Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martin Guitar Polish Question;  (Read 765 times)
jojo123

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2010, 02:32:17 AM »

Even though I do not own a Martin, for the holidays I was delighted to received a Martin Gift Set.  It includes 2 sets of Martin SP strings (light .12's), a 14 oz. tumbler glass (which I have already put to good use!), polishing cloth (always good to have), 6 picks (can never have enough), and a pretty good sized bottle of Martin Guitar polish. 

My question is about the Martin Guitar Polish.  It contains white mineral oil and processed castor oil.  That strikes me as strange to use (as in oily) on my satin-finish P-03.  I have just been using the blue cloth that came with the guitar to wipe the guitar down every few days.

Any opinions on the polish?  I have been playing for awhile but new to the world of quality acoustic guitars.  Thanks for any advice. 

P-03 OM-09  RS-4
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 03:27:16 AM »

You don't need to use a polish on a satin finished guitar. The definition of polish is 'to make glossy'. By definition if you polish a satin finished guitar it will no longer be satin. Of course it takes a lot of work to actually make the guitar glossy but there is no benefit to putting polish on your guitar unless you want to alter it. However it seems many people don't care about that and just like to feel they are doing something special to their guitar.

jojo123

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 03:00:18 AM »

jeremy3220 - Thank you for the information.  I will just stick to the blue cloth! 

P-03 OM-09  RS-4
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 04:12:29 AM »

yeah, I never Polish my D03r,
still looks so cool!
Dave
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 05:01:45 AM »

jeremy3220 - Thank you for the information.  I will just stick to the blue cloth! 

Sure thing

Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 07:09:02 AM »

I've used it for years. I wouldn't call it a "polish" but more of a cleaner. There is no fine aggregate or any sealers to create a polish on a satin finish ambient in the solution. I had a satin Seagull I used it on for the better part of 8 years and it was no more glossy than when it was new. It takes sweat marks off from the body very well, but I really like using it on the neck. Just feels better after cleaned.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 05:46:23 PM »

I've used it for years. I wouldn't call it a "polish" but more of a cleaner. There is no fine aggregate or any sealers to create a polish on a satin finish ambient in the solution. It takes sweat marks off from the body very well.

+1

Make sure you shake the bottle well before using. It will not change the appearance of your guitar, it just adds a little lubrication to the wiping process which may or may not prevent microscopic scratches (if your guitar is really dirty). A damp cloth will give you the same result without the scent.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: