D-03 in local store....advice needed pleease

Started by andy thompson, January 23, 2010, 06:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wow, what a lot of icons  :wink:

OK a brief resume, been learning for a year so far on a S@P S6 cedar and am getting a consistent tone but am getting a little uninspired by the treble.
The arts council in England are allowing anyone finance on an instrument, after travelling around and playing Blueridge, Guild, Breedlove etc Ive found a D03 less than a mile from home.

Well I loved the feel of the satin neck,couldnt believe it was a dread as it was so comfortable,(I play in classical position so dreads are normally too big) but...MAN THOSE STRINGS :yak: cleartones right?

Please help, I know its a little forward to jump straight in but...what do you owners think?  I like Newtone Masterclass on the S@P, very focused, not muddy like sunbeams and cedar, DR rares were musical, but again not defined (A product of the ancient tusq saddle and cedar I think).

Anything else to look out for? Humidity issues?

Anyway thanks in advance.maybe post pics in a couple of weeks  :cheers
If I was where I would be, then Id be where I am not, here I am where I must be, where I would be I cannot....Bert Jansch.

Clearetones  :yak: :yak: :yak:

Change to D'Addario EJ 17's or other PB med and it's a different  (and sublime) guitar.

Yes, check the top and  bottom; sunken? cracks?  Frets on lifting on the edges ? Too dry.  Best to have it checked by a competant tech if you are not sure. But Larrivees are generally solidly made and relatively rugged.

Good Luck!  :nice guitar:
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Thanks, yeah I know a good tech, not far away. I really think I might go for this, Im not good enough, I dont deserve it :crying:, but well if it gets me practicing again  :drool:
If I was where I would be, then Id be where I am not, here I am where I must be, where I would be I cannot....Bert Jansch.

Hi...

Well IMO,and as you probably realize by now,"these" Larrivee Dreads are quite "something"!

I was scoping around last year and came upon a D-O3R.Jumped on it at a very fine price,and am still tickled with it.

You'll know what I mean from the looks of things.

Good luck

Sure felt lovely, just cant believe those strings :yak:

Also noticed its been listed on Ebay since march :ohmy: so Im going to take a straight edge and negotiate a 7 day trial.

Going away for 4 days  (no not to prison) so please dont think I am just passing through.

Hey, don't knock your ability or if you deserve the guitar. I bought my first Larrivee in 2008, and learned 10 times faster for having such a good instrument. The cleartones are awful in my opinion. I swear by Newtone Masterclass PBs on larrivees.

One thing that strikes me though is that if you play in the classical position and like a bigger sound, maybe an L03 would be a better shout. Just a suggestion. Wider neck too.

Best of luck.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Yeah maybe, well yes your completely correct, it would. However I dont have the cash, the Arts council are doing a 0% finance, the D-03 has £100 off, although right at the end of my budget. I never dreamed I could afford a Larrivee, and its less than a mile from my house.

First guitar, a Yamaha FG403 was really uncomfortable sitting, felt like a cello. My S@P S6 I thought, maybe because of its short scale, was a 000 or OM, Ive only just found out thats a dread :blush: and that was fine. I have a home made leather and polystyrene apoyo which helps.

The other caveat is a neck up. I saw a youtube clip of someone positioning this on his right thigh which looked quite interesting.

Thanks for your informed comments.

What is it about gravitating to Canadian guitars?, first the S@P S6  now a D03  :cheers

The beauty of buying a good guitar now is that when it is paid off, you could trade later as you progress. I bought a D, and as I progressed from strumming to picking I went to an OM and an LS. I bought the OM for 700, had it a year and just sold it for 550 with a lot of play time on it.

You ultimately won't regret going with a Larrivee, they are a step above anything else in the price range, especially in the UK. It WILL improve your desire to learn, and therefore your skills.

By the way, you might not feel the love for Newtone strings on here, as they are 3 times the price in N America.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Get rid of those Cleartones!  Switch them out for Daddarrio EXP17's and don't look back.  Mediums will make that guitar sing.  Larrivee is now shipping all guitars with EXP17's.....They finally figured it out.
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

Quote from: BenF on January 24, 2010, 07:04:45 AM
The beauty of buying a good guitar now is that when it is paid off, you could trade later as you progress. I bought a D, and as I progressed from strumming to picking I went to an OM and an LS. I bought the OM for 700, had it a year and just sold it for 550 with a lot of play time on it.

You ultimately won't regret going with a Larrivee, they are a step above anything else in the price range, especially in the UK. It WILL improve your desire to learn, and therefore your skills.

By the way, you might not feel the love for Newtone strings on here, as they are 3 times the price in N America.
It was fun to watch your progress Ben. This is a good word to anyone wanting to improve.

Quote from: 247hoopsfan on January 24, 2010, 10:34:22 AM
Get rid of those Cleartones!  Switch them out for Daddarrio EXP17's and don't look back.  Mediums will make that guitar sing.  Larrivee is now shipping all guitars with EXP17's.....They finally figured it out.

Worth its weight in gold..thanks

Andy    :welcome:

:donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut :donut2   :coffee      :wave

My favorite strings are Newtone Masterclass, but use DR Sunbeams mostly.  Half the $$$  (couldn't find the Pound symbol on my keyboard   :blush:)

I play left leg classical position fingerstyle, and use a Neck-up device  :thumbsup about half the time.  I alternate between that and a foot stool.
It gives my aging back a break to change positions during playing. :guitar
Link to Neck-up web site:   http://www.neckup.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=HM

I dont play a 'D' shaped guitar, but the Larrivee  'L' has the same sized lower bout with a bit narrower waist.
:nanadance  You will really like the Larrivee if you decide to go that way.    :nana_guitar

:cop: I dont think there are too many icons...     :ph34r:       :roll

ds    :beer
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

I have a Larrivee D03r and elixers work great for me.
I dont like to change strings much..good luck on the guitar.
One of the best guitar builders out there,
Selling a Martin to get another Larrivee!
dave

Thanks guys, much appreciated, my last post for three days, will report back soon :beer

Just think you buy one Larry and then you end up catching the bug- like me! My DO3R is a great guitar.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Update...was focusing hard to offset other urgencies,,thanks...well I got turned down for finance!!!Ha, we have experian over here and I scored high on line survey oh well, getting tax rebate soon so gonna order new saddle and Newtones for shop, its been there ages, if I put a deposit and leave with fresh strings.well its good both ways..maybe  they could order an om o3 if they see some money, still £15 is a small price to pay for a lift :cheers