Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who were the artists that sparked your interest to play music  (Read 3523 times)
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 01:48:24 PM »

After a miserable attempt in my teens to play guitar, I put it aside until five years ago when I saw a video of Feist playing her Guild semi-hollow singing "Secret Heart" on a radio show and said to myself. "I think I could do that." The rest is non-history.

If it sounds good, it is good.

Johnny M
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »

When I was a kid my parents listened to country music, so all the usual suspects.  I was the oldest and didn't have anyone to introduce me to music, so I fiddled with the radio dial and loved checking out record stores.  I bought my first Beatles record the day John Lennon was shot.  That brings me up to about 13 yrs old and then junior high ... yeah, lots of music in my life but I have to give a nod to Gordon Lightfoot and Neil Young.

...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/
madoclake

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 11:17:51 PM »

I was born in 1963. So I grew up listening to all the usual suspects listed by otehrs above - Neil Young, Bruce Cockburn, The Stones, etc. And so those are my musical influences and they are the artists I try to cover now. But who actually made me want to play music, not just listen to it? That was Stephen Fearing - also born in 1963 - and his live CD called "2000 Miles" released about 7 or 8 years ago. I've never even met him, but thank you Stephen! So who inspired you to want to play?

Peter
Larrivee L-09
Larrivee RS-2 2010
Larrivee RS-4 1983 "Explorer"
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 11:27:28 PM »

I left out Eric Burden and the Animals. They had something.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
dgrose

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 12:33:26 AM »

...Elvis. Then some new comers from England came along.

+1 That about sums it up for me too. Elvis and Rick Nelson got me interested in strumming a guitar and singing. The Beatles, and later, The Turtles and Frank Zappa, got me interested in writing songs.

dg

unclerufus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 12:20:08 AM »

I forgot a couple. Dad used to have records (yup vinyl) of Segovia and the one that I really loved a flamenco guitarist named Carlos Montoya. Carlos had a terrific album that was recorded live in St. Louis, MO.
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 01:40:58 AM »

There are boatloads of artists that I listened to, but the ones that inspired me to play are:

Mississippi John Hurt
Jorma Kaukonen

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
rockhound

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2009, 08:00:50 AM »

Like many others I dabbled as a teenager, learning some Dylan songs etc.  But it was Jimmy Page that made me want to learn to play the guitar properly (note to self - still need to achieve that goal!) when I had the opportunity to take it up again about 6 years ago.  Neil Young and Jackson Browne have also been strong influences, but at the moment the guy who really blows me away is Joe Bonamassa.

2007 Larrivée L-03R
2008 Tanglewood TW66
1992 Fenix D-90SR
2006 Fender American Telecaster
2007 Schecter C-1 Exotic Star (w/ Bare Knuckle Black Dog pups)
2003 Yamaha RGX420
BenF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 08:15:16 AM »

Initially, my desire to play guitar came from guitarists like John Squire, Porl Thompson and Johnny Marr, as with older siblings I grew up listening to The Smiths, the Cure and later the Stone Roses instead of the mainstream rubbish my friends were into.

However, learning the guitar, particularly in the last 2 years as I have become more serious about it, has opened my eyes to different genres and styles, and I am now inspired by a totally different type of artist, like John Martyn, Nick Drake, and instrumental artists like Andy McKee and Eric Roche.

Ben
2009 FIII LS-03RHB #5

http://www.youtube.com/user/1978BenF
Bug

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2009, 10:27:46 AM »

When I was a kid I always wanted to learn guitar but we could never afford an instrument.  I wanted to play like James Taylor or Jim Croce.  I remember hearing "Night Moves" opening guitar strumming and thinking it sounded pretty easy and if I could just play that I'd be happy.

My oldest brother finally bought a plywood guitar and I learned off that.  I learned a lot of Eagles tunes and "Night Moves" and I was happy.  I bought an album in about 1979 of Michael Gulezian - wow.  There is a song on his first album called "Without Her".  I figured if I could play that song, then I could consider myself a guitar player.  It took many years but I finally learned it.

Bug
Guitar Player
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2009, 01:29:28 PM »

I was born in 1963. So I grew up listening to all the usual suspects listed by otehrs above - Neil Young, Bruce Cockburn, The Stones, etc. And so those are my musical influences and they are the artists I try to cover now. But who actually made me want to play music, not just listen to it? That was Stephen Fearing - also born in 1963 - and his live CD called "2000 Miles" released about 7 or 8 years ago. I've never even met him, but thank you Stephen! So who inspired you to want to play?

Nice to see another person aware of Stephen Fearing. His last CD, Yellowjacket is brilliant. Also check out his great work with BaRK. Blackie and the Rodeo Kings, that is. I had the chance to see him at the Winnipeg Folk Festival and he's very affable and a fine performer. He was here last spring and we ended up having to give the tickets away. Both to sick to go out. Our friends said he was terrific. Doh!     
Jeff

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2009, 02:01:39 PM »

It started with the Beatle's,then the Monkee's.On to Hendrix,CSN+Y,Allman bro's,Marshall Tucker,C Danials,Cowboy and ON and ON.

That pretty much nails it for me--I'd add James Taylor and Bob Dylan though.  Then I discovered Kottke and retired my flat pick.  Much later got into the old country blues player--Mississippi John Hurt, Son House, Robert Johnson, etc.

OMV-40
OM-3R
LV-03
Martin OMC-15E
Late 70's Univox Acoustic
Kentucky Mandolin
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2009, 02:10:56 PM »

I'd have to say, unfortunately, that I don't recall the names of the musicians who've first inspired me.  I was sixteen, my best friend learned from his older brother of a coffe house on the Yale campus called the Enormous Room.  There was all manner of acoustic music, and all kinds of instruments guitars, banjos, dulcimers...  I most loved the sound of the hammer dulcimer which maybe got me interested in the twelve string because of the full octave chiming harmonious heavenly sound.  I recently discovered that one of the people from that era, Ron Anthony, used to play there then (circa 1971); he is a regular at one of the open mics I frequent now; you should hear that guy play country blues!

As far as musicians that everyone else would know, I'd have to say Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, Harvey Reid and Alex Degrassi have to be at the top of my list.

DAVE  

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
GeeNorm

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2009, 02:45:37 PM »

Since there were two posts this month maybe I won't be the thread ender! But if I am I will have another thread to post on, "Are you a thread ender?"
Peter, Paul, and Mary followed by Dylan, The Beatles, Paul Simon, James Taylor, Cat Stevens ... the list still goes on. Music has brought and still brings a lot of joy but playing and composing brings even more.

Norman

Larrivee LSV-11E, LV-10E, Limited Edition D-03 IS/MH
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 bass, Ovation 12-string
{GASSING for RS-4}
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2009, 03:18:12 PM »

My interest to play music was inspired by cover bands I saw at a church carnival in 7th grade.
I took up trumpet to play Chicago, Ohio Players and Average white band aslo Tower of Power
fast forward to high school , played bass for 14 or so yrs , got married , gave  up gigging and bass
and needed to do something musical, guitar  was a natural transition, my brother played and I messed with it
every now and then,
The Beatles, James Taylor, John mayer,tommy E,and a host of others inspire me now.
Dave
NotRevGDavis

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2009, 05:35:49 PM »

I played Cello in Elementary and Junior High I was the rebel 'cause no one else wanted to play it. It made me tough- I had to carry the darn thing home on Friday and bring it back on Monday.

The single artist that got me interested in the guitar was Richey Havens live on film at Woodstock still watch it every once in awhile. Simple but powerful.

The band that inspired me was a garage band from Northern California in the mid-'60's called the Blues Magoos they always seemed like they were havin' so much fun.

The Dude abides.

KeithC

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2009, 11:49:04 PM »

Duane Allman, Ry Cooder and Richard Thompson.

D-03SP
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2009, 12:12:31 AM »

Duane Allman, Ry Cooder and Richard Thompson.

Keith-- Welcome to the forum.  You have great taste in music.  Are you a Larrivee owner? 

It is customary here to offer these:  in lieu of a handshake. 

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
gtrplayer

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2009, 01:18:44 AM »

Mississippi John Hurt, Reverend Gary Davis, Blind Arthur Blake, Ry Cooder, John Renbourn,

If I could play half as well as any of these great guitarists/artists    drool

gtrplayer
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2009, 08:17:18 AM »

Gotta add Don McClean.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: