Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another stringpinion  (Read 1293 times)
mas music

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2009, 03:33:11 AM »

I purchase my beloved Larrivee in August. I have tried 4 different sets of strings so far. This is my stringpinion.

4th place - Cleartones ...

3rd place - Dean Markley Goldphos

2nd place - Dean Markley Goldbronze

1st place D'addarios EXP phosphor bronze

Cleartones came on the guitar from the factory.  Lot's of folks love to hate these strings But I really like the feel of them. On the down side they sound a bit week compaired to the others.

Dean Markley Goldphos were my favorite string on my now departed Ovation. These are a great choice if you want to warm up the sound of your guitar. On the Larrivee they were just a bit to mellow.

Dean Markley Gold bronze sounded much better then the goldphos. Bright , clean and crisp. Nice strings.

The D'addario Exp's were richer and warmer  then the Gold bronze yet brighter then the Goldphos. The highs are sweet and clear with out being overly bright. They have a natural balanced tone that nicely compliments the tone of the Larrivee.

*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 03:40:44 AM »

I like the Dean Markley Gold Bronze, but my favorites are EJ-16's

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 03:41:47 AM »

I learned about Curt Mangan strings from another forum and have recommended them every chance I get. I use them exclusively now and am extremely pleased with their performance. They last like a coated string and their only problem is finding them locally. I think you can buy them direct and from all reports Curt is an up front kinda guy: http://www.curtmangan.com/

Don't play 'em if you don't want to get hooked.

f +1

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 04:13:28 AM »

I use Dean Markley vintage bronze 80/20.In a pinch I use D'addarios.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 08:53:08 PM »

I learned about Curt Mangan strings from another forum and have recommended them every chance I get. I use them exclusively now and am extremely pleased with their performance. They last like a coated string and their only problem is finding them locally. I think you can buy them direct and from all reports Curt is an up front kinda guy: http://www.curtmangan.com/

Don't play 'em if you don't want to get hooked.

f +1

I can second the curt mangan strings. Just recently put medium 80/20's on My hog top and am very impressed. All the P/B's I've used on the Hog sounded good but there was always some drone notes, not so with the 80/20's. Plus they add a touch of brightness to the Hog top.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 12:58:22 AM »

DR Sunbeams for me, feel great, last long, sound grand, what more can a guy want. I do like the Curt's too, they are a very nice string, compression wrapped liked the Sunbeams so they do last. They just feel like fence wire after playing on Sunnys. 

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Daysailer

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 06:30:03 AM »

+1  for the DR Sunbeams.

Just make sure you tune them up to pitch before trimming the ends.
The windings on round core strings have a habit of unwinding and going dead if you trim before the winding is locked in at the tuning post.
ds

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person
webberink

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 07:57:33 PM »

My go to strings have become Wyres PTTF coated.  They have replaced Elixirs and D'addario's on all my guitars except my 12 string which isn't due a string change just yet.  On my 2 Larrivees,  I have gone to Mediums PB on my D09 and Lights 80/20 bronze on my OM09 Walnut.  They are the most responsive string I have found so far, particularly to bending notes and they seem to just get better with age.  I have had sets on my Larrivees now for about 2 months and they are better than when they went on.  I play gigs 5-6 times a week and I am impressed.  Check them out at http://www.wyresstrings.com/store/category.php?id_category=77  Wyres hand makes their strings for every stringed instrument imaginable, from piano to banjo.  Wyres now also carries an interesting assortment of pickups, picks and other guitar toys none which I have tried.  The strings though I can vouch for.
Dave

I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 09:01:52 PM »

+1 +1 +1

For Curt Mangans....I may still use some elixirs on my less played guitars but for the 2 that I pick up everyday...Curt Managans are the way to go...best sounding string I have found.  I get mine from Little brother Blues...he gets a good deal and passes it along.

http://www.littlebrotherblues.com/ManganStrings/index.html

Cheers,

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
itscowfun

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 07:03:13 AM »

used to be daddarios, then moved to martin SP.  tried one set of john pearses and boy, all my GAS is gone and i love my larrivee more than ever.  its like a second honeymoon.  something about those strings is just so amazing, i ordered 3 more sets  bigrin

Old Flames:
Silvercreek T-160
Taylor 214
Big E

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 01:51:19 AM »

Excellent thread on strings. I'm taking notes and can't wait to try a few different brands.

"If at 1st you don't succeed, sky-diving is NOT for you"
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 06:29:47 PM »

I am 6 weeks into my L-09 and doing some experimenting with strings.

My 'baseline' are D'addario EJ 17 or Martin Sp PB 4200 mediums only.

I have tried Reds mediums. After they settled in for about 12 hours, they sounded good (not before though). Warm, meatier, but the unwound strings seemed unpolished compared  to Martin, and felt draggy when I finger pick. I'll try them again  soon. .. I found it is true that they make you gravitate to Pete Seeger songs...

Next I will try GHS Laurence Juber  True Mediums.

BTW when I found my L-09 it was strung with tired mediums, that sounded like PB. When I went back to play it after playing  a bunch of top name gits and thinking I had found the Holy Grail, the salesman had done me a 'favor' and restrung it with Cleartone lights. Awful strings - bzzzz weak white characterless. I almost walked away thinking I had only imagined the sound quality that had wowed me days before.

I made them change strings twice and played it a lot over the next week to be sure it really had the magic I remembered.

Now I am really suspicious of coated strings. Right now I want to change strings often - every 2 weeks so far - though the Martin 4200 are really holding up. Maybe when I have decided on my string I'll try EXP's or Elixirs, but I don't mind changing strings, and don't have so many gits that it would make me try to find longer lasting ones.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
frankhond

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 07:18:02 PM »

After tons of different brand tests, I basically buy Martin PB SP or DAddario PB, 12 gauge. The Daddario goes on my L-03R (gives it a bit extra brightness) and the Martin on my L-09Adi (gives it a bit more growl). No matter what kind of new brand I try, they always dull down soon enough and the best tone is the first days after changing... And coated strings do change the tone, either you like that or you dont. I only like coated strings on a 12-string, so my taylor ga4-12 has elixirs.

Something to try if you like the elixir smooth sound but want to keep the growl in the bass is Martin PB SP Marquis - the silk wrap scoops the sound slightly.
mas music

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 07:08:53 PM »

Wow, lot's of great feedback, thanks to all. On a differant thread Thomastik Spectrum's  have also been highly recommended. In      due time I will try them as well as the Curt Mangans. The D'addario's are fairly inexpensive and have a nice natural balanced tone.  For the record I'm using the new & improved EXP's .The quest for the perfect strings never ends still, I am very pleased with the sound of  The EXP's.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

*Larrivee L03 Bubinga
*Kremona Sophia classical
*Taylor 562ce
* Makala Baritone Ukulele
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: