Cheapy! Cort L450C all Hog 000. PICS ADDED !

Started by obe-wan, December 29, 2009, 11:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: bluesman67 on February 27, 2010, 03:37:21 PM
Congrats Scott, that's a fine lookin' hogtop, what a bonus, scalloped bracing...nice!  I'll bet that gives it a nice low-end boost.  Welcome to the hogtop owner's club!
:cheers

Cheers Bluesman!  :cheers
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.

looks like I can get it from my local small town store for under $300.   I have seen a comparison video with an 00-15 and the Martin has more tone, but it also costs considerably more and I can't afford that, especially since I don't see this as my primary guitar.  I really want a hot top though!    Might finally be my chance to get a guitar from the local guy...he ONLY sells Cort's and always charges msrp/retail.   My contribution to the local economy?   

My main problem is the size.   I'm a big guy...6-4/290 and when I looked in a mirror in the stor it looke like I was playing a UKE!   That really bothered me.   I'm come from a smaller town than this one...and all I ever knew was "FLAT TOPS" (just plain ol' dreads...that was the only acoustic guitar I ever saw or played).  and the OM is quite an adjustment.  The specs and all have it as a standard guitar, just OM body size.   

Anything I should know about an OM?  I'm not a fingerstyle player, just pick strum and sort of finger strum-pick.   Still, I love the mahogany sound...

Quote from: BJofIndiana on March 03, 2010, 02:03:34 PM
Anything I should know about an OM?  I'm not a fingerstyle player, just pick strum and sort of finger strum-pick.   Still, I love the mahogany sound...

Hey BJ, just be aware that its not reall an OM, its 1-11/16" wide at the nut, which if youve already played the guitar Im sure you've noticed. What do you need to know about an OM (000)? Comfortable to play, less bass than a Dread, (so it wont do Bluegrass like a Dread) More balanced sound,  they do lend themselves to more Fingerstyle/Folk/Blues playing, but once you get to know it you can get most things out of it. Oh, and the look great! Narrow waisted and curvy, as opposed to the squareness of of a Dread.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

more than likely just psychological...seeing myself in the mirror...with me being large and the guitar looking like a UKE (compared to me).

I have several dreads I love for bluegrass, etc.   A couple have the 1 3/4 nut...that  has spoiled me!  However, the one on the Cort feels pretty good. 

yep, it's probably just the look compared to the dreads and my big self...ha!   (the guitar isn't big enough to hide my midsection lol)

Thanks for the input.    I'm going back for another play in the morning.   Might actually buy it Saturday (3/6) as my birthday is this weekend...my present to me...ha!

Another thing...the truss rod looks a bit up inside the neck.  Does it require a special tool and is it included with the guitar?

Thanks again!
bj

The Cort 1 11/16 neck feels a lot like the Larri 1 11/16 - and that's agood comfortable feel.

Quote from: BJofIndiana on March 03, 2010, 05:44:39 PM
more than likely just psychological...seeing myself in the mirror...with me being large and the guitar looking like a UKE (compared to me).

Hey BJ, Im a pretty big guy too, it never really bothers me that its a small guitar. It covers more of my gut than my Strat!
It will come with a std allen key, which you need to use long ways to reach the truss rod head. Mine adjusted reasonable easy, or you might want to slide a small metal tube of some sort over the allen key to get a little more leverage. Its not that difficult though....

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Update:

The guy I gig with occasionally bought his acoustic guitar (SX) over a couple of days ago and asked me if I could get it to play a bit better. I immediately noticed the extreme tilt on the bridge and the roller coaster shaped bulge in the top. Not good! I said I'd lend him the Cort until he found himself a new guitar.

A couple of days later he phoned me up and said "I love this thing! How much do you want for it?"

He now owns it and Im out hunting for a Peavey Classic 30!

Hahaha! The revolving door that is my gear collection.  :roll
The Martins going nowhere though... :bowdown:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Well, I just got a Cort L450c NS.  I am quite pleased so far.  The setup was quite good and for under three hundred..hey...pretty nifty.  Intonation was good and the balance was good with enough base.  Lower bout if 14.5" wide and upper bout 11" with waist 9.5".  THere is a nice little growl on the base which comes with hog guitars.  It is a tiny bit bright, but I have not changed strings yet, and they came with D'addario extended play, but they sent me an extra pack of Silk and Steel, and I really think those would be super on here.  Being a fingerpicker, I wish the nut width was 1-3/4" but I did put on a capo and separate the strings a bit, and there should be no problem putting a 1-3/4" nut on the guitar, as it looks like there is ample room before you would have fall off from the fret ends.  I am a bit surprised they don't offer it in both nutwidths as I don't think they would have to change the neck at all.  It definitely sounds like a mahogany guitar and the fit and finish were nice.  I don't know how it would compare side by side to a Martin 00-15, but there would be no comparison in the price tags.  I would recommend anyone interested to try one out.  Get back to me on what you think on changing nut width.  GLTA

That Cort did not last long Obe.The Larrivees are calling your name.
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: carruth on April 22, 2010, 06:13:58 PM
Yes, I think so  :whistling: by the way, Peaveys are pretty good if they make em like their amps.
I'm glad your hangin on to your Martin and OM
cheers
fongie

I just replaced the strings that came on my Cort L450c NS with Martin Silk and Steels and the difference is unbelievable.  It really sounds like a great little instrument now.  Anyone getting this little axe, I would recommend immediately changing strings, but at least listen to it with the strings that came with it, and then go enjoy this little hog.  I am very impressed with its sound and price entry.

Quote from: fongie on April 22, 2010, 06:51:55 PM
Yes, I think so  :whistling: by the way, Peaveys are pretty good if they make em like their amps.

The Peavey he's talking about IS an amp - the Classic 30 is a 30 watt 1x12 tube amp; 3 x 12AX7 and 4 X EL84 in the power section...a great amp for the money; although my personal preference is the Delta Blues 210 (also 30 watts, with a tremolo added) - with the speakers replaced with a good aftermarket option (or even some Jensen ceramic 10's) it's a great sounding amp - not as boxy sounding as the Classic 30 (to my ears, YMMV) after the speaker change. 
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 01, 2010, 07:43:21 PM
The Peavey he's talking about IS an amp - the Classic 30 is a 30 watt 1x12 tube amp; 3 x 12AX7 and 4 X EL84 in the power section...a great amp for the money; although my personal preference is the Delta Blues 210 (also 30 watts, with a tremolo added) - with the speakers replaced with a good aftermarket option (or even some Jensen ceramic 10's) it's a great sounding amp - not as boxy sounding as the Classic 30 (to my ears, YMMV) after the speaker change. 

Hey Mikeymac,

I had a run through a Delta Blues 1x15" the other day. Really nice. I know what you mean by boxyness, although I do have a Celestion Vintage 30 sitting here that Im hoping, (along with a tube upgrade) will rid the Classic 30 of that.  :wink:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: carruth on April 22, 2010, 06:13:58 PM

Well...... Its back! The guy who was "Buying" it from me hasnt been able to rustle up the money so I took it back last night... (bloody musos! Never got any money!)

Its now got 13s on it and is tuned to open G. Once I hunt down a Fishman rare Earth for it it'll be my slider!  :nanadance

Now, about that Larrivee calling my name? I played a P-03 the other day...... Its calling real loud!

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Update:

I was playing it last night and decided its going again! I stuck it on eBay this morning and its already got a bid on it, so its definitely going. The funds will be a deposit on that P-03 thats been haunting me!  :nana_guitar

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

So Obe, you are getting the baby in the Larry family. Soon it will be an all hog OM to keep it company,followed by.............. :cop:
Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K

Quote from: carruth on June 23, 2010, 08:16:22 PM
So Obe, you are getting the baby in the Larry family. Soon it will be an all hog OM to keep it company,followed by.............. :cop:

Yeah, thats the way it usually goes isnt it. It wont be an OM though, Ive already got a real nice OM. 12 string maybe? Who knows....... I wish Larrivee made Weissenborns.  :drool:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Here is a great little comparison of the Cort L450 and the Martin 000-15.  The 000-15 is slightly larger, but what I did was listen to both of them, and then go back and forth between the same parts of the song on each guitar.  The Cort held its own and is way way way less money, as you can get one new for under $300.  I am very pleased with mine, but I must admit, it sounds way way better using Martin Silk and Steel strings than with the strings that came with it.  Here is comparison on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF6oY0lkGQ0

Enjoy.  If you want a fun little bluesy hog small guitar, it isn't a big outlay.

Quote from: keembo on July 10, 2010, 09:59:28 PM
Here is a great little comparison of the Cort L450 and the Martin 000-15. 

Thanks for that - but I think you could play an all plastic guitar andit will still sound good. Great playing!

Quote from: keembo on July 10, 2010, 09:59:28 PM
Here is a great little comparison of the Cort L450 and the Martin 000-15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF6oY0lkGQ0

Enjoy.  If you want a fun little bluesy hog small guitar, it isn't a big outlay.

Hey Keembo, great little comparison clip there. One thing, the clip states that the Martin is a 00, not a 000? Which one is it?

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.