name that can be thought of.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Nice other side to the story Uncle!!!!