Which Tuners Do I Have?

Started by 29er, February 06, 2010, 05:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm pretty ignorant in the world of Larrivee, so please forgive what is likely a silly question  :blush:

I just bought a 2006 custom OM-09MQ that has gold tuners stamped with "Larrivee" on the back.  Are these Ping tuners?  I ask because I want to replace the pearloid buttons with ebony and need to know what I have before I go-a-shoppin'

Thanks!
Martin 000-15S
Voyage Air OM
Mule single cone resonator
Warmoth Strat

Music isn't a hard life, it's just weird.  Coal mining is hard.

They are ping tuners
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Check for post wobble and tuning slack before you buy just the buttons, My DV09 made it 3 years before the post wobble started to drive me nuts when I changed strings, and my 2008 12 string made it to just recently til I noticed it was taking more time to dial in. Both had Pings, got Gotohs and and I got new buttons as I replaced the tuner too. Huge difference for me.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Quote from: Michael T on February 06, 2010, 11:17:23 AM
Check for post wobble and tuning slack before you buy just the buttons, My DV09 made it 3 years before the post wobble started to drive me nuts when I changed strings, and my 2008 12 string made it to just recently til I noticed it was taking more time to dial in. Both had Pings, got Gotohs and and I got new buttons as I replaced the tuner too. Huge difference for me.

:+1:

I switched to Gotoh 510 deltas and haven't looked back. Superb!
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: 29er on February 06, 2010, 05:50:10 AM
I'm pretty ignorant in the world of Larrivee, so please forgive what is likely a silly question  :blush:

I just bought a 2006 custom OM-09MQ that has gold tuners stamped with "Larrivee" on the back.  Are these Ping tuners?  I ask because I want to replace the pearloid buttons with ebony and need to know what I have before I go-a-shoppin'

Thanks!
Are these buttons like Mother of Pearl or more like the color of the ivoroid neck binding?

My buttons look like MOP, not like the neck binding.  As for the other responces, I have noticed that these tuners aren't real consistent.  Some of them take much more turning before the pitch is changed.  Maybe it would be best just to replace them,eh?

I tend to prefer vintage style, open gear tuners anyway.  It seems like from what little I've read here that the Pings are not as well liked as other options.
Martin 000-15S
Voyage Air OM
Warmoth Strat

Quote from: 29er on February 06, 2010, 01:13:47 PM
My buttons look like MOP, not like the neck binding.  As for the other responces, I have noticed that these tuners aren't real consistent.  Some of them take much more turning before the pitch is changed.  Maybe it would be best just to replace them,eh?

I tend to prefer vintage style, open gear tuners anyway.  It seems like from what little I've read here that the Pings are not as well liked as other options.
Try tightening the button screw a little bit. Pings have a sliding shaft and slip sometimes because the gears are not seating together very well. If you take a button off the shaft will move in and out. (Kinda cheap actually)

Quote from: 29er on February 06, 2010, 01:13:47 PM

Here is a direct importer for Gotoh, e-mail him, or just give him a call (great guy) if you decide to change machines and buttons, probably won't be much more than just buttons with freight.

Domo International
Scott Ando
250 H St
Suite 633
Blaine, WA 98230
888-274-4286
email: domointl@gmail.com

And the catalog link.

http://www.sounds-planet.com/gotoh_catalog/gotoh-e/gotoh-index.html

How's that for enabling?  :winkin:

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Excellent!  Thanks a bunch  :wave
Martin 000-15S
Voyage Air OM
Warmoth Strat