Cheapy! Cort L450C all Hog 000. PICS ADDED !

Started by obe-wan, December 29, 2009, 11:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was cruising around today enjoying the non congested roads due to the christmas break, calling into my local guitar shops to check out this and that, when a nice little all hog 000 caught my eye.
It was a Cort ! Its listed as mahogany top back and sides (might be sapele) , all SOLID woods, dovetail neck joint, bargain price! A really nice tone, and a great feeling neck, although it is a 1-11/16 nut. A poor mans Martin 000-15? I think the little Cort may actually give a few -15 series Martin owners a scare! And a lot cheaper than a GAD series Guild.

http://www.turramusic.com.au/Pages/CatalogueItem.aspx?CIID=2903

the one I played was sans pick gaurd. Looked heaps better than the one in the catalogue.

As soon as the christmas breaks over Im gettin one.  :nana_guitar

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.
Achillies 5F2A Princeton.

Victoria, Australia.

Well guys, I went in and played it again today, it impressed me again so I dropped a C note on it and will be picking it up in about a month.   :guitar

Im getting one of those canvas gig bags with the backpack style shoulder straps too, its going to work, on the train, camping, to the beach etc....its going to be my beater, but its a pretty cool sounding beater! Pics soon.

Cheers, Scott.

P.S. checking the specs on the net it states that it has a solid top and back, but doesnt mention the sides, so maybe laminated sides? I dont care, its sounds cool anyway!
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

It looks like a nice one Scott.  The Mahogany (Khaya ivorensis) used on it is from West Africa. It is not sapele but neither is it true mahogany. But Khaya is a good substitute.

Quote from: obe-wan on December 29, 2009, 11:25:17 PM
I was cruising around today enjoying the non congested roads due to the christmas break, calling into my local guitar shops to check out this and that, when a nice little all hog 000 caught my eye.
It was a Cort ! Its listed as mahogany top back and sides (might be sapele) , all SOLID woods, dovetail neck joint, bargain price! A really nice tone, and a great feeling neck, although it is a 1-11/16 nut. A poor mans Martin 000-15? I think the little Cort may actually give a few -15 series Martin owners a scare! And a lot cheaper than a GAD series Guild.

http://www.turramusic.com.au/Pages/CatalogueItem.aspx?CIID=2903

the one I played was sans pick gaurd. Looked heaps better than the one in the catalogue.

As soon as the christmas breaks over Im gettin one.  :nana_guitar

Cheers, Scott.

And unlike the GAD guitars, it is made in Korea, not China.  Big plus to me.

Quote from: dependan on January 05, 2010, 09:30:49 PM
   It looks like a nice one Scott.  The Mahogany (Khaya ivorensis) used on it is from West Africa. It is not sapele but neither is it true mahogany. But Khaya is a good substitute.

Thanks Danny, hey where did you get the info on the wood species?

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on January 05, 2010, 09:53:10 PM
And unlike the GAD guitars, it is made in Korea, not China.  Big plus to me.

More info I wasnt aware of. Thanks Lawdog, Im liking this guitar even more now!  :thumbsup

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

It gave the species on another site and I looked up the species to see what it actually was and where it came from in one of my books on woodworking.

Cool! Thanks Danny. Its a great forum we've got here.  :wink:

I was thinkin when I was putting the deposit down on it, "I better buy another Larrivee soon..."  :whistling:

:cheers

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Corts are really nice guitars.I owned a headless bass from them once,wish I keeped it.when I worked in a retail guitar store we carried them.Enjoy it Scott but I bet it doesn't stay a beater.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I don't have that model, but I do have an all solid woods flamed maple/spruce jumbo made by Cort under the Parkwood label, and it is a nice guitar.  They do a good job with building.  Mine is one made in Korea. 

Another Cort fan here. I think the laminated sides are a good thing - gives a lot of strength while (probably) baely making a difference in sound.
My Cort Earth 200 (Solid spruce top, solid mahog back - though I think it's sapele) is one that I picked up when looking for a beater. It's just too nice for that. Really, it could be a "one and only" guitar - it's that good.
Also had an Earth 900 cedar topped parlor - excellent in all respects.
Thing I like about Cort - it's their own brand and they seem to build with pride. Parkwood is also their own label.
Enjoy that dark beauty!

I have a Cort electric semi-hollow designed by Jim Triggs. Excellent tone and workmanship. Love it.
If it sounds good, it is good.

One of the reasons why this one is so inexpensive is the Khaya.  Khaya has many of mahogany's characteristics, and is closer in appearance to mahogany than is Sapele, but the quality of khaya is much less consistent than is Sapele.  This is why makers like Martin, Taylor, and Larrivee have elected for Sapele as a preferable mahogany replacement wood.  It's relatively difficult to find high-quality Khaya, and lower quality wood is inexpensive to acquire.   
Larrivee L-03R TF
Martin 00-15
Alhambra 7fc
Am. Stand. Telecaster

Don't know how true it is, but I once heard that Corts come out of the same factory in Korea as Tanglewoods.
Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele

Quote from: Parlor Picker on January 11, 2010, 03:30:00 AM
Don't know how true it is, but I once heard that Corts come out of the same factory in Korea as Tanglewoods.

Cort is the parent company. Tanglewood and Parkwood are some of their brands. They also make guitars for a lot of other "names".

Quote from: cc407 on January 11, 2010, 05:47:44 AM
Cort ... also make guitars for a lot of other "names".

Indeed.  They're one of the largest guitar manufacturers in the world. 
Larrivee L-03R TF
Martin 00-15
Alhambra 7fc
Am. Stand. Telecaster

Its here ! heres some hasty pics....

Its a lively little guitar, nice ring on, (which is strange for a 'hog) and a woody bluesy tone. Playing alongside the Martin OM-21, well the OM sounds like a grand piano in comparison, but the Cort has got a cool "low-fi" vibe to it. Nice slick 1-11/16 neck too. Nice addition to my locker at work, I think... :wink:

P.S. For those who where under the impression Cort is still made in Korea....sorry. Made in China. Oh well !

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

It looks fine Scott. I'm glad you are liking it. It sounds like a good companion to the Martin.
Maybe a pic or two on a sunny day would be nice. I'd like to see the finish and wood grain a little better.
  I'm hoping to have my custom re-finishing job done soon. Or at least to a playable stage. This is the maple body with a Koa top. I thought it was hog, but it is clearly not and after seeing some other Koa very close to it I am pretty sure that's what it is. Anyway I'll have some pics of it in a week or two as well. This one is the body size of a deep Nick Lucas. In fact I'm putting a Gibson style "belly in" bridge on it.

Quote from: dependan on February 16, 2010, 10:03:01 PM
Maybe a pic or two on a sunny day would be nice. I'd like to see the finish and wood grain a little better.

Hey Danny, I actually had a sunny day today but it was too bright and I didnt have time to find the right spot lighting wise to take decent pics. I get some more up on the weekend. This little hog top has got me thinking about maybe buying a higher class hog top instrument down the track a bit. (F-IV???)  :whistling:  :roll

Might be about time for another Larrivee....

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Gibson SG Special.
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

I hope you'll find, as I did, that one of the great things about Cort is how well put - together their guitars are.
They feel good, and that can keep you coming back.
Their 1 11/16 neck feels like the Larri 1 11/16 neck to me - and it's a generous profile.
It may take a while, but that guitar should open up in sound. It looks really cool.

Great looking guitar! Solid top & back are all a person really needs to vibrate, some very high end builders have laminate sides for the added strength. The bargin price doesn't take away from a great sounding guitar, if it feels good, sounds good it is good. Congrats on your new acquisition I hope it gives you many years of smiles and inspiration.  :nice guitar:
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065