PRS Acoustics "What's the verdict" ?

Started by L05HD28, January 07, 2010, 07:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've only seen pictures . They are very pricey. Are they worth it?  :?
Gibson J-45 TV
Martin D-18
Martin OM-21

If there anything like their high end electrics (one of my friends has one), the quality is exceptional.

Candidly, I would rather a nice Larrivee Parlor and 12 string and a Standard Martin (Oh wait, that's what I did) with the same money but that's just me.

Thought it strange to see Ricky Skaggs playing one with 2 other guys in the last AG mag, esp. when he has (or had) a Dana Bourgeois model. :? Does he still have that model with Dana B.? Must be nice guitars for a player such as him now endorsing them (PRS). Great player!
     Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

I have heard that PRS keeps sending acoustics to Martin Simpson for him to try out and comment on. Each time he recommends a few tweaks to improve it.
Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele

Quote from: BluesMan1 on January 08, 2010, 05:58:39 PM
Thought it strange to see Ricky Skaggs playing one with 2 other guys in the last AG mag, esp. when he has (or had) a Dana Bourgeois model. :? Does he still have that model with Dana B.? Must be nice guitars for a player such as him now endorsing them (PRS). Great player!
    Jeff

PRS acoustics are very highly rated and promoted - the other two players in the add are Tony McManus and Cody Kilby if I remember correctly. Cody is also a Bourgeois player.

Ironically Dana was involved in the previous (initial) design with PRS acoustics some 10 years ago. For some unknown reason they weren't produced then.

"Dana was then retained by Paul Reed Smith Guitars in 1990 to spearhead acoustic development for the PRS organization, and later by Gibson Guitars to assist in construction and setup of their new production facility in Montana." - source: http://www.pantheonguitars.com/
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I haven't played the new PRS models, so no comments on their playability, tone and value offered.

They are at a high enough price point that there is a lot of competition from very well established and highly regarded builders. It will be tough to break into the general market. Perhaps there are enough well heeled PRS electric players that would like to maintain "headstock symmetry" to keep them in production.

Dana Bourgeois did indeed work with PRS (as well as development work for Gibson, Washburn and Martin) on an acoustic prototype. PRS never went forward with the project and Dana took that work and further developed it into the JOM (Jumbo OM) model that he still sells today. The JOM, along with the Larrivee L body and the Martin 0000 (or M) are true desert island guitars.
Ron

Quote from: ronmac on January 12, 2010, 07:15:18 AM
...Dana took that work and further developed it into the JOM (Jumbo OM) model that he still sells today. The JOM, along with the Larrivee L body and the Martin 0000 (or M) are true desert island guitars.
I didn't know that, I believe the JOM is a killer in both Cedar and Spruce tops.  :donut :coffee
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: Zohn on January 12, 2010, 10:03:28 AM
I didn't know that, I believe the JOM is a killer in both Cedar and Spruce tops.  :donut :coffee

You'll get no argument from me. I have a '97 JOMC in Bearclaw Sitka and Curly Claro Walnut that covers all of the bases.

Here is what the PRS prototype looked like

Change the fretboard markers and the headstock shape and you have the JOMC!

QuoteDana Bourgeois built eleven Paul Reed Smith prototypes, an original design he called the Jumbo OM Cutaway.  When the PRS acoustic plan was canceled at the end of 1992, Bourgeois opened Dana Bourgeois Guitars in Lewiston, Maine, in 1993, with the JOMC as the centerpiece of his line.

I snipped this info from http://www.gansz.org/David/Guitars/Schoenberg/1990.htm , a site that speaks of the history of Schoenberg guitars and the luthiers associated with Eric.
Ron

:+1: Thanx Ron for the link - I enjoy reading these stories, and how builders often are traced to specific periods in the development of new designs and products.
I am a Dana Bourgeois fan. Many a successful boutique builder apprenticed at major builders like Martin, Gibson etc. Some of them excelled and deservedly so.

Earlier this month I stopped by a guitar shop that I knew carried Guilds hoping trying out an F512 (which is what my Takamine 12-string is based on). They didn't have one, but, lo and behold, they did have a PRS Acoustic! I can't remember the model name, but the price tag was over $5K. I took it down and, anticipating a wonderful sound to envelop me, gave it a strum. Hmmm... didn't quite sound like I expected. I strummed some more chords, and then did some fingerpicking. My opinion: it's nothing to write home about. In all fairness, maybe it just needs some time to open up. My own L-09MR sounded rather muffled when I first got it, but now it sounds fantastic! Of course, I'd be hesitant to pay that much money for a guitar that didn't sound great from the get go.
2007 L-09 MR 12th Fret 30th Anniversary Ltd Ed
2006 Huss & Dalton TDMA
1977 Takamine F395s (Guild 12-string copy)

Haven't seen one in person yet.  Would like to.  Especially as they seem to be marketing them to the bluegrass crowd (with Skaggs and Kilby).

Find it funny that builders like Collings and Taylor are producing electric guitars.  And now comes PRS with an acoustic.  Maybe a bit of turn about?  (Not including Larrivee since they have  a history of electrics.)

The price is high.  But consider what Collings charges for their electric guitars.  Taylor's Kurt L. mentioned in the latest Wood & Steel that the upper tier guitars were good sellers for them. 

Still, there are a lot of good choices out there in that price range.
Eric P.
------------------------
Larrivee L-01
Lind 00-21S
'30s Biltmore
a few others

Played one a few months back.  It was certainly comparable to anything else in the store, which included H&D and McPherson.
OM-05, L-03WL, 000-40R