Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: '58 Gibson LG1  (Read 683 times)
The Hickman

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2010, 09:59:36 PM »

My buddy is looking at buying a tobacco sunburst '58 Gibson LG1 for $750 (including a new case that fits like a was made for that guitar) from a mutual friend, and is asking me if it is a good deal or not.
     It's in good condition. Cosmetically, it's only in "OK" condition. Has cracks and missing pieces in the binding. It had some minor cracks on the back and sides, all of which have been repaired with postage stamp sized spruce. Guitar needs a good cleaning and a new saddle. It has a plastic saddle or some sort of composite saddle on it. Tonally, this thing sounds AMAZING! It plays and sounds fantastic. It looks like a $300 "ebay special" but sounds like a $3500 angel! He will probably spend another $200 to $400 on this when all is said and done. So, is tone alone a good reason to buy this guitar? I do not know ANYTHING about this model.

Sincerely,
-The Hickman

You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
                                                       -Psalm 16:17
norton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 10:25:48 PM »

If the guitar is in good shape other than the cosmetic issues, and with the good case the $ is probably not out of line.  Maybe just a little steep for a LG1 as you can still find some out there for substantially less than the X-braced LG-2s and 3s which have gone way up.  I love the ladder brace sound and get along with pretty narrow necks, but some of those - typically from the early 60s - are really thin! 

Gibson prices only seem to have slowed a bit during the recent economic unpleasantness.  Oscar Schmidt Stellas on the other hand have been going for a fraction of what they were bringing two years ago.  If your friend likes the ladder tone but likes wide necks and loud(!) he can probably find a pretty nice Schmidt for that price with a little digging.  A Harmony Sovereign is another good ladder at less money.  The 000 size H1203 is a great guitar that can be found for less than half, maybe a third, of what a little LG-1 brings.   

They're all great!
Big Eric

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 01:36:51 PM »

That's a good, decent price.  Not a killer deal, right now.  But not a rip off, either.  If your friend likes it, and has the money, might not be a bad deal.  Just make sure the neck doesn't need a reset.  The tops on ladder braced Gibsons can distort after time.

Like Norton mentions, there are other choices out there.  (I also like old ladder braced guitars and own and play a couple.)  Still, if he likes that guitar, I'd say go for it.  Especially if it has a good case.

Eric P.
------------------------
Larrivee L-01
Lind 00-21S
'30s Biltmore
a few others
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: