Forum RS4?

Started by GoldTopsRock, February 10, 2010, 10:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just a thought somewhere down the road......  :whistling:

First of all, Jean or Matthew needs to convince retails to carry their product in retails outlet. Its hard to spend 2k on an instrument you cannot try before. Gibson/Fender got such a grip on the market. I would have bought an RS-4 a few weeks ago if I had the chance to try it first. I hope Jean/Matthew is snooping around this forum and reads this. They lost a sale.

Quote from: GoldTopsRock on February 10, 2010, 10:04:38 PM
Just a thought somewhere down the road......  :whistling:

Sooooooo what would YOU like to see on a Forum RS4 :?  :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: Symtex on February 10, 2010, 11:39:10 PM
First of all, Jean or Matthew needs to convince retails to carry their product in retails outlet. Its hard to spend 2k on an instrument you cannot try before. Gibson/Fender got such a grip on the market. I would have bought an RS-4 a few weeks ago if I had the chance to try it first. I hope Jean/Matthew is snooping around this forum and reads this. They lost a sale.

Always a good place to start would be to try and convince your local retailer to get one in. It's best they hear it from us then the Manufacturer
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on February 11, 2010, 12:04:43 AM
Always a good place to start would be to try and convince your local retailer to get one in. It's best they hear it from us then the Manufacturer

in this economy ?

Yep in this Economy. The dealers are unlikely to sell one if they don't have it in stock. And it's not like it's a crippling investment required to stock one.

I really don't get it. These guitars are as well put together as any on the planet with top shelf wood and hardware. There has got to be something that I am not privy to that is causing these dealers to resist stocking an RS4. Can't agree the economy is the sole reason. Cost to the dealer is no more than an entry level LP or American Fender. Something is amiss They are just too nice of a guitar for the Dealer not to roll the dice on that small of an Investment. Sorry can't stand to hear the Economy anymore - Dealers gotta stock something - why NOT the best high end bang for the buck out there - the RS4

I know why, first they don't know enough about larrivee product. Even here, in Vancouver BC, dealer only carry a very small portion of acoustic larrivee. Don't even think about electric. Second of all, some people are turn off by the shape of the RS4. They hate Gibson QC and everything it stands for in the recent year but yet they want a guitar that look exactly the same.

I would love to get the chance to try an RS-4. Jean knows what good wood is. I tried to convince the local music shop (Long & Mcquade) to carry one and they told me : We don't know when we will get them. It's special order blah blah blah. 

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on February 11, 2010, 12:02:34 AM
Sooooooo what would YOU like to see on a Forum RS4 :?  :?

You know I'm not for sure. That's why I threw it out there. Just to see what would develope. I do know that I would want it bone stock as it currently is with nothing mechanical changed. No changes to any shapes, woods, electronics, switches, bridge, neck shape, headstock, fretboard, etc., (you don't mess with perfection). To keep production cost in line and just to make things simple I'm thinking more along the lines of just a special one run color for the top of the body, chrome hardware (sorry, no offense to gold lovers), and a special but simple inlay on the headstock or maybe a matching painted headstock. It would have to be simple enough not to add to the existing cost due to the fact that there is only a small number of us on the forum and it would have to appeal to those that don't know of the forum.

Please understand, This is only for fun. I'm not in anyway suggesting that the Larrivee Guitar Co. do this.

I love my RS4 more than any guitar I've ever owned. I wish I could own 1 of every color that is produced. However unlikely that is I will own more than 1.

Thank you Larrivee for such a magnificent instrument.

Quote from: Symtex on February 10, 2010, 11:39:10 PM

I must respectfully disagree. Remember, Larrivee is not a huge factory nor would I want them to be. Larrivee guitars are handbuilt pieces of art. That's what separates them from the rest. I've purchased 3 Larrivee's (L05, OM-03R and RS4) on-line either from Jim at Trinity Guitars or Dave at Guitar Adoptions. I've had a great experience with both gentlemen. They're keenly interested in you as a customer and are very appreciative of your business. They will give you a short trial period in your home. If you don't like it send it back. Sure, you may have to pay return shipping charges but it's not really that much. Besides, they will make sure to answer all your questions so that you're making an appropriate purchase. These guy's know their stuff.

When I take my guitars in for a restringing and check up at my locally owned guitar store they "ooh" and "ahh" over the RS4. The guitar tech works on it like its his own. I'm sure they would have loved to sell me one of their brands but there is probably more money in the lower priced segment of guitar vs the high end for the retailer. Just like any retail store it's about inventory turn. The real money is in the accesories, books, hardware, instruction, and servicing of the instrument.

Don't let the fear of buying online rob you from owning and playing such a fine instrument as the RS4 or any other Larrivee.

Jean and Matthew, thanks for what you do!

The stock guitar is really close to perfection and for an RS 4 to be a Forum Guitar I would think it would appeal really only to those who are real interested in Forum Guitars and would have to offer something different to current RS 4 owners. Something different - not necessarily better BUT different.

Some things that pop in mind for me would be:

Custom color & or headstock work

Maple Neck

Ebony Fretboard

Mini - Humbucker in the neck preferably Matt LARRIVEE made mini

Bigsby

Brassnut

I'm sure others can think of a few other things to mix it up

Quote from: GoldTopsRock on February 11, 2010, 08:26:56 AM

...Jean and Matthew, thanks for what you do!

AMEN!
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

You know , after thinking about this thread this morning I don't want anyone to think that I want Jean or Matthew Larrivee to change anything about the RS4. It's absolutely perfect and you don't mess with perfection!. Every now and then Matthew offers a new color (i.e white, rootbeer burst) and that is perfectly enough to entice me into adding another RS4 or two in the future. I drool enough as it is.  :drool:

Do wish Larrivee would branch out with some different electric styles such as Fender, Gibson ES ( my dream) etc as they have really done such a fine job with the RS 4. I'm sure they could raise the bar on these styles as well

give me an RS-4 with a slim neck option and I am all over it. I know this will never happen but a guy can dream

I got to try four at the local shop in Thunder Bay, of all places. A gold top,  a charcoal, a sunburst and the amber one that I bought. If a small shop in this town can carry four RS4s, what's the problem?   

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 11, 2010, 01:12:49 PM
I got to try four at the local shop in Thunder Bay, of all places. A gold top,  a charcoal, a sunburst and the amber one that I bought. If a small shop in this town can carry four RS4s, what's the problem?  

I really don't know. I guess you can say that national chain like L&M only carry what they are certain will sell.  That means Gibson/Fender/Epiphone/PRS.

edit : Btw, I did call Tom lee music (big retail chain who are authorized Larrivee dealer) and I was told : It too much trouble to order an RS-4. Give your phone number and we will call you back. They never did. It like I was nuisance for asking.

I just got an email back from Matthew, He told me he can arrange a meeting in a Vancouver shop. I would have to bring an amp. So it looks like I will have the opportunity to try it !!!!

Quote from: Symtex on February 11, 2010, 03:37:08 PM
I just got an email back from Matthew, He told me he can arrange a meeting in a Vancouver shop. I would have to bring an amp. So it looks like I will have the opportunity to try it !!!!

woo hoo

most music shops I know of have demo amps..... 

Way to go  Matthew....
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

I'd love to see this, too, but with the (very likely) low number that would be ordered, it might be unlikely - unless Larrivee decided it was worth it for just 4 or 5.

Symtex; what are you looking for in the neck? The RS4 neck is pretty slim; I find it very comfortable. Are you wanting "wizard" thin?

For options, I've added a couple photos of a cool one that Dave has at Guitar Adoptions - if has a quilted MAHOGANY top on it! So ... a HOG TOP RS4 FORUM V or VI !!! It doesn't get any better, does it?! (The one in the pics also has gold hardware; I'd prefer to stick with chrome.)

One option I'd like would be to choose either humbuckers or P-90's...I think that would make it more appealing to some of us who have the 'bucker version already.

[attachment deleted by admin]
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

All I can say to that Mikey is ......  :drool: