L-03r Vs L-09: Which Would You Choose?

Started by BretFuzz, October 13, 2004, 12:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've decided on a rosewood larrivee L model, but I'm trying to sort out if it is worth it to go with an L-09. I love the look and playability of the L-09, but It's a little (but not far) out of my price range. On the other hand, I can afford an L-03r, but it definitely doesn't look as nice, and I'm told (who knows if this is true or not) that the finish will last better on the L-09.

What would you do?

It's what you prefer.  2 or 3 years down the road, will you be wishing you had spend the extra $$$s, or will you be happy with what you bought?  A few hundred dollars over the life of a guitar is not significant.  

Unclrob (Rob at www.andysguitars.com) has some great deals on NOS models.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo

What Bing said +1.

You can find deals on the -09s and even the -10s if you are patient. Look for listings for blems, used and shopworn. You will put dings in them eventually anyway and you can save a ton of money that way.

If the -09 is what you really want, go for it. Otherwise you will be like the guy who gets tomato juice, then slaps his head and says, "I could have had a V-8."

This from a guy who has two -03s. My reasons were that blackwood and koa (my two woods of choice) are in short supply and I got what I consider to be great deals on them. The buffing (orsinoizing -- Tom, you have now become a gerund) which I did on them makes a HUGE difference in the finish and appearance. I love the effect. The one thing I miss is an abalone rosette. If I could have gotten that on the -03 I would have been happy.

Also wish to echo what Bing said about contacting Rob. He will definitely take care of you!
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

ditto! ;)  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Yeah, Call Unclrob. i think he has L-09 in stock. I'm sure he will give you the best deal

The 09 is prettier but may not necessarily sound better. I have an L-03R and used the money I saved for an iBeam and Para DI and still had extra money left over compared to an 09. But the 09 sure is purdy.
Larrivee L-03R with iBeam passive and LR Bigs ParaDI
Aria AC50
Robert Cray Stratocaster
Ibanez AS 73 Artcore
Fender Precision Standard Bass
Traynor YCV 40T
Roland Cube 30
Yorkville XM 50
Aria FA 71

I may be wrong, but aren't the woods used in the -05 and -09 Series "Select" woods as compared to the -03 Series?  In other words, besides cosmetics and the finish, aren't the woods used in in the -05 and -09 a higher grade?

I had the same delema... I was thinking "get the 03" cause I can afford it, and it is a great sounding guitar. So, I ordered the LV-03r, but then after a few minutes, I called back and switched my order to the LV-09... I decided that not only did I want a great sounding guitar, but for a couple hundred more I could also have a great looking guitar as well. I'm not a guitar trading type of guy and knew that I would have it for many years to come. I am VERY happy I upgraded from my original choice... I think Dave is happy too   ;)  

I know everyone including Larrivee that the wood on the 05's and 09's is a better selection of wood but we've gottin in some incredable 03's.Just take your time and go for tone and feel.
By the way thanks for the approval guy. :)  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

OK I understand that "select" translates into improved asthetics/appearance, but does it mean improved sound over the "less select" of the 03 series. I know that there will be variances amongst the various series from one specific guitar to another, but as a rule do 05/09's sound a bit better than 03's?

Here is were it becomes a personnal pref.I get people in all the time who will argue the finner points of which sounds better.I own a L03 Blackwood which is a satin finish and a D09Blackwood which is a gloss finish both are great guitars in there own rite.Do I prefer one over the other for sound,No they are both distinct tone's.Do I play one more then the other Yes.Mostly because the Neil young effect doesn't seem to ocur on the L body were as when I play a dread I have the uncontrolable erge to wrap by body around the dread like a Boa ie the Neil Young effect. :D  
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

QuoteOK I understand that "select" translates into improved asthetics/appearance, but does it mean improved sound over the "less select" of the 03 series. I know that there will be variances amongst the various series from one specific guitar to another, but as a rule do 05/09's sound a bit better than 03's?
Part of how a guitar sounds deals with the finish used.  For example, all other things being equal, a guitar with a French polish finish will sound different that a guitar will a gloss nitro finish.

In addition, certain finishes "cure" over time, changing the tone.  My understanding of the difference between the satin finish and the gloss finish on Larrivee instruments is that there is not that much difference at all, the gloss finish having been rubbed out and the satin finish not being rubbed out.  I may be wrong, but I remember hearing that the thickness of the two finishes are the same and the material used is the same.  If this is the case, I fail to see how the finish of the -03, comparared to the finish of an-05 or -09 model, is any different, as far as affecting the tone produced by the instrument.

As to woods, the whole "Select" thing is a can of worms.  There are those that use the term to mean a more pleasing look to the wood, as opposed to superior sonic capabilites.  Others use the word to mean better sounding wood.  I believe, from personal anecdotal experience, that the appearance of the wood does not necessarily speak to the sound it will make.  For example, my Collings OM-1AC has the absolute ugliest Adirondack top I have ever seen.  It's an incredible sounding instrument, and edges out other OM-1ACs I have played.  On the other hand, my Larrivee OM-05 has one of the most beautiful sitka tops I've ever seen, yet the guitar is an average OM-05, as good as but certainly not better than many other OM-05s I've played.

agreed.Now back to it being personal prefence.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Like others have said if you want an 09 then look used or NOS (new old stock) or for a blem.  My L-03R was a blem and I got a pretty good deal on it.  First of all the "blem" was so minute that I would have never noticed it on my own, secondly 4-5 days ago I put a ding in it that is easily 2x the size of the "blem".  Sooner or later they're all blems anyway.

I say just get the LV-03, and play that puppy like it was the most beautiful guitar ever made.

If your goal with this guitar is to impress people with your fancy guitar, then get the LV-09. If you want to impress them with your playing, either one will work just fine. You really can't go wrong.

I use mine as a tool, not a work of art. frankly, I think I'd be a little afraid to take my LV-03E out to gigs, friends houses and the such, if it were any nicer...in otherwords, if I got that LV-09 or any of the other fancy ones, that puppy would be locked in a closet in it's case while I used one of my crappy guitars to take the daily beating.

but that's just me.

Do I have to pay for it?  That is the question I would ask.  I couldn't afford an 9 series at this time, so the answer would be the 3 series.  But if money weren't an issue than the 9 series would definitely be the one!

;)  
Mike Jones

Larrivee D-03R
K&K Pure Western P/U
Seagull S 12+
Ultrasound Ag30P
ESP EC 100-QM
Webstrings Lights

When buying a house, I've often heard to buy the most house that you can afford.  I'm not sure if that applies to guitars or not.

As you can see from my sig., "I" would buy the L-09 (especially at the price Rob has his Pelican L-09 at).  

However, as I said earlier, "You" should get what you want.  If you ask 100 people, you'll probably get a fairly divided opinion on this subject.  Bottom line is, if the looks are worth the extra $$$, then go for it.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo