$5.41 slot head

Started by Danny, November 30, 2009, 08:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yup. That's what I paid for my latest 12 fret gittaur :tongue:  You see the pawn shop owner knows me now and he plops this guitar on the counter with a broken slot head and says. "You can fix it , I know you can. C'mon buy it"

I tell him "No thanks slot heads are not really repairable, especially cheap ones."  He say's "How about $5?" I said "Well OK, but the tuners don't even match"
              So he rings it up and takes my Ten $ and gives me back $4.59. I said "John, you cheated me, you charged me tax." he said "Yea, I did it while you were looking at the guitar"

Live and learn,eh :blush:

If you plain off some on both side's of the headstock and replace it with the new overlay it should hold up.You need to remove about an 1/8" on each side.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on November 30, 2009, 09:04:30 PM
If you plain off some on both side's of the headstock and replace it with the new overlay it should hold up.You need to remove about an 1/8" on each side.
Thanks Rob, I was thinking of doing that. I also have another slothead neck on a bad body that I may make a scarf joint on and join it that way. It's a 3/4 size so I'll give it to one of my younger grandsons.  I think he will love it.

Quote from: GA-ME on December 01, 2009, 12:13:32 PM
Where are the pics?
Well, I guess I could put some up. Trying to earn a living at the moment , so maybe later today.

Yea, how badly can we tell you got cheated if we can't see the pics of this "deal"???

:humour:
Larrivee 000-60
Martin 000-28 VS
Guild Mark II
Alvarez Yairi CY 127 CE
Alvarez Yairi CY 140 CE
Two cats who like my playing

A few pics.

[attachment deleted by admin]

There seems to be enough wood at good angle's to just glue it back together and if you wanted to you could just vineer a cover piece on each side.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on December 02, 2009, 11:32:25 AM
There seems to be enough wood at good angle's to just glue it back together and if you wanted to you could just vineer a cover piece on each side.
Do I use hot hide glue or aliphatic resin glue?  And should I bother removing splinters or just glue and clamp it?

I'd use simple yellow wood glue.Yes clean up any splinters that are hangin out.All others can be compressed back together with glue in all spots.Dampen the wood first with water.Aply wood glue{lots}.Let it squeeze out,wipe away the excess.Leave clamped for 3 days.After cleanup you may or maynot want to add some wood dust mixed with wood glue or use a good quality wood putty.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: unclrob on December 02, 2009, 09:36:19 PM
I'd use simple yellow wood glue.Yes clean up any splinters that are hangin out.All others can be compressed back together with glue in all spots.Dampen the wood first with water.Aply wood glue{lots}.Let it squeeze out,wipe away the excess.Leave clamped for 3 days.After cleanup you may or maynot want to add some wood dust mixed with wood glue or use a good quality wood putty.
Thanks Rob. So yellow wood glue just means original "Titebond"? (Right)
      After three days of clamping I guess it would be fine to sand and level it for an overlay on top and bottom.

:thumb yep.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks