Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiscox Cases  (Read 3373 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2010, 08:53:32 AM »

So, what is the buzz around Hiscox cases, and what makes them special?
Well known builders supply their guitars with them like Lowden, Yamaha, Avalon, Maton, Cole, Lakewood, and local boy Marc Maingard.

http://www.hiscoxcases.com/guitar_hiscox.htm

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Parlor Picker

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:15:58 AM »

They enjoy a good reputation here in the UK for being tough and reliable, whilst not too heavy and not as expensive as a Calton, for instance. Their advertising shows a number of people standing on a case and (presumably and hopefully) not damaging the guitar inside.

Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele
RoundLakeDT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 02:52:02 PM »

I bought a Hiscox "lite-flight pro" case for my J-09; the one that fits Gibson J-200's was a perfect fit.  I flew with it to a workshop last summer and it had no problems

I would rate the Hiscox perhaps a notch below Calton cases (fiberglass flight cases costing USD $900!), but they are much sturdier than most plastic or plywood cases (such as Larrivee cases).  

The Hiscox case is THICK -- sitting on the floor it's about 2" deeper than my Larrivee case, and all of that extra is tough/solid padding.  The metal surround (where the latches attach to) is also a broad piece of metal that's sunk deep into the plastic shell, very tough.  No heavier than a Larrivee case though

The only real negatives I'd have on these is that the latches aren't as "positive" as the on Larrivee cases -- the bottom latch has a relatively narrow hook that fits into the top latch, with takes a moment to align (rather than "don't need to look" as on most latches).  Once set though, the latches seem very sturdy.  

The only other (slight) negative is the choice of interior velvet colors, either a garish red or green.  As my wife put it, these look like "bordello colors"

Here are a couple of pix.  
Dave

[attachment deleted by admin]

RoundLakeDT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 02:53:25 PM »

A follow-up pic.  I mentioned the thickness of the case, which makes it very sturdy:  Hiscox on the left, Larrivee case on the right

[attachment deleted by admin]

dmcginnis

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 04:40:53 PM »

I have one coming with my new/used McIlroy and did a bit of research on them...there is a good video on the Hiscox website that demonstrates the differences in their cases:

http://www.hiscoxcases.com/products_hiscox.htm

2001 McIlroy A30 #75, Spruce/Rosewood
Martin OM-15M, all mahogany
Paddy Burgin Bouzouki, Redwood over Claro Walnut
Keith Newell mandolin, Spruce over Claro Walnut
1916 Gibson A mandolin
1927 Langestyle tenor banjo
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 04:57:05 PM »

Thanks been looking for a sturdy flight case  I see  The Twelfth Fret in Toronto sell them for us Canadians anyone else know who supplies them here and ballpark cost?

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 05:15:59 PM »

http://axe-essories.com/ is a lower 48 supplier. I've been intrigued by them also and I haven't researched it enough but it seems like they run about 1/3 of what a Calton will set you back. I also think I've seen different price points based on sturdiness of the case (you know, like selling step-ladders).

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Jonesy76

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 08:12:21 PM »

Mt custom made Legra guitar came with a Hiscox case, and the damn thing is not only lightweight, but utterly indestructible.  Superb cases, that are very well constructed as well as doing exactly what they are supposed to do

Larrivee Custom LCJ-10-12E 'Baby Dragon' and vine-of-life inlay
Larrivee Custom C-10E 'Ddraig Bach' ('Baby Dragon')
Gibson Les Paul Historic '59
Legra custom-made Les Paul Doubleneck
1967 Shaftesbury LP Black Beauty copy now with Bareknuckle humbuckers and 1959 spec wiring loom.
RoundLakeDT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 09:14:33 PM »

There are a number of UK distributors, but only a few in the US/Canada.  I bought mine from a guy on the martin forum www.umgf.com whose forum name is "sixstringer" or something like that.  If you go to that forum and search the buy/sell for Hiscox that should pull him up.  He has a large stock of various sizes

Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 01:32:54 PM »

Looks nice indeed - thanx for the pix RoundLakeDT.  +1 It is notably higher than the Lav-hard shell case which has me exited. That means more cushioning inside...
I'm going to check out a Spruce/Blackwood Maton dread tomorrow that is up for sale here, and comes in a Hiscox.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
antaisce

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 05:00:10 PM »

Hiscox are great cases and very well usable, not too heavy. Just don't let the guitar sit too tight in it, then even a Hiscox won't save your treasuries ;)

Avalon L25
Guild M-20
Larrivee L09E
Larrivee L-03
Larrivee D-03RE
Martin D-18
Martin OOO-15
Martin D-15S
Yairi G1F
Epiphone 1964 Texan (Paul McCartney)
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 05:35:17 PM »

There are a number of UK distributors, but only a few in the US/Canada.  I bought mine from a guy on the martin forum www.umgf.com whose forum name is "sixstringer" or something like that.  If you go to that forum and search the buy/sell for Hiscox that should pull him up.  He has a large stock of various sizes

...and here he is: http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/94732

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 06:16:28 PM »

Thanks ffinke!!!!!!!!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: