Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who were the artists that sparked your interest to play music  (Read 3384 times)
unclerufus

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2009, 04:20:49 PM »

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum here and was just curious as to what artist or group of artists set you off on your musical journey. I was born in '66, but a lot of my musical heroes are very different from most folks my age. I grew up listening to Peter, Paul and Mary, Bud and Travis, The Everly Brothers, Jim Reaves, Patsy Cline, Eddy Arnold, Johnny Cash, John Denver, and three of my absolute favorites Marty Robbins, Jim Croce and James Taylor. Kind of a strange mix I know. I really got into the songs of Croce and Taylor about the time I was a freshman in HS. I think that's what drives my love of more acoustic-style music today. Things like Alison Krause and Union Station, Nickle Creek, Tommy Emmanuel. Just curious as what got everyone's metronome ticking.

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 04:40:51 PM »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Well, I guess I have a few inspirations.   James Taylor, Neil Young and Leonard Cohen were the first to spark an interest in songwriting.   I needed to learn to play a bit in order to write a few tunes so I picked up the guitar.    In the subsequent years there were a few players such as Johnny Winter, John Hammond, Muddy Waters and Roy Rogers who inspired me to learn slide guitar technique.

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 05:00:29 PM »

The very first songs I every played were the bass runs to Fire by Hendrix and the rhythm chords to 25 or 6 to 4 by Chicago.
                   Da da da da dum, da da da da dum, dadada,dadada, da da da da dum 
  Still from knowing nothing to playing barre chords up and down the neck in a few minutes wasn't a bad step.

Hank Williams to Motown, to live Grand Funk, Bob Seger and countless garage bands and the British invasion, (of which The Moody Blues got me searching for the lost chord. And Dylan and Guthrie of course. C S N & Y.

As well as others, but my longest lasting solo influence is Jackson Browne.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 05:01:45 PM »

Welcome!

Mississippi John Hurt.... bowdown bowdown

Nuff said!

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 05:08:11 PM »

Peter, Paul and Mary / Kingston Trio / The Limelighters

Thanks for the donuts. Nice to know some people read the rules (we're very strict and unfriendly here).

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 05:33:21 PM »

Peter, Paul and Mary / Kingston Trio / The Limelighters

Thanks for the donuts. Nice to know some people read the rules (we're very strict and unfriendly here).

f
 Heh, watch it buddy. Haven't you heard ?  Schadenfreude is on the loose around these parts.

("malicious joy in the misfortunes of others," 1922, from Ger., lit. "damage-joy," from schaden "damage, harm, injury" (see scathe) + freude, from O.H.G. frewida "joy," from fro "happy," lit. "hopping for joy," from P.Gmc.)

It may replace   soon as our way of giving each other an internet "Knuckle Sandwich"

"ALL lies in jest, still a man hears what he wants to here and disregards the rest''
                             The Boxer... now that was an influence. ie. Paul Simon

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 05:46:05 PM »

Van Gogh, Monet, Rembrandt ...  oh wait, you mean guitar players? Why didn't you say so?  
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 07:35:01 PM »

1st 2 songs...Gloria, House of the Rising Sun.  When I couldn't afford an electric and amp, I learned Donovan songs....Catch the Wind, Colours, Universal Soldier...etc. Later...Neil Young.
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 08:42:37 PM »

All kinds of stuff from folk, to folk rock, to rock and blues and jazz sparked my interest. When I finally got off lazy butt and started playing around 16, It was mainly Niel Young, Dylan, Beatles, mixed with blues and attempts at Allman Bros and Hendrix.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 11:37:31 PM »

Django.

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 03:01:13 AM »

It started with the Beatle's,then the Monkee's.On to Hendrix,CSN+Y,Allman bro's,Marshall Tucker,C Danials,Cowboy and ON and ON.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 05:11:56 AM »

For guitar - U2's 'I Will Follow' got me hooked on guitar, simply because I could play it without taking a single lesson.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
SMan
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 05:52:36 AM »

welcome and thanks for the 

JT without a doubt.

Steve ....aka the SMan
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 06:01:34 AM »

It started with the Beatle's,then the Monkee's.On to Hendrix,CSN+Y,Allman bro's,Marshall Tucker,C Danials,Cowboy and ON and ON.
Rob admits he liked the Monkey's! Of course they really were good songs written by good song writers and a list of great musicians did the recordings. I liked the Monkeys too.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 12:48:27 PM »

Beatles, Paul Simon, Neil Young, Cat Stevens, Jimmy Page, Pierre Bensusan, Leo Kottke, John Renbourn...and many, many others

dermot

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 04:23:41 PM »

11 years old, listening to CBC on my transistor radio at night when i should have been sleeping... heard Bert & John doing "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat"....
LaminateBoy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 04:42:28 PM »

Gordon Lightfoot

L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 04:50:18 PM »

Who sang Bimbo? Oh yeah, Jim Reeves. Then there's Hank Williams. Jimmie Rodgers. Elvis. Then some new comers from England came along.
bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 05:21:14 PM »

Dave Van Ronk

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 01:34:41 AM »

Who sang Bimbo? Oh yeah, Jim Reeves. Then there's Hank Williams. Jimmie Rodgers. Elvis. Then some new comers from England came along.
   There's something we have in common. (maybe not Pelvis)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: