Open-back Tuning machines on the Traditional Series

Started by kwakatak, November 28, 2009, 10:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I fell in love with the finely etched details on the open-back tuners on a D-60. Who makes them and where can I get a set? Also, will they fit the same peg holes as the Pings on the regular rounded Larrivée headstock?
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

The open back have 2 mounting screws rather than one, so you are going to have to do a little customization to replace those Pings no matter what. I agree, they look pretty nice - Waverly makes a gold set with engraved backplates and engraved buttons that I'd love, but quite a ways out of my price range. Gotoh makes some nice looking ones at a pretty good price though -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Grover Sta-tites (the 18:1 models) are very good alternatives, and I believe of equal quality to the Waverlies - they look almost identical, and are much more affordable. I believe those are the machines Santa Cruz GC use with their name on.
They also require two screws like Tad explained though.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Tuners/Grover_18:1_Sta-Tites.html
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Yeah, I'm aware that they're not drop-ins and that the Grover Sta Tites are an option. I actually ordered the Sta-Tites with the necessary bushings last year, but when I went to put them on it turned out I'd ordered the slothead type and that I'd lost my receipt so that I couldn't return them. I still have them in my desk drawer and should probably put 'em up for sale.

That being said, my point was that the tuners on the Traditional D-60 that I tried were just exquisitely detailed and were that much nicer in appearance than the Grover Sta-Tites. I'm guessing that they were Waverlies then?
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Quote from: kwakatak on November 30, 2009, 12:31:27 AM
Yeah, I'm aware that they're not drop-ins and that the Grover Sta Tites are an option. I actually ordered the Sta-Tites with the necessary bushings last year, but when I went to put them on it turned out I'd ordered the slothead type and that I'd lost my receipt so that I couldn't return them. I still have them in my desk drawer and should probably put 'em up for sale.

That being said, my point was that the tuners on the Traditional D-60 that I tried were just exquisitely detailed and were that much nicer in appearance than the Grover Sta-Tites. I'm guessing that they were Waverlies then?

Acually I beleive I had read somewhere that they were made by Ping for Larrivee. They used to be available through the Larrivee Wearables site but I don't see them anymore.
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

I just did a quick search and came up with this quote from Matthew Larrivee that Randy Rick has on his site.

Larrivee Tuners
Matthew Larrivee on 6/26/03:

All current Larrivee Guitars - Including the -50 and -60 series use ping tuners. This has been the way for at least three years now.

The -50 and -60 use a custom cut exclusive open back engraved tuner, while the rest of our line uses either full size or mini Pingwell (Ping) tuners.

We were reluctant at first to use these tuners (because it was a new brand that few had heard of), but after seeing them and using 20000 sets, we have come to the conclusion that the quality surpasses that of Schaller & Gotoh. The tuners are smooth, and even with very nice chrome.

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

They are really nice. I have them on the OM-50 TSB. Love the etching. I think you are right that Larrivee had them made by Ping esp. for them.
I can't really agree with Zohn regarding the Grover Sta-tites being comparable to the Waverlys though. The Grover plate is actually two-piece which I consider to be somewhat inferior to Waverly's one-piece plate.

Hey Queeq
I'm not sure what you mean by 2-piece plate, could you explain please?
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: Zohn on December 03, 2009, 11:48:35 AM
Hey Queeq
I'm not sure what you mean by 2-piece plate, could you explain please?
I'm looking at a stewmac photo here, and I wonder if they have changed their design. Kind of hard to tell but 2 years ago, the plate that screwed in to the back of the headstock was fashioned from 2 pieces of metal, divided just below where the two cogs meet. I can't see it in this photo so either they have made changes the design or alternatively, I may be crazy. You choose.  :arrow

I don't mean to split hairs here, my mate Hans has been using these on most of his guitars, and I could not see any evidence of multi-plates. The Stew-Mac photos show them exactly as they are  - they operate accurate and smooth, thanks to the fact that they use un-plated brass gears, and with minimum back-lash. I believe the Sta-tites are the best value for money, period. They also come in 14:1 ratio (Waverley uses an "in-between" 16:1). The photo from Queequeg's post is the 18:1 model.
Waverlies are the ultimate factory-made machines I suppose, most manufacturers of up-class guitars use them - I'm by no means suggesting otherwise.

Here's an article which compares Sta-tites with Schallers as alternatives to Waverlies.  (BTW - I don't work for Grover) :winkin:
http://www.13thfret.com/articles/grover_review.shtml

Guess I need to update my web page with the info that Larrivee is now using Schallers on the standard models above the 03 series.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519