Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to cover hole after removed preamp  (Read 8476 times)
frankhond

Ignore
« on: December 26, 2009, 09:21:15 PM »

Hi All,

I recently bought a LV-03RE and I never, ever use those kind of onboard electronics. So I'm going to remove them. It's the standard Baggs undersaddle pickup and the square preamp cut into the side of the guitar. The undersaddle pickup is easy to remove (I'll have a new saddle made) but when you remove the preamp there is a big square hole in the side of the guitar. Are there an good solutions out there to cover it up nondestructively in the case I need to put the preamp back in (can't see that happening really, except if I decide to sell the guitar sometime in the future). Is there some plate you can get and screw it on? Or is it best to plug it up with wood? Suggestions?
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 12:30:54 AM »

2 solutions:

1. Sell the guitar as is and buy one without the electric stuff, or;

2. Live with it and let the next guy decide what to do about it (he may be a recovering strat guy).

If you take the control panel out everyone is going to know it was supposed to be there and I doubt anything short of replacing the sides of the guitar will look like an unfortunate modification. Of course, if this is your life-long soul mate you can do anything you want to it but I'm afraid you're going to have re-sale issues if you pull it out.

Only an opinion but at least it's mine.

fred

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 12:41:37 AM »

If you really like this guitar an option may be to see how it sounds with the hole there acting as a sound port. If you like it then you could have the hole cleaned up and made to look more like a sound port. Just another thought.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 12:56:50 AM »

If you really like this guitar an option may be to see how it sounds with the hole there acting as a sound port. If you like it then you could have the hole cleaned up and made to look more like a sound port. Just another thought.

OK. That would be a good addition to 1 and 2.

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 03:09:25 AM »

1. Sell the guitar as is and buy one without the electric stuff, or;

2. Live with it and let the next guy decide what to do about it (he may be a recovering strat guy).

Gotta agree with these - I've seen some really nice guitars that I passed on because they had barn doors in the sides for the electronics, and one with a patched up barn door would be even worse!

You may find that the difference in tone between keeping the pickup or removing it is pretty minimal - the difference between replacing it with bone vs Tusq will be alot greater. 

Intact and working electronics will add alot more value if you ever want to sell it -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 03:55:24 AM »

You could take the pickup out and just leave the preamp.

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 05:40:48 AM »

Yup, but that sounds to easy

frankhond

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 11:55:10 AM »

Hehe, yes I have considered all of these points. Actually I was planning on keeping the electronics in a box, and putting them back in if a resale situation arises. Hence the issue of covering the hole up in a nondestructive way. I was hoping for some retrofit plate that fits exactly in the hole and can be screwed in place with the same screws in the same screwholes, so no modification of the wood would be necessary. But I can't find anything like this anywhere...

About the sound, well, I do have the feeling that this lv-03R sounds a bit dull on the high end, there are not many guitars to compare with where I live but I have played a few lv-09's and they are more lively. Also my lv-09Adi is much more lively but the adi top might have something t do with this. So I was thinking to eliminate the stuff between saddle and bridge to start with. Maybe others have a similar experience, and a different fix?
cc407

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 12:23:46 PM »

Duct tape.
frankhond

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 02:22:57 PM »

Duct tape.

Actually an old trick if you want to diminish feedback, but then it's supposed to cover the *sound hole*. 
frankhond

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 02:25:55 PM »

Speaking of which, what is the easiest way to remove the pickup? Can I just pull it out through the drilled hole in the bridge or should I lift out the pickup and cut the wire?
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 02:36:48 PM »

Can't really add to Fred and Danny's suggestions. One other thought: Is the guitar insured? If not you could always just call Pete Townsend and let him borrow it for a show. Just kidding.

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 04:15:59 PM »

You could design a little puppet head that pops up out of the hole like a jack in the box and starts singing, just learn some ventriloquism.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 05:48:59 PM »

You could design a little puppet head that pops up out of the hole like a jack in the box and starts singing, just learn some ventriloquism.

tadol
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 08:40:26 PM »

I've wondered when someone would think of using that space to store a capo, some picks, a tuner, extra b & e strings, etc. -

Tad

Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -
SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 10:26:26 PM »

First off I would just leave the electronics as they wouldn't bother me. .  That being said if I had a guitar with a barn door hole I would probably be tempted to make an elipse, oval, or round shape out of the opening and because it would be quite large, design a routed cover for it similar to a soundhole cover.  It would look the closest to a "planned" design and have the potential to look great with the bonus of a functioning soundport.  It would also still be removable and could accommodate different designs. 

Steve ....aka the SMan
frankhond

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 10:58:40 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjEznClI1NI
frankhond

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 11:00:34 PM »

First off I would just leave the electronics as they wouldn't bother me. .  That being said if I had a guitar with a barn door hole I would probably be tempted to make an elipse, oval, or round shape out of the opening and because it would be quite large, design a routed cover for it similar to a soundhole cover.  It would look the closest to a "planned" design and have the potential to look great with the bonus of a functioning soundport.  It would also still be removable and could accommodate different designs. 

Yeah, not a bad idea, actually I'm looking into some rapid prototyping at the moment, maybe some cool design could be made out of this... will get back when I have something ready. 
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 08:08:55 AM »

I'm going to try to talk you into just leaving it alone.  Because while you might not use it now, you could in the future.  My OM-03RE is the best sounding guitar I own, and there are 3 other non electrified Larrivee's in the stable.

I only got the electronics because it was a good price, and didn't use them or even bother to test them for 4-5 years probably, but I have to admit that whenever I play out, it's a heck of a lot easier to simply plug in than to mic the guitar, and having the controls at your fingertips on the side is nice when the sound guy does not know your stuff so you can adjust your volume yourself when you change from a strummed song to a fingerpicked one.

If the highs are missing in action I would definitely check to make certain that the saddle is completely flat on the bottom and properly seated against the transducer, and you can also try a bone saddle to bring out the trebles some.  I'd do that before I cut any wires.  

If it really bothers you and you know you will never use the electronics, sell it and replace it with a nice used LV-09.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
frankhond

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 08:56:36 PM »

I actually looked at the saddle today and, well, it's hard to say anything intelligent since I don't know how it's supposed to look. I might bring it to a good luthier after the holidays to check out other options. Are you saying a bone saddle gives it more treble? I thought it would mellow the sound instead.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: