Best low-priced guitar you've played - would take and leave on a mission trip

Started by rockstar_not, February 01, 2010, 07:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm going to Peru in July.  One of the things I'd like to do is take a guitar with me to help with the kid's school that we are helping at, and then eventually leave the guitar/case/strings with one of the teachers at the school.

The trip is already costing us quite a pretty penny.  I'm looking for the best deal that you can think of with a playable guitar, and a cheap but airplane-worthy case (I don't know if we're flying United or not).

-Scott

Those Guild cartoon guitars would have been the ticket, but I don't think they are available anymore.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Inexpensive is relative!

I just went on a search for one. Chose the sub $300 range. Quite the best to me were the Art & Lutherie and the Hohner Essential series. (+ - $250) Both were well made good sounding very playable gits. Good looking low bling. I particularly liked the Hohner Essential, but was too tight at the nut for me. But cases are extra.

Gator makes a Lite case that may be a good solution Has straps and pouches on the nylon cover and seems to have good protection for reasonable cost about $65
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: rockstar_not on February 01, 2010, 07:46:28 AM
I'm going to Peru in July.  I'm looking for the best deal that you can think of with a playable guitar, and a cheap but airplane-worthy case (I don't know if we're flying United or not).
Can't offer advice about the guitar but I've been looking into airplane worthy cases lately and something I've learned may prove helpful.  Major airlines - United, American, Delta for example - draw the line these days for "oversized luggage" at 62-65 inches for the combined length, width and height of an item.  Above that they charge $150 (or more) each way.  You can verify this by Googling "American oversized luggage" or the equivalent for whatever airline you're interested in.

Of course, you're probably thinking of carrying it on the plane.  From what I understand, people have varying experiences trying to do this and "best practice" is to get a letter in advance from the airline saying it's okay.  I have no idea what it'd cost to ship a guitar to Peru, but you might want to consider that alternative.
Gary - RS-4 (for sale), Bourgeois VOM

Given the intended purpose, you probably want a laminate back/sides simply for durability and resistance to humidity changes.

I'm going to go way out into left field and suggest you look at the Chinese made copies of the Tacomas that fender licensed under the "Olympia" brand name.  Since the line has been discontinued they can be had fairly reasonably.  I picked this one up for $200 for use as a "gig guitar", and for when I have to travel by airline, and it honestly sounds much better than a $200 guitar should. 

This one has the very playable bolt on neck that Tacoma used on the Chiefs and Roadkings, but they also made standard Dreads.

Quote from: rockstar_not on February 01, 2010, 07:46:28 AM

Those Guild cartoon guitars would have been the ticket, but I don't think they are available anymore.

Hey Scott,

Not sure if you meant the Gretsch Americana series of 'cartoon' guitars, but if so I would second that. I picked up a second hand one on the *bay for $36. A little tweaking of the truss rod and replacing the strings with EJ16s resulted in not a bad sounding little guitar that was comfortable and easy to play. I ended up replacing the plastic saddle with a spare one I had lying around and that made a huge positive difference to the tone. They look like toys, but don't sound like toys. The finish is pretty bomb-proof too - I have had mine out on a stand for 3+ months with my two young daughters running around an playing it, plus my 1 yo nephew here for a couple of weeks.

If you can find one used on eBay they are worth a look. Some second hand ones have never actually been played as I think a number of folks bought them to hang on their walls as mainly display items.

Take care, Jared
"Faith"    2009 Larrivee FIII LSV-03HB (IS/Hog)

Quote from: AZLiberty on February 01, 2010, 10:02:36 AM

I'm going to go way out into left field and suggest you look at the Chinese made copies of the Tacomas that fender licensed under the "Olympia" brand name. 

This one has the very playable bolt on neck that Tacoma used on the Chiefs and Roadkings, but they also made standard Dreads.

If it has a bolt-on neck, you have the option of taking the neck off and packing it in a suitcase -  might be easier to carry on, or send through the usual baggage handling...

...if you pack it in a suitcase with the strings/neck off, you could stuff a lot of socks, underwear and T-shirts inside the body - so the guitar wouldn't necessarily be wasting space! Just remember to take along the necessary tools to reattach the neck when you get there.

And bless you for going - I'm hoping to go to Haiti later this year...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

This is one i left behind in home for AIDs orphans in old Delhi;

remember to take loads of strings, save up your old sets for this if they are not to worn out, a few books, and a pitch pipe - but nothing that needs batteries tho... think a few years down the road what it will need...

I will be in Delhi later this month and am looking forward to seeing this guitar again, i'm taking 25 sets of strings that i have taken off my guitars for them, and a new Mel Bay book

If anyone knows where i can find some hottt bollywood tab's, i would print that out, and take it as well... that's what the kids wanted to play

d.

Martin LXM if you are going to leave this behind.

I bought one for my son and it has been through desert heat of Iraq, Pacific NW humidity and rain and other temperature extremes. I paid $240 plus tax for a brand new one less than two years ago. Any wooden guitar is going to be abused especially left in the hands of the inexperienced.

Scot, what ever guitar you take will be blessed by your generosity,  :+1: God Bless my friend, great job.  :thumb
cheers
fongie

Quote from: jshowyin on February 01, 2010, 11:42:22 AM
Hey Scott,

Not sure if you meant the Gretsch Americana series of 'cartoon' guitars, but if so I would second that. I picked up a second hand one on the *bay for $36. A little tweaking of the truss rod and replacing the strings with EJ16s resulted in not a bad sounding little guitar that was comfortable and easy to play. I ended up replacing the plastic saddle with a spare one I had lying around and that made a huge positive difference to the tone. They look like toys, but don't sound like toys. The finish is pretty bomb-proof too - I have had mine out on a stand for 3+ months with my two young daughters running around an playing it, plus my 1 yo nephew here for a couple of weeks.

If you can find one used on eBay they are worth a look. Some second hand ones have never actually been played as I think a number of folks bought them to hang on their walls as mainly display items.

Take care, Jared

Yes, these are the ones.  I'm going to have a look now at the Bay!
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Would probably recommend either an A&L, the Norman series from Godin or the Martin "X" series.  The Normans are all plywood.  The one's I've played have sounded decent. They are usually the cheapest out there, too.  (In MN the B15 and B20 are under $300.)

If given the choice, you might want to ship it down there so there are no hassles or surcharges with the airlines. 
Eric P.
------------------------
Larrivee L-01
Lind 00-21S
'30s Biltmore
a few others

Good sounding all purpose dread with a 1 5/8" nut, I like Yamaha.  I prefer a wider nut, 1 3/4" or 1 7/8"... there a are a couple options that are great....Seagull S6 used will be under $300, or a Norman.  Both are made by Godin and have a cedar top.  Not great strummers but great tone.  It just depends on what you want.   As for a case, I'm sure the airline will destroy anything they get their hands on :(
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

This thread is so amazing! My church just got back from a trip to Peru.

I built a size 2 guitar for the guitar player who was going, to use it and leave it. That is a parlor sized guitar, but with a normal short scale. She found it had plenty volume for it's intended use, and was greatly recieved by the church she left it at.

She carried it onboard all the way, checking in advance with the airline and got approval, and it rode in the little closet, in the thinnest gig-bag. It's all about faith!

Nice work David, beautiful looking guitar.  Love the slot head.  Is it mahogany?  How many guitars have you built?
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Hi.
Yes it's Honduras Mahogany and a Carpathian spruce top.
I don't know for sure, 50+ of all instruments, guitar, mandolin, ukulele, a banjo!  I've been at it since the early 70's.

Quote from: bluesman67 on February 02, 2010, 07:33:34 PM
Nice work David, beautiful looking guitar. 

I have to agree.  That guitar has an understated elegance that is very attractive.

Great information all.  David, care to make another guitar?  Just kidding - well, not entirely :tongue:

We are going to Huancayo area with Compassion International.  Where was your trip?  Can you offer any tips?

We have an option to go to Macchu Pichu (sp?) but it is an extra $900 per person.  We could sponsor another child through Compassion for several years for the cost that this extra trip would cost.  I'm conflicted.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I'd say a used Art & Lutherie on eBay...sometimes they go for dirt if they have a few dings in them.

Hey...do you want to take an extra suitcase of slightly used strings with you?  I save mine and donate them, if you want them, PM me and I'll mail them to you (a one gallon ziploc bag full).

This is a very cool thing that you are doing...
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Hey Rock-not,
I didn't go myself, the guitar went for me, but there were 20 of our folks went, Anduhulas, in the mountains. If you want "tips" for your group, email me at dnewton4022 at sbcglobal dot net and I'll have one of our group fill you in. There's a ton of stuff that could help.

Since you are going to leave it you may want to also check Craigslist in your area.  Many good inexpensive guitars on there if you know what to look for.  I would have given you my old laminate top, import  Harmony to take but sold it a couple weeks ago for  $75 to a girl going to Belize.  Thats a great thing you are doing. :bowdown:

Regards,
Tony
Compensating my poor skills with a big beautiful jumbo.
J10E