Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Triggered Harmonics question  (Read 807 times)
geppert

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2009, 06:56:51 PM »

I have this condition that I am wondering if any others can duplicate?? With all strings unmuted, if I play an E on the open 1st string then finger mute the first string only, it triggers an E harmonic off the open 5th string. The same thing happens if I play a B off the open 2nd string then mute it, a triggered B harmonic off the 6th string will sound. These harmonics off the 5/6 strings ring quite loud. Is this a normal condition for these guitars? Is there something that can be done to dampen these triggered harmonics? Would any of you be able to confirm that this happens on your guitars?? Mine is an OM-O5 btw.
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 07:49:26 PM »

Hi

If I am understanding you correctly I can replicate these results with my LS 05.

It is not very loud, though.

I don't find this troublesome. It is to me, quite lovely.

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »

How?

I've been trying to recreate this since Don emailed me.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 08:09:37 PM »

The acoustic steel string guitar is capable of all sorts of sounds.  What you've described is normal, although I for one don't know why it happens.  Try strumming once all the strings then immediately barre all strings just below the nut with a quick, gentle touch, and release abruptly.  Listen to the unique harmonic muted sound wave you get.  It has a slightly different effect in different tunings; you can alter the effect by only barring some of the strings yet hitting all of them.  Practice with the timing of the two motions and the amount of pressure you apply to get consistent results.

Michael Hedges made a career out of playing an acoustic guitar without allowing preconceived notions of its limitations hinder the diversity of sound that would come out of that hole in the top.  I am by no means a Hedges caliper player, but I do enjoy experimenting with ways to get new sounds, and combining these sounds in such a way that in my mind (and hopefully other listeners minds) makes some kind of musical logic.  

This discovery of yours is not an inherent flaw of the instrument, but an opportunity to exploit, at will, during the opportune moment, that new harmonic trick you've stumbled upon.

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 08:26:34 PM »

My RS-4 has harmonics in places, I've never had harmonics on a guitar before. Yowsers!  It's tempting to abuse the effect.
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 05:56:29 PM »

The harmonics are probably sympathetic vibrations from exciting the overtones of other strings (which have that frequency in their overtone group: octaves, fifths etc.). They are reinforced so are louder than usual,  consequently you hear them more distinctly after you  damp the string. I am sure it takes high quality construction to allow this phenomenon ...

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 06:05:41 PM »

I'm guessing sympathetic harmonics also. One thing I've noticed is that the 4th and 9th fret harmonic is almost as good as the 5th and 7th. I knew there was one there but most guitars only exhibit a very week one on the 4th fret.

If it gets to you try the string muting technique all classical players use. If not... enjoy the heck out of it!

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 06:39:07 PM »

I'm guessing sympathetic harmonics also. One thing I've noticed is that the 4th and 9th fret harmonic is almost as good as the 5th and 7th. I knew there was one there but most guitars only exhibit a very week one on the 4th fret.

If it gets to you try the string muting technique all classical players use. If not... enjoy the heck out of it!

f

Yes this is true. The relative strength of the various overtones (and sometimes undertones) along with the sustain qualities of each  is what makes the tone a given instrument.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
geppert

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 08:42:52 PM »

My 4th/9th harmonics are very strong as well. I can also get some weak harmonics at the 3rd fret on stgs 5-6-7
geppert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 09:48:07 PM »

Oops .. did I say Strings 5-6-7 in my previous post? ... hic ... I meant .... you now what I meant!
frankhond

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 09:00:42 PM »

This is sympathetic vibrations from the other strings and very normal. For an example how this can be used in musical context, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YaX_gwSZss . Or any Ravi Shankar song.
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 10:26:50 PM »

My 4th/9th harmonics are very strong as well. I can also get some weak harmonics at the 3rd fret on stgs 5-6-7

I'm starting to believe the 4th/9th strong harmonic is a Larrivee trait. My "off brands" don't quite exhibit this attribute which I find very pleasing.

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: