Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I Being Silly??  (Read 1180 times)
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2003, 09:15:35 PM »

:(
My husband (bless him) was asked by some friends if they could borrow a guitar over Thanksgiving. Without hesitating, he answered "yes." Hence the problem: Although I am by nature a generous person, I'm uneasy about loaning out one of my guitars anyhow, and the house to which it would be going is filled with chain smokers. With apologies to any smokers on the forum, I'm worried. My rosewood Yairi doesn't go anywhere without me. They don't want to play his 12-string Fender. That leaves the Big Baby, and a really horrible cracked old low-end Epiphone with terrible action (which can't stay in tune for more than a minute or two). Would the wood retain the smoke smell, or just the case?

We've been married a long time with very few arguments, but I can see one brewing over this. Extra guitars are not necessarily "spare" guitars.

Help!

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 09:39:33 PM »

Being a smoker yes it will stink up the case,it may leave a film on the guitar.
Next problem...Only loan gear to those who will respect it and treat it well...
I know 2 people who I'll loan a guitar to...Koamon,he lives here in town and he's very anal...just as long as he doesn't tell his wife, she hates me because she thinks I'm his anabler{spelling}
I've got a friend and guitarbrother in Miami that can borrow from me anytime,as a matter of fact he has my L05 right now seems he like's it better then his Taylor taht's always throwing fits lately.Please don't jump on me for this last statement. :rolleyes:  

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
GIGGLER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 07:22:55 PM »

Letting someone borrow your guitar is touchy. Is your friendship worth bad feelings that develop after they smash your instrument?

I caught my son about to use a penny as a pick on my '74 Gibson L6S. He had no concept of taking care of something that he didn't pay for.....after all, he didn't have to reenlist for 4 years in the Marine Corps to get the bonus $$$ to buy it.

He doesn't get to play the Gibby any more.  angry  

Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.
flaggerphil

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 12:21:28 AM »

I would say you're ok with the Big Baby...unless they have it for a considerably long time, the smoke shouldn't bother it too much.  I've had two of them and have taken one of them into the house of a heavy smoker.  The smell left the gig bag fairly quickly and I never noticed anything on the guitar.

Hopefully, your husband promised people who take care of guitars that they could borrow one.  There are only a couple of people I'd let borrow some of my guitars...I won't let anyone borrow my Breedlove or my Taylor Pelican.  There are a number of people I'd let borrow my Taylor 110, my Parlor or my Strat  And there are some people I won't let anywhere near ANY of them!

Phil

"History is something that never happened, written by someone who wasn't there."

R. Taylor Style 1 WR
Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
Taylor GS Custom
Taylor PG-LTD
Taylor 600-SPEC
Taylor 510-LTD
Taylor 510 Cocobolo
Taylor 412-M
sully

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 10:01:59 PM »

Giggler, do you like your L6-S? I've got a black 78 L6-S, had it since it was new. Mine's held up nicely, even with some admittedly poor care at times over the years. I've got a Fender twin Reverb i play through. What kind of amp do you like for yours?
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 01:10:14 PM »

I say keep the guitar and loan your husband out. See how HE likes it.
theres a shop in this city where the entire staff smokes and EVERY guitar I bought there takes time to get the smell out.  
Imapickn

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 03:48:20 PM »

The ONLY guitar I would loan them, if I were you, is the Epiphone..... ONLY....   Shame on your husband for even asking you...  Make him understand.... if he loves and respects you, he will back off..... They are YOUR guitars...
Good luck..... keep us posted... (maybe show him this thread) ;)  
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 04:57:34 PM »

He did lend them the Epiphone. He apologized and said he wasn't thinking. Domestic tranquility has been restored. :P

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: