Who were the artists that sparked your interest to play music

Started by unclerufus, December 03, 2009, 10:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My apologies for forgetting the donuts and coffee

:donut :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2 :coffee :coffee :donut2 :donut2

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster.  I realized that I listed people who are generally known as electric guitarist.  I have to say if you ever get a chance to see Richard Thompson on an Acoustic tour do yourself a favor and go see him.  I have to credit Norman Blake for getting me off my duff at age 46 and actually go but a guitar and start learning. 

I currently own a Larrivee D-03SP and a lust in my heart for a 00-60.  I know, I know there is one listed in the for sale sign.   I signed up to lead a Philmont backpacking trip this summer with my son's boy scout troop and all disposable income is going to pay for the trip.  That is the only thing keeping the GAS under control.

I have to share that recently pulled out my starter Washburn D-10S.  I highly recommend it as a starter guitar, but it sure made appreciate the the tone and balance of my D-03. 
D-03SP

I suppose the first person to show me that acoustic guitar had a place in rock music was Steve Howe when I bought the amazing 'Yes Album'   :smile:

In high school during the Great Folk Scare of the 60's, and the British Invasion, so ...

Peter Paul & Mary, Gordon Lightfoot, Leonard Cohen, The Beatles & the Stones -- but all on acoustic, in fact on nylon. Didn't get a steel string flattop until the late 70's, my Guild D-25.
Old Folkie
1974 Guild D25 (Fishman Matrix PU)
2005 Larrivee L-03 (from bleumax) with K&K Pure Mini PU
Also dabble in fiddle, clawhammer banjo, cavequeno

The Troggs, Beatles, Stones, Buddy Holly - the first song I ever attempted was "Love is all around". Then there were others like "Words of love", "Needles and Pins", The Stones' "Tell me" - I used to listen to that "Hot Rocks" LP no end.
I started out some 38 years ago with my brother's Ariana classical which he still has today...  oh my word, where has the time gone?  :ohmy:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

For me it started with Bruce Cockburn which led to listening to Don Ross and namely those two inspired me to take up fingerstyle guitar.
1986 Larrivee L-05

I have to say that who really started it for me was John Denver, however, that being said, I also have to Johnny Cash and Glen Campbell ( who I had a huge crush on).

Somewhat more recent than that would be Brian May.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

Not sure who the really influenced me - probably Norman Blake.  Maybe tied with Doc Watson and Tony Rice.  Played bass through high school and had no knowledge of anything other than classical music to high school.   There are still times when I want to grow up and be Norman.

Do have to mention two folks who have sorta had an indirect influence on my trying to play fingerstyle recently - Dakota Dave Hull and Phil Heywood.  Both steller musicians. 

Also want to mention Paula Bradley to giving me a couple good lessons a few years ago to help get my rhythm stronger.

Otherwise it's a lot of no-name stringband back up guitarists that played on 78s in the 20s and 30s.
Eric P.
------------------------
Larrivee L-01
Lind 00-21S
'30s Biltmore
a few others

Well I had a friend, a good, inspiring friend, used to plant Satre or Montagne in my confused teenage brain...time passes, kindly for I, not so for him. Paths cross fleetingly till, at age forty we end up rather drunk on an old fishing boat and he starts to play Jansch, Jackson C Frank,Dylan, Fairport, etc.

Anyway I buy a few Jansch cds and stumble across Angi..well that was it!!!! Couldnt believe it was one guitar. This took me to Davey Graham, Julian Bream, John Dowland..and now Im drooling for a D03.

My friend? Well hes still living free on a cold small yacht, I gave him a Martin copy/kit(The bracings stamped D28 and it has no truss rod) and hes played out a few times..Lord Franklin being a standard, his nails are clearing up..but man....time passes, I really wanna play with him
If I was where I would be, then Id be where I am not, here I am where I must be, where I would be I cannot....Bert Jansch.

Simon & Garfunkle, PP&M, James Taylor, John Denver, of course the Beatles.
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"

Justin Hayward is at the top of my list for the British Invasion.

Here is a recent solo of "New Horizons"on a nice 12 string. This was on the album Seventh Sojourn by the Moody Blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ1Ldj254hM

Ultimately it became my favorite song recorded by the MB's and Justin.

Once I thought about it, I realized that the first instrument I tried to play, was the trumpet in 2nd grade. The first musician I can recall loving the sound of was Satchmo's horn. Nat Cole's voice too. Thanks to the next door neighbor, who was an audiophile with eclectic tastes, I discovered the wonders of Jobim's music at the same time. God I owe that man a lot. Sure Mr. Burgess is long gone, but thanks to him wherever he is. Having said that Loved seeing Jimmy Durante call out to Mrs. Calabash, along with the rest of America. Still love his records.

Later on it was Dylan, The Beatles, Stones, Doors, and Buffalo Springfield, then The Dead.