Newbie question on strings for a DV-10E

Started by Kristos, January 27, 2010, 09:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi Everyone,

Another newbie here and my first post. 

I've been playing for years but my playing never really took off. Now I can find the time for some serious practice and I'm seeing improvements most days but still got a long way to go. I've left my Strat on the stand and I'm now spending most of my time on my DV-10E and I've realised that my hands aren't as strong as I thought so I'm looking at the action. The nut is OK and with the neck set properly the action is too high at the twelvth fret. Before I start shaving the saddle down can anyone tell me what strings would have been fitted from the factory and what material is the saddle made of ? It was made in 2001 and has the presentation inlay. I've got Light D'Addario EXP16's fitted and they sound good but a bit bright.
What strings suit the Larry's best.

Chris     :wave  :donut  :donut  :donut  :donut  :donut  :donut   
Playing guitar is just a bunch of tricks

DV-10E (2001 presentation inlay)
Martin 000-16SRGT
1998 Fender US Strat
Vintage V100 LP copy (Peter Green Lemon Drop)
Gibson ES-339
Gibson SG Bass

:welcome:         :nice guitar:     
Thank-you for the donuts. 

You will find many here who are long ago players finding more time for making music.

String preferences are very much different for each guitar and player.  No one string brand
or type is best.  It will be what you and your guitar like.  Try many different kinds as you
change strings.

For guitar adjustments and set up, here are some links that can help:

http://www.guitarrepairshop.com/indexmastersetup.html

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html     scroll down lots of informantion even at the bottom of the index.

http://www.bryankimsey.com/music/lutherie.htm

Have fun playing and use the Search function to find many many threads about string and such.

:wave        ds     :beer
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

One thing you might  want to do is have the guitar setup for you.Really pay attention to what you like and don't like about the guitar,action,neck relief,guage of strings and what you want it be be.Then find a tech who can help you get what you want from the guitar.Play for him so he can read your technic,talk to him.Also make sure he's the right tech for you.Check around for anyother tech's and do the samething.If I can be of service feel free to call.Number is on my website.

Disclaimer:I'm not trying to get you as a client but I do want you to find the best tech for you.If your going to try it yourself I may be able to talk you thru any problems.

Thanks for the donuts. :wave
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

On set-up: listen to what Unclrob says. He knows his stuff as do a few others that frequent this forum.

As far as string make goes... have fun finding what works for you. You'll develop a strong liking to one particular brand and type (I have my favorite that I discovered from reading a forum) but keep an open mind when others 'find' the perfect string.

Welcome to the forum, thanks for the donuts and when you have 21 posts you can: :cheers

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

:welcome:

Concerning strings, opinions are all over the map, except most of us do not like Cleartones.
Larrivee is now shipping just about everything with D'Addario EXP med (PB, if I am not mistaken.)

I only play mediums, PB, 80/20, or Reds. (D'Addario, Martin, GHS, all good) Larrivee's are strongly built, which is a good thing. They all seem to liven up and get richer with mediums.  My Larri is my first steel string git in 40 years, and it's got me playing and learning 2 hours a day!
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Thanks everyone for a nice welcome and offers of help. I've sent for some medium strings, Martin and Rotosound. Rotosound are a British company and their strings for electrics are good so I'll compare their acoustics with the Martins. I'll work on the saddle myself to get the action down when I have the strings. Thanks for the offers of help. If I get stuck I'll be back.  :thumbsup

Chris
Playing guitar is just a bunch of tricks

DV-10E (2001 presentation inlay)
Martin 000-16SRGT
1998 Fender US Strat
Vintage V100 LP copy (Peter Green Lemon Drop)
Gibson ES-339
Gibson SG Bass

Chris, 
Good Luck with your search for strings.
If you are ordering from England,  Try the Newtone MasterClass custom lights.
Round core, hand wound strings, that my Larrrivees really like.

If you have set up questions, 'unclrob' is very good at helping over the phone.
Just adjust your time to calll to match Greece with Florida USA.   He likes his sleep I'm told. (or was it, he likes his whiskey ??)
(oh, and if he suggests using belt sander, ....  :laughin: )

May the music you make with that new LarrivĂ©e, touch your soul      ds   :beer   
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person