Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some info Yamaha G-100A  (Read 4937 times)
love2play21

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2009, 08:19:28 PM »

So I have come across a Yamaha (Nippon Gakki) G-100A made in Japan.  It has rosewood back and sides and it seems to be about a OO guitar size.  This sweet thing did sound great even with strings that were almost black.  The shop is asking $99, what do yall think.  I have seen the great debate of label color and I have no idea what this qualifies as, it appears to be gold with black .  Is this a solid wood guitar or all laminate (i can't find information on this guitar at all).  Any information yall can provide I'd enjoy it! thanks

Greg
L-09
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 07:42:35 PM »

My wife has a G-170A which appears very similar. You have the 'right ' label - brown with gold. Made in Japan.  (check to see if there is a "Made in Japan" decal on the back of the headstock.) Ours was 68 -72 or so. We think it is a '70. Laminated Rosewood B/S. Solid spruce top died to look like cedar. Nice easy action nice if uncomplicated tone.

There were, at least with our model, 2 different gits with the same designation. The Nippon Gaki Japanese were solid top and thereby more desirable. There were also all laminated Taiwanese versions, different label. Really hard to get good info on the Yamaha's from the era when they were first imported for some reason.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
love2play21

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 02:05:48 AM »

well it is made in Japan. its a 3/4 size classical with a new set of strings I walked out with it for a couch for 35% off what they were asking. I cant complain to much it wont replace my L-09 but it will fill its niche.   
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 06:06:00 AM »

I own a lot of old Yamaha nylon strings, all bought here in Japan. By the end of the `60s they had perfected the laminating process and there were many many models. All of mine were built before that...I`ve got some going back to the early `50s if I can trust what I gathered on line here and from passages from books that I get my wife to translate for me.  Evidently record keeping was low on the list of priorities so it`s real difficuly getting accurate data. I see LOTS of those type of classicals on line in Japan under a variety of model numbers and with that label...but I`m not sure about any of those so I don`t buy them, do know some about the Yamaha Dynamics that came before, like I said going back to at least the early `50s...my earliest has a 3 digit serial... and I know those are solid wood. If you have a watchmakers loupe use that to look at the top and try to se if it`s solid or not...but you may have to live with the fact that you may never know for sure, unless somebody who was there decides to write the definitive book on the company, otherwise join the ranks of the unsure...along with me.
love2play21

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »

it appears to be a solid wood top but for my purposes, couch guitar to be used when drinking it fits the bill.  Don't really care if it falls apart down the road.
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 12:22:38 PM »

Point is that Yamaha's are not concert quality customs. But they well made (durable) and acceptable sounding gits. It should serve you well! Unless your drinking buddies want to play El Cabong!

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
sneaky
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 05:22:25 PM »

yeah that series is not concert quality, but Yamaha builds those too...we see the lower end stuff around web sites `cause I think most people outside Japan are still not ready to drop thousands of dollars on a Yamaha, most see them as " just a Yamaha" but their solid wood guitars can be outstanding, right up there with anything made by anybody.
Yamaha was very good at disguising their laminated tops...I had to use my watchmakers loupe to see the top of my FG-170 was 1 very thin layer over a thicker layer followed by another very thin layer...I would have bet money ...and lost. I`m a couch player too and I tell ya, I love my old Dynamics, wouldn`t trade for them for anything and they can build a great guitar when they want to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: