Cheapy! Cort L450C all Hog 000. PICS ADDED !

Started by obe-wan, December 29, 2009, 11:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Michael T on February 17, 2010, 06:34:03 AM
Congrats on your new acquisition I hope it gives you many years of smiles and inspiration.  :nice guitar:

Hey Michael,

I hate to admit it, but this guitar will probably get more playing time than my Martin. As Ive mentioned, its going to live in my locker at work for those lonely night shifts when I have time to kill. Im getting a Zoom H2 soon, that'll end up in my locker too. A studio away from home.
I get more "downtime" at work than at home... seems by boss is less demanding than my wife and kids!  :?

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Rock on Scott!  Good for you.  I've never played a Cort, but I have to admit that this thread is making me want to...
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Hey Guys...

Took the Cort into work tonight, had a bit of a play then decided to lower the action and tweak the truss rod a bit. While I was filing down the saddle (yeah,it was a bit high) I swear I could smell Auto body filler! I dont know what the saddle is made of, but it sure smelled bad when I went at it with a file! The saddle is a sloppy fit in the saddle slot, so Im ordering in a few more bone saddle blanks next week (here we go again). The open back tuners are grovers, I dont know if there high or low end tuners, but they're smooth and progressive, Im pretty impressed. The locker room at work is pretty much half tiled, half plaster board so I had full hall reverb going on !

As for Chinese made guitars, the workmanship is very good / excellent, the only real issue I can see is that they went a little heavy with the glue on one or two of the braces. (Scalloped Bracing!) No biggy.

Nice woody, snappy tones to be had, it'll be interesting to see what the bone saddle does for it. Stay tuned.....

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Bone smells bad when you file aggressively - like burnt hair.

Quote from: cc407 on February 18, 2010, 07:12:18 AM

It aint bone. It had moulding seam marks and machine made dimples in it.

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: cc407 on February 18, 2010, 07:12:18 AM
Or just like when you are in the Dentist chair and he is drilling on your teeth.

Quote from: dependan on February 18, 2010, 07:50:42 AM
 Or just like when you are in the Dentist chair and he is drilling on your teeth.

AUUUUUUUGHHHHHH!!!!!

Childhood memories of no novocaine!!!  Make it stop....
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

Quote from: obe-wan on February 18, 2010, 07:47:01 AM
It aint bone. It had moulding seam marks and machine made dimples in it.

Cheers, Scott.

OK. I thought it might be since they do bone some of their guitars.

Quote from: cc407 on February 19, 2010, 07:22:53 AM
OK. I thought it might be since they do bone some of their guitars.

Gday CC,

It'd be nice if they had of. Its supposedly styled on "guitars of yester-year" with the all hog and scalloped bracing, open back tuners etc... Ive got a Bone saddle coming though.  :wink:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Scott, I still don't have the bone saddle sounding as good as the Martin original in my OM-21. I think I just need to adjust the intonation a bit. But I have thought of just putting back the original. Whatever they used in 1993 is still in good shape. Some amazingly hard plastic.

Based on this thread, I was able to find one locally to try out. I actually don't think the wood's as good looking as hog or sapele; looks a little coarse, somehow. But it was a fine little guitar for $275. Nicely woody and dry sounding, well put together, perfect little git for old time or blues tunes. If I weren't saving my $ for a new electric, I might have been tempted.
Larrivée OM-01
Avalon A201
Silver Creek T-160
LAG T66D
Douglas WF165

I'm thinking seriously about buying one of these.  The local mom and pop store sells ONLY Cort's.  I had to talk him into getting close to the online price, but I think he has.   I found online that the NUT is bone.  No info on the saddle material.  

Actually, an online dealer answered my email question and said the saddle and nut are made of PPS (polyphenylene sulfide).  A plastic material.  

Also, I did some searches on Khaya and most of them said it was better (in most ways)than Sapele.  More often it just goes under "African Mahogany".  

Guitar sounds and plays very well.    Would appreciate any more comments.  Thanks.

BJ/Indiana

Quote from: BJofIndiana on February 23, 2010, 02:33:42 PM
I'm thinking seriously about buying one of these.
Guitar sounds and plays very well.    Would appreciate any more comments.  Thanks.

BJ/Indiana

BJ, if you like the idea of having a Mahogany 000 that doesnt cost the earth, and is really pretty decent sounding for a cheapy, I really think you cant go wrong.  Expect to have to do a little saddle work on it, and you'll not be disappointed. The only real issue I have with it is Im having a bit of trouble adjusting to the 1-11/16 nut. No fault of the guitar. Comes equiped with D'addario EXPs, which I immediately swapped for EJ-16s, just a personal preference.
As Drmar mentioned, "Old time and Blues". Spot on.  :wink:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: dependan on February 20, 2010, 07:38:14 AM
Scott, I still don't have the bone saddle sounding as good as the Martin original in my OM-21. I think I just need to adjust the intonation a bit. But I have thought of just putting back the original. Whatever they used in 1993 is still in good shape. Some amazingly hard plastic.

Danny, Im still tempted to try a TUSQ saddle in mine. My Larrivee OM-03R sounded better with a TUSQ. Curiosity eh?....
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Hey, nice one Scott!
Looks very nice indeed, complete with my favourite Grover Sta-tites!!  :+1:
Congrats.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

A nice and subtle thing happened with my Cort guitars -
playing them, I got a great appreciation for how smoothly and precisely they were built.
My impression is that there was great care and pride taken in making them -
is that possible in a factory? I think so.

Quote from: cc407 on February 24, 2010, 06:01:01 AM
A nice and subtle thing happened with my Cort guitars -
playing them, I got a great appreciation for how smoothly and precisely they were built.
My impression is that there was great care and pride taken in making them -
is that possible in a factory? I think so.

:+1: I love their Earth 900 parlor - it is a fancier version of the TW-173 which they apparently build for Tanglewood.
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

The Cort Custom shop models are stunning too - I have played and loved the NTL Custom...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Well, speaking of Cort, I just brought home this AC15 classical yesterday!
Solid cedar top, lam rosewood b/s
(to replace two upper shelf classicals I sold to benefit a charity)
EXCELLENT neck, sounds very good, but with a little "brand new" in the sound.

Congrats Scott, that's a fine lookin' hogtop, what a bonus, scalloped bracing...nice!  I'll bet that gives it a nice low-end boost.  Welcome to the hogtop owner's club!
:cheers
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte