Steve Earle and Kris Krisstofferson on Austin Limits

Started by Walkerman, January 31, 2010, 09:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last nigh,  Earle did a tribute set to Townes Van Zandt.  It was very good...as was his guitar playing.
I wasn't so impressed with Kris.  His songs were great, but his guitar playing was mostly very heavy-handed strumming.
All in all, though, an enjoyable show.  Earle looks old.

And he ( EARLE) only turned 55 last week!!!!!!!! Man!!!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Thumbs up for Steve Earle.   Did a good job on the TVZ songs he played.   He had trouble fitting in all the lyrics to "Mr. Gold and Mr. Mud" which is understandable.  Perhaps Townes himself was the only one who could do that song justice;l  and he made it look easy.   

Mr. Kristofferson, as Walkerman says, was not up to par.    He played one song and then used the exact same strumming pattern which didn't really fit well on the next song "Me and Bobbie  Magee"  He kinda found the groove after a verse or two.  His voice is very weak and I wonder if he has some health issues going on.

All in all a good show though.   Steve Earle's obvious worship of TVZ came through loud and clear.

I recorded it but have not watched it yet...
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

I'd love to have seen it...Earle and TVZ are up there on my list of favs.

Perhaps I've shared this story here, but oh well, I love it:
Apparently a young (19ish) Earle was playing in a club and TVZ was in the front row, absolutely smashed drunk, and mocking Steve.  Earle then proceeded to play a TVZ song that had something like 20 verses...and nailed it.  TVZ apologized after the show.

As far as "Steve's looking old..." ...aren't we all these days? 
He certainly looks better than he did when he was 270 pounds back in the early-mid 1990s.

P
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: pennerblue on January 31, 2010, 11:43:24 PM
I'd love to have seen it...Earle and TVZ are up there on my list of favs.

Perhaps I've shared this story here, but oh well, I love it:
Apparently a young (19ish) Earle was playing in a club and TVZ was in the front row, absolutely smashed drunk, and mocking Steve.  Earle then proceeded to play a TVZ song that had something like 20 verses...and nailed it.  TVZ apologized after the show.

As far as "Steve's looking old..." ...aren't we all these days? 
He certainly looks better than he did when he was 270 pounds back in the early-mid 1990s.

P

Steve, in fact, told that story on the show.   Townes was drunk in the front row and heckling him.  Shouting "play the Wabash Cannonball"  until Steve finally sang one of Townes' own songs:   Mr Gold and Mr. Mud, which is a masterpiece of storytelling that relies on a very fast pace and lots of lyrics.  That's the one I mentioned in my above post.   It's a good rendition of one of my favorite TVZ tunes.  I admit, I can't begin to cover it myself.  Wish I could.     I can get "Greensboro Woman" right occasionally.   

A neat bit of trivia on Steve Earle.  He played a recovered addict on the HBO series "The Wire"--can't remember his character's name, but he was sort of the sponsor for Bubbles, another character.    I watched an entire season and didn't know it was him.   He's a pretty good actor.

Jeff
OMV-40
OM-3R
LV-03
Martin OMC-15E
Late 70's Univox Acoustic
Kentucky Mandolin

Quote from: Jeff on February 01, 2010, 12:26:30 PM
A neat bit of trivia on Steve Earle.  He played a recovered addict on the HBO series "The Wire"--can't remember his character's name,  He's a pretty good actor.

Jeff

The Wire that was a great show  believe his name on the show was Walon
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Earle was great on ACL. I've never had a chance to see him live so this was the closest thing for me. Kris was...ok. I didn't mind the performance, but it wasn't anything compelling..he was definitely off.
Gordon

--
Larrivée D-03R
Alvarez AD-60K
Alvarez 5020SB
First Act Sheena LE003 (don't knock it, it's a handmade, insanely good axe)
Schecter C7

I have friends that love Earle, personally I don't get it at all. NOthing special as a guitar player and certainly not as a guitar player. Townes either for the most part. Depression and excessive alcohol consumption seem to be common threads for all three. A rather tired and tiring subject. Reminds me of when actors come on late night talk shows and tell stories that are supposed to be amusing because it's something they did when they were drunk. Yawn.

Quote from: Jeff on February 01, 2010, 12:26:30 PM
A neat bit of trivia on Steve Earle.  He played a recovered addict on the HBO series "The Wire"--can't remember his character's name, but he was sort of the sponsor for Bubbles, another character.    I watched an entire season and didn't know it was him.   He's a pretty good actor.

Jeff

Maybe he wasn't acting......

Quote from: tubeornot2b on February 14, 2010, 12:49:46 AM
I have friends that love Earle, personally I don't get it at all. NOthing special as a guitar player and certainly not as a guitar player. Townes either for the most part. Depression and excessive alcohol consumption seem to be common threads for all three. A rather tired and tiring subject. Reminds me of when actors come on late night talk shows and tell stories that are supposed to be amusing because it's something they did when they were drunk. Yawn.

Earle is quite the songwriter....there's some real gems on Copperhead Road ( a must if you don't have it).  Snake Oil and The Devil's Right Hand are classics, IMHO.  When Johnny Comes Marching Home and the title song a very good too.

Steve is a great songwriter and pretty fine musician but he's not very likable, in my opinion. I do like his son Justin a lot though.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try to watch for it.  Earle's tributes to Townes are so heartful and touching... 
Larrivee L-04Re
Gibson ES125
Lanakai Concert Acoustic/Electric Uke (eh, Plugged in it sounds good)

Like Johnny Cash, Earle is not afraid to tackle any subject and has a great knack for telling stories.  And, like Cash, he pretty much "flips off"  the country music establishment with his every move.

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: pennerblue on February 18, 2010, 01:12:28 AM
Like Johnny Cash, Earle is not afraid to tackle any subject and has a great knack for telling stories.  And, like Cash, he pretty much "flips off"  the country music establishment with his every move.

No, actually I like that about him. Having seen him twice, I just don't like him. He flips off his audience and that's not cool, at all.

Quote from: tubeornot2b on February 14, 2010, 12:49:46 AM
I tend to agree. I've never heard a song by Steve Earle that I like, nor have I heard anyone else doing an Earle song that I liked.  He strikes me as the kind of guy that takes himself too seriously, and that's a turn-off for me.  I did "get" Townes though, for the most part.  But I do think Townes did Townes the best.  I've not heard anyone who really does his stuff justice. 

PS - Kris K is a terrible guitarist, but great songwriter. 

Quote from: the creature on February 18, 2010, 01:40:33 PM
  I've not heard anyone who really does his stuff justice. 

Not even Emmy Lou?

Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: pennerblue on February 19, 2010, 12:40:08 AM
Not even Emmy Lou?
I've only heard her version of Pancho and Lefty, and so far I only like Townes' version of that one.