Bone Vs. Tusq Vs. Micarta : The three way saddle battle!

Started by The Hickman, December 30, 2009, 04:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: 247hoopsfan on January 23, 2010, 12:53:47 PM
I really wonder if you did a blind fold test if anybody could really tell the difference. 

Yes, I could.

Quote from: 247hoopsfan on January 23, 2010, 12:53:47 PM
Both my Larrivees have bone, and my Yamaha LL500 has Corian, according to the factory.  I believe Corian is similar to Tusq.  All 3 guitars sound great, and I don't plan on experimenting.  I really wonder if you did a blind fold test if anybody could really tell the difference. 

Even if I can generally tell the difference, I'm just not entirely convinced one is that much "better" than the other, every single time on every single guitar.

I've gone back and forth on a couple of guitars and found the difference pretty clear myself. The sound shrank back when I put the tusq back in. As has been mentioned some guitars might like the tusq better.

I'd like to try fossilized walrus at some point. The way it has been described I think it might suit my silver oak.
L-03 Italian Spruce

You might like the fossil ivory.  Haven't seen or heard a silver oak, so can't make any comments on sound.  Have two sets of FWI bridge pins and don't like them on any of my guitars.  But that's my preference.

Did end up getting the bone saddle on my L-01.  Do feel it improved the tone.  But also put on new strings and tightened the tuners.  So it wasn't a change of only one item. 

Still, the guitar cut through the jam on Saturday quite well.  The fiddlers could hear it without much touble.
Eric P.
------------------------
Larrivee L-01
Lind 00-21S
'30s Biltmore
a few others

Go figure - after posting about none of my guitars liking the FWI pins decided to try a set in the L-01.  Hadn't done that yet.

On that guitar, as of last night, I heard and felt a difference.  Usually it makes my mahogany guitars sound "thin".  On the Larrivee it sounded more open.  Definitely resonated on my belly more.

So either the pins made a positive difference or they just fit the pin hole taper better.  But for now, they are staying.

(Sorry, that's more than sorta off topic about saddles.)
Eric P.
------------------------
Larrivee L-01
Lind 00-21S
'30s Biltmore
a few others

Although I prefer using bone and genuine ivory, I think the MOST important aspect is that the saddle fits properly down the sides of the slot (tight enough not to fall out without strings, but loose enough to be taken out with ones finger tips), as well as square and flush with the root of the channel.
Some pros even go as far as measure the deflection of the top at the bridge under string pressure, and then jack the top up from inside the body (with strings off) to the same amount of deflection. The channel root is then milled just enough to ensure it is flat in that tensioned position.  This technique is sometimes used as the ultimate solution to ensure even saddle pressure when using UST pickups.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

I replaced my OM-2's TUSQ saddle with a Colosi's bone one. I have to confess I cannot hear any difference, but that could be ascribed to my poor hearing  :blush:
Anyway I'm happy with the look of the new saddle and I think modifying my guitar with my hand, with a piece I sanded till it reached the right height, was a sort of bonding moment  :cheers

Larrivée OOO40-MT (2018)
Gibson Advanced Jumbo (1997)
Taylor AD17E Blacktop

I love the smell of Spruce in the morning

The end result is really all I was interested in while selecting the saddle/nut materials for my individual guitars. With my DV09 I was fortunate to have a tech who had a bone, FWI, & woolly mammoth precut he slipped on unattached for the nut selections and I could hear a difference and chose the mammoth nut. Same with the saddles, uncompensated blanks but again I could hear a difference and chose the FWI for the saddle for the rosewood dread for maximizing glassy overtones and sustain in combination with the mammoth nut.

On the 12 string I took the advice for the mahogany that Mr. Holler (after all the guy builds classical guitars, he would know), suggested and went with bone nut and saddle, he then compensated both uniquely for my set up. It is very clean and warm, not too jangly, just what I was looking for.

I had tusq in a Taylor that I changed out just the saddle to bone and never looked back, I find I can tell the difference in saddle materials especially when I can A/B them. I also respect the opinion of those much more experienced than I to help guide me in deciding such things. As for nuts, not so much, but I could hear the difference. Pins I can't tell any difference other than brass, and those I don't like, I buy them for the looks :) YMMV
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

... and the winner is.....  wait for it..... bone!
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte