Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fret Wires  (Read 1262 times)
stevelawsn

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2003, 11:18:43 PM »

I have a '97 model D03 that is a great guitar. The ends of the fret wires have a little rough spot which feels almost like a burr left over from trimming the wires when they were set in the neck. I am sure that it came from Larrivee like this. Has anyone else noticed this on a Larrivee before? I would like to file the ends if I though that could do it without touching the edge of the ebony fingerboard. Do you think that I should try this or just live with it? I really only notice it when sliding my left hand up or down the neck.  

Larrivee D-03 (1997 model)
Larrivee LS-05
Larrivee 00-05
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 11:43:57 PM »

Steve if it comes and goes then you need to rehydrate your guitar.Don't be afraid of a file job,this is best done by a pro but if your frisky,use at least an 800 mill file at a slight angle and with out pressing to hard do a swipe or 4 and feel the neck.You can leave the strings on.If you like email me or call me at the shop and we can work something out for you. B)  

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 01:51:37 AM »

i bought a set of files that are concave on the edhes... and I thought they were made for fret ends. They worked on my OM-01 which by the sounds of it, had the same problem.
Roman

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 09:09:11 PM »

As stated, it sounds like your guitar had "dried out" at one point.  Whether you currently maintain proper humidity won't correct the sharp fret ends unfortunately.  You will need to get them filed and buffed.  Yes, you can do it yourself with the proper tools, but to do it right takes time, patience and experience.  You may want to take it to a luthier and have it done.  You might want to get the frets checked for leveling and polishing too while it's there . . .

Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom
bikodog

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 12:28:52 AM »

I agree with Roman.   I bought a used 96 D-03 and it had the same thing.  I took it to a luthier and had the fret ends filed, the frets leveled, and a bone saddle installed.  The compensated saddle really improved the guitars intonation, and the set up gave it great low action.

I'd recommend you let a professional do it right, otherwise they might have to fix your mistakes too.

Larrivee D-03
Larrivee D-02 12 String
Blueridge BG-140 (J-45's are overpriced!)
Gibson J-45 (J-45's were overpriced :) )
stevelawsn

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 02:59:17 PM »

Thanks for the insights. I did buy the guitar used, so I do not know if it had been properly stored at all times. I guess that ebony must be more susceptable to shrinkage because I have not run across this problem with the fingerboard on a rosewood guitar before. I plan on working with unclrob to find out how to correct it properly. There are no other obvious signs of shrinkage (cracks, etc) on the guitar that I can see. Thanks again!  

Larrivee D-03 (1997 model)
Larrivee LS-05
Larrivee 00-05
JuanValdez

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 06:12:34 PM »

You know, Steve, I had this problem with two guitars that came to me used.  One was resolved by adding a humidifier (sponge in an open plastic bag) to the case.  I'm in Utah, so we have to humidify guitars here year round.  It is typically dry in the summer and worse in winter.  The second instrument OM 03 had to have the fret ends worked on by my local luthier.  It turned out great!  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: