Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is the Larrivée DV body such a rare bird?  (Read 2925 times)
01strat

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2010, 03:00:30 AM »

Does anyone know why the Larrivée DV body is so rare?  Almost all the large manufacturers offer a dreadnought with cutaway in their lineup except Larrivée, which has only offered this body style in a very limited number in the past.  From talking to salespeople, I've heard that the D's are the least sold body style in the Larrivée lineup (this is strange since I personally thought the D's were best sellers) and that there isn't enough demand to include a cutaway version as a "regular" product offering.  I've no idea if there's any truth to this explanation as almost every dread in the Taylor and Takamine line is offered in a cutaway version.  Martin also offers many models of dreads with cutaways as well. 

If this question has been posted before, my apologies and if you could please direct me to the appropriate thread.  Thanks in advance for any opinions and comments!
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 03:17:51 AM »

You know I have wondered the same!! Good question

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 03:29:20 AM »

The DV and OMV body styles were discontinued just a few years ago, leaving the LV the only cutaway in the Larrivée line. Heck, even the J body (jumbo) was discontinued. Don't ask me why. I'm assuming it had something to do with sales and keeping the product line streamlined.

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 03:46:21 AM »

The DV and OMV body styles were discontinued just a few years ago, leaving the LV the only cutaway in the Larrivée line. Heck, even the J body (jumbo) was discontinued. Don't ask me why. I'm assuming it had something to do with sales and keeping the product line streamlined.

Yes sales or lack of I think is something we have accepted as the reason BUT the Dread to my knowledge never really had a V pushed/promoted, And as well is there a great saving to the company by streamlining? I could think of a few points to suggest that it may not be BUT don't wanna suggest I have an inkling of a clue of the guitar manufacturing business.

Having said this I never really considered owning a Larrivee Dread as the "L" always seemed to fullfill MY Dread needs and then some  

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 04:11:20 AM »

I have a DV09, absolutely love it. My one son has a Gibby dread and the other a Martin D-28 but when they visit it's take turns with dads DV, great balance for a dread and the cutaway is handy, I should have got the LV when I got my 12er but didn't think I would be playing above the 12th with it & I don't much. But when I do I sure miss that notch.

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 05:15:59 AM »

From talking to salespeople, I've heard that the D's are the least sold body style in the Larrivée lineup (this is strange since I personally thought the D's were best sellers)

Maybe it has something to do with the age of the average Larrivee buyer. I just can't play a dread anymore, have enough shoulder trouble with the L.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 05:31:26 PM »

I suspect Larrivee D's don't sell in huge numbers because Martin, and maybe to a smaller extent Gibson (the Songbird or Hummingbird) and Guild are thought of as more "proper" dreadnaught builders...certainly more popular south of the north border! So if Larrivee D's are smaller in number, then DV's will be an even smaller percentage of that.

I suspect, though, that Larrivee D-03's sell pretty well (compared to other 03 models), as they would compete incredibly well with Martin D-18's (and D-16's etc.) for sound, and certainly kill them in price-point!

I'm personally not a fan of dreads with a cutaway - just looks wrong, man!

But I DO like what Monte Montgomery can do with his beat up Alvarez dread - which has a cutaway! So there you have it!  wacko

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
01strat

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 04:56:44 AM »

I'm personally not a fan of dreads with a cutaway - just looks wrong, man!

Mikey man, I'm with you.  I'm generally not a fan of cutaways on dreads either.  But you know, the Larrivée implementation of the cutaway looks good.  It's a 90 degree Venetian cutaway that I like.  Some companies have Florentine cutaways on a dread that look just out of place to me.  The Martin dread cutaways point upwards like a horn that aren't as nice looking as Larrivée's flat cutaway.

But that's just me.  I have friends that simply love the cutaways on their dreads.  Probably the general population loves the look of cutaways since they're so popular with all the manufacturers these days?
silvereagle48

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 08:48:35 PM »

I just recently purchased a used DV-05E. It is a really nice guitar.  I didn't realize the DVs were rare. 

Charles Hoffman sj, H&D 00-sp, H&D Ds 12 fret, Taylor bto jumbo 12 string, Taylor bto GA, Martin HD-28-2r, Cole-Clark Fl3ac, Larrivee OM-05
Big Eric

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 08:54:18 PM »

Also not a fan of cutaway D models.  In general, though, don't like cutaways on flat tops.  So it's not just a bias against the D model.

Two exceptions spring to mind - Maccaferri styled guitars and the Taylor Leo Kottke model.

My playing never needs to go so high up anyway.  Three of my guitars are 12 fret models.

In case anyone is interested, there appears to be a used DV-03 at Spruce Tree Music in Madison, WI.

Eric P.
------------------------
Larrivee L-01
Lind 00-21S
'30s Biltmore
a few others
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: