New buttons for ping tuners

Started by The Hickman, January 11, 2010, 05:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: tadol on February 07, 2010, 08:58:59 PM
Daysailer - I am anxious to find out if you get some good buttons to fit the minis - I'd love to lose the metal buttons on my 12 string just to save a pound or so from the headstock. Tad

I havent forgotten that you asked about that earlier in this thread.
I am still waiting for the Grover Minis from FQMS.  When they arrrive, I will try them on my F-III, and let you know.
ds
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

so did we come to a conclusion on this?  i have an 04 om (pings, i guess, that i am otherwise fine with) that i thought i might get a little fancy with.  i would be ok with some ebony tuners but i was wondering what else was out there. 

-are those gotoh's drop in replacements?  do those taiwanese ebay buttons fit those but not pings? 
-would grover imperial style buttons fit?  one of those sites linked earlier (the dutch one) said yes, but i think it was a typo.
-what else might fit without altering anything or adding new holes (tuners or buttons?)

like i said, i'm fine with the pings; they're just a little plain, is all.  and since i ordered a new bone saddle it was going to the tech anyway...

thanks!

Quote from: eor on March 03, 2010, 01:26:46 AM
so did we come to a conclusion on this?  i have an 04 om (pings, i guess, that i am otherwise fine with) that i thought i might get a little fancy with.  i would be ok with some ebony tuners but i was wondering what else was out there. 

-are those gotoh's drop in replacements?  do those taiwanese ebay buttons fit those but not pings? 
-would grover imperial style buttons fit?  one of those sites linked earlier (the dutch one) said yes, but i think it was a typo.
-what else might fit without altering anything or adding new holes (tuners or buttons?)

like i said, i'm fine with the pings; they're just a little plain, is all.  and since i ordered a new bone saddle it was going to the tech anyway...

thanks!

If you want to do drop in tuner replacements just call or e-mail Scott, he is a direct importer for the GOTOH's

Domo International
Scott Ando
250 H St
Suite 633
Blaine, WA 98230
888-274-4286
email: domointl@gmail.com

You can also check the tech section of the forum for sizes etc, but just as easy to drop Scott a line, quick, easy, and as good a price as just about any. I've done business with him several times.  :thumb
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Grover Mini button from FQMS finally arrived........ :wacko:   stilll waitin' fer the full sized ones.

Mini's;
Real ebony.
Fit pretty snug,  cracked one forcing it on.  but will fit the mini and full sized pings (full sized may need different length screws)
Lightly micro filed the others and they fit fine.

The Ivoriod button that I ordered from the site 'The Hickman' originally posted were 'very' too tight. But with about 5 minutes per button, I was able to get a good fit with some jewelers files.

FQMS is kind of at the mercy of thier supply chain, but thier mini's do fit the ping tuner axle.  If too tight, do not force them, they will crack.
Jewelers files and about 1 minute per button will give you a good fit that wont cause a crack when the wood swells with a humidity increase.

As promised I will start another thread to post pics.

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person