The best song in the world

Started by Marlinark, January 13, 2010, 05:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Dr.Lee on July 14, 2010, 02:06:06 PM
To return to a Hendrix reference, its not a "song" per se, but the best Guitar solo ever IMHO, is the Iinstrumental Solo at the end of the "Woodstock" album, following, The Star Spangled Banner>Purple Haze. It you have the album, give it a listen, or you could find it with video on Youtube.
:+1: , can't find it on YouTube though :mad:
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF

Quote from: BenF on July 14, 2010, 02:20:06 PM
Glad you agree, Ben. I could be wrong about the Youtube, but I could swear I saw it there.

Lee
2014 Recording King RD-310
2015 Recording King RP-G6 Parlor
2016 Corboba C7 Cedar/Rosewood
2020 Larrivee OM-40 SBT
2023 Martin OM-18 Adirondack/Sinker Mahogany
"Character is what you are in the dark"

Quote from: Dr.Lee on July 14, 2010, 02:06:06 PM
Mark,
"In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" from the "Live at the Filmore" album is one of the greatest numbers ever.
To return to a Hendrix reference, its not a "song" per se, but the best Guitar solo ever IMHO, is the Iinstrumental Solo at the end of the "Woodstock" album, following, The Star Spangled Banner>Purple Haze. It you have the album, give it a listen, or you could find it with video on Youtube.
Thanks, Dr. I'll have to look that up.
Don't know what Hendrix was channeling, but it was other-worldly. I didn't really get it when he was living.

I didn't get it until I started learning to play.  Hendrix is also a hugely underrated singer, and Mitch Mitchell is one of the best drummers who ever lived. I think a lot of their songs stand up there with the very best, but are somewhat overwhelmed by the virtuoso nature of the guitar playing, which is what makes most people listen in the first place. Red House, The Wind Cries Mary, Remember - all outstanding songs. 
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Quote from: BenF on July 14, 2010, 02:20:06 PM
I just searched for it. The instrumental number is called "Villanova Junction". There are several covers and footage from the move.
Check it out. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkhSDj96MRA&feature=related              

Dr.
2020 Larrivee OM-40 SBT

Nice one! It is ages since I heard that. Your link didn't work for me but the title helped me find it. How does he play chords and then move his thumb about 5 frets without moving the rest of his hand. It's just not right.
Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

Quote from: BenF on July 14, 2010, 04:20:43 PM
Nice one! It is ages since I heard that. Your link didn't work for me but the title helped me find it. How does he play chords and then move his thumb about 5 frets without moving the rest of his hand. It's just not right.

Giant Freak Hands !!! :ph34r: I wish I had them !! :angry:

Dr.
2020 Larrivee OM-40 SBT

I'd like to put in a vote (actually three) for:

- "Last Night Of The World" by Bruce Cockburn
- "Comes A Time" by Neil Young
- "Four Strong Winds" by Ian Tyson
:thumbsup
:guitar

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

Quote from: canoe65 on July 21, 2010, 08:53:28 AM
I'd like to put in a vote (actually three) for:

- "Last Night Of The World" by Bruce Cockburn
- "Come A Time" by Neil Young
- "Four Strong Winds" by Ian Tyson
:thumbsup

Nice choices.

But Water is Wide must be the best song ever written. 

Was at Borders yesterday...saw the special edition of Rolling Stone.....according to them, and their list of the 500 greatest songs ever....

#3...Imagine
#2...Satisfaction
#1...Like a Rolling Stone

Go figure.....Chuck Berry's "My Ding-A-Ling" didn't even make the list.......

I'm changing my choice to Alice's Restaurant.

Quote from: Walkerman on July 21, 2010, 02:25:51 PM
Was at Borders yesterday...saw the special edition of Rolling Stone.....according to them, and their list of the 500 greatest songs ever....

#3...Imagine
#2...Satisfaction

Go figure...

..Chuck Berry's "My Ding-A-Ling" didn't even make the list.......

Walkerman
I wouldn't argue with any of those choices but you've got to take Rolling Stone Mag with a grain of salt.    They were also the ones who declared that "Tied to the Whippin' Post" from the Live at Fillmore East album was the "finest live rock performance ever committed to vinyl" in 2002.     Of the three songs you mentioned I'd rank them just as they are ranked by RS.   If any Chuck Berry tune was to be considered I would think it should be Johnny B Goode.       

Quote from: Walkerman on July 21, 2010, 02:25:51 PM

#3...Imagine
#2...Satisfaction

Who's Rolling Stone IMHO  :roll
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

"Star Spangled Banner" Whitney Houston or Marvin Gaye, but many will choose Hendrix instrumental
"America the Beautiful" Either Ray Charles or Keb Mo
"Halleluhjah" written by Cohen, performed by Jeff Buckley
Anyones list should contain something from Mark Knopfler. Maybe Dire Straights "Brothers In Arms"

I could go on, but didn't see these masterpieces mentioned yet.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Quote from: tuffythepug on July 21, 2010, 04:10:03 PM
Walkerman
I wouldn't argue with any of those choices but you've got to take Rolling Stone Mag with a grain of salt.    They were also the ones who declared that "Tied to the Whippin' Post" from the Live at Fillmore East album was the "finest live rock performance ever committed to vinyl" in 2002.     Of the three songs you mentioned I'd rank them just as they are ranked by RS.   If any Chuck Berry tune was to be considered I would think it should be Johnny B Goode.       

What was amazing was that while the Beatles didn't get into the top three, they totally dominated the top 100.  There were a number of Chuck Berry songs too.  The highest ranking Beatles songs were not their "rockers" but instead...Hey Jude, Let it Be and Yesterday.  The list makes interesting reading.  Besides garnering #1 for LARS, Dylan scored high for his early songs made famous by others....Blowin in the Wind and the Times they are a Changin, etc.

Quote from: GA-ME on July 23, 2010, 10:25:17 AM
Humour or no, it is a political statement and invites response in kind, no? Tsk, tsk.
Political? I think that's a stretch.
Nevertheless, I'll remove it lest anyone construe it as such.

Amazing Grace

I don't think there is another song that is so universally known around the world.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud