Luthier Question

Started by freestate101, December 28, 2009, 06:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it possible to create a standard fret board into a "0 Fret" board, and if so, what are the difficulties?

Thanks,
Jim

The larger question is why?

If a guitar is manufactured with a 'standard' nut configuration it can be assumed that that was how the designer intended the nut to be. If you were to insert a '0' fret there would be no way to establish string spacing, the entire fretboard would probably need to be replaced because there wouldn't be any wood to hold the '0' fret in position (expensive) and, most likely a myriad of other problems that only qualified luthiers (unclrob, Jim Holler and some others on this forum) can answer.

If you think a '0' fret is easier to play my guess is the guitar has not been set up properly. Go to a trusted luthier or tech in your area and ask for a set up. This is money well spent. If you want a '0' fret guitar, buy it. Guitars with nuts are designed that way so don't touch 'em.

f
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

OK get the fire's started,soak the rags in oil and tie them to the arrow's!!!!!!

Yes you can add a zero fret with out cutting into the fingerboard.You will need to mix a small amount of epoxy,have a slightly taller fret then what is in the guitar and you will need to make a new nut.Steps as follow's:
1; pop the nut out.
2;Mix epoxy.
3;put epoxy at the end of the fingerboard.
4;Place fret into the epoxy so one side sits flush on fingerboard.
5;clean backside of the zero fret so the new nut sits flush against it.
6;let dry then restring.

That said I would love to know why you want to do this and two I take no responcability for anything you do.It would be best as suggested to talk to your favorite tech first.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Agree with everything above. In most cases zero fret was used on very cheap guitars just so they sound louder. There are some luthiers, like Langejans, who use it for different reasons (I assume), but mostly it's not in use now...
Is there a life beyond the third fret?!

Wow! I had no idea I would strike a nerve when I asked this question. My reason for asking was out of curiosity, not out of a desire to convert either my larry parlor or Guild GAD-30R to a zero fret. I want to thank Rob for the detailed information and his patient response. I guess the next question should be a separate thread "what are the reasons some of the custom makers are still producing zero fret guitars."

Jim

I know this sounds ignorant (b/c I am  :laughin: ) but what exactly is a "zero fret" and whats the purpose? How does it make the guitar louder?
Sincerely,
-The Hickman

You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
                                                       -Psalm 16:17

I've never heard anything about a zero fret making a guitar louder.Why anyone use a zero fret today I can not tell yoi though if you think about it the Buzz Fientin Nut is sort of a zero fret.A zero fret was used to correct in some case's intonation due to poorly cut fingerboards with too much space between the nut and the first fret.Also some were by design so there was less waste.Back in the old days we would put a zero fret on our 12 string guitars so we could get much lower action at the nut.I'm sure there are other reasons and of course I could be completely wrong.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: The Hickman on December 30, 2009, 02:44:32 PM
I know this sounds ignorant (b/c I am  :laughin: ) but what exactly is a "zero fret" and whats the purpose? How does it make the guitar louder?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_fret

I don't think it makes the guitar louder or see how it could. I imagine it would only make it quieter if anything.

I think the idea of a 'zero fret' (fret instead of the nut - zero position/zero fret) is that the sound in open position is the 'same' as when fretted. Maybe more sustain? "Brassyness?"  I don't see enough benefit to give it more than a passing thought. But I know someone who wants to put it on his Stratocaster. If I remember, I'll ask him why.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: cke on December 30, 2009, 10:15:11 PM
I think the idea of a 'zero fret' (fret instead of the nut - zero position/zero fret) is that the sound in open position is the 'same' as when fretted.

Yeah but I think of that as a detriment not a benefit.

Look up Fylde guitars (UK), HG Leach (CA), those are 2 that I know using it.  Harv Leach has explained it on newsgroup rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic in the past, you could google that.