Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for a good beginners guitar for my wife..  (Read 2116 times)
fongie
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 10:23:02 PM »

"looking for a good beginners guitar for my wife"..................

sounds like a reasonable trade if the wife is in good condition   whistling

T

LOL  +1
cheers
fongie
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 11:26:11 PM »

You could get used to it ?
I thought this guitar would be for your wife ?
I suggest
- if she has no experience, show her a simple chord like "C"
    then let HER feel the difference between a 1 11/16 and something wider like the 1 3/4 that is becoming popular.
    She may immediately have a preference. I started with 1 11/16 ,...it would have been easier for me on something wider.

- also, I would let her compare a steel string to a nylon  string - she may have a definite preference,
   think about what it will be like for her when she first encounters the 'F' chord !  - nylon would be easier
   or the first time she tries a bar chord. She could always switch to steel after some experience.

- Larry

Larry,  you misunderstood who posted the above quote.  It was not from the OP, it was from me, Cathi.  I was just giving him some of my thoughts.
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 12:04:48 AM »

oh, thanks for the help cathi, I was having a senior moment..... bigrin

maybe some of the advice can be salvaged.

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
gary0319

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 02:03:58 AM »

I bought is one for myself ($200) but thought it might be good for my wife as well. Nice compact 25" scale, small body with great sound for little dough.

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=26946.msg247325#new

Gary

Taylor Custom GC all mahogany
Tayor 812c (1997)
Taylor 612c (1994)
Yamaha FG730S
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Samick Greg Bennett OM-08CE
djsonovox

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 08:40:37 AM »

Interesting point: my lady bought a Goodall, and I'm the one who plays it, because she can't get used to the wide neck! My gain, heh heh.

About Potomac: I hear they're made in the Regal factory. Yes, Eastman's the parent company for these. I'd never heard of them till today when I walked in a music store that mostly carries trade-ins ad budget prices. They had a new Potomac, a PVD-18. It looked pretty good; nice gloss, binding varnished over lending a yellowed aged effect, very smooth to the touch as it met the fretboard... well!
I picked it up and strummed it.
I'm a goner. I had to have one. Now these are lam back and sides, but who cares? For 40 more bucks yo can get the all-solid model.

For the same price as in the store ($279) I found one, new with warranty) online, without the buckle rash the store one had, with a free case and free shipping! Awesome. It'll come to me in a week or so...
But hey, I have a Seagull S6 with electret mic/pre=amp installed, cedar top with cutaway your wife may like. I'm asking 260 and $20 for the black heavy-duty gigbag... shipping to be determined. If you want to see photos, it's on SF Area's Craig's list. A fine guitar - but I just have too many in the studio. When a new one comes in an old one has to leave!

Doug Jones
Mountain View, CA

Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele
Lanakai Bari Uke
markyboy

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 03:02:56 PM »

Thanks for the input everyone. We ended up getting an A & L Ami from Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz (great place), since I was jonesing for a travel guitar (Happy Fathers day?) We check out the Ami, and she really liked it. She's learned the D A G chords and now we have a family band.. Cool!

2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!
markyboy

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 08:58:26 PM »

So she's been playing now for about 4 months and is getting pretty good. The A&L Ami is a fun little guitar, but it's limited. You can't really rock out with it, which is kind of my wife's style. So eventually I told here we'd get her a new guitar. Which brings me to a discover we made last night. We were in local guitar shop buying an Xmas gift, and there was a Larrivee OM-3r in the consignment shop. I have never seen a played one before. I must say.. I was extremely tempted. Very sweet guitar. Anyway my wife said she wasn't ready yet, which is the smart move right now. But man that is one nice comfortable guitar.. Now I know what all the fuss is.

PS.. I probably should have started a new thread

2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 02:46:19 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks nylons are harder to play than steel strings?  Easier to fret yes, but more abrasive on the right hand.
If she has problems fretting a steel string you can switch to martin Silk & Steels.

Anyway, I was going to say put another check mark in the "Seagull S6 Folk" column.  For her, it's probably about optimum. (despite your ulterior motives)
But the Ami is a nice little box as well.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
NotRevGDavis

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2009, 04:54:48 PM »

Thanks for the input everyone. We ended up getting an A & L Ami from Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz (great place), since I was jonesing for a travel guitar (Happy Fathers day?) We check out the Ami, and she really liked it. She's learned the D A G chords and now we have a family band.. Cool!

Hey MB,
Quick question- is Sylvan on Hwy 1 on the northside by UCSC? The only guitar shop I have been to is the one near Streetlight Records and I just realized it isn't Sylvan.
Thanks,
Gary

The Dude abides.

markyboy

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 08:31:03 PM »

Yes. Its on Mission st at Bay. Lot's of Larrivees

2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print