Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Long term impressions on CA OX, X, or GX Guitars?  (Read 1288 times)
01strat

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2009, 06:31:37 AM »

I noticed that quite a few people in previous posts have purchased the GX, X, and OX guitars.  Now that all three models are available in RAW finish and quite affordable, I'm looking more serious at purchasing one for outside jams and concerts since I like my L05 too much to get damaged by the elements outside, especially in the winter.

Are you still satisfied with your CA guitar purchase?  Did you have any problems deciding on the OX vs X vs GX models?  In the past, price was a big issue between models, but now all three models are within $200 of each other when in RAW finish with electronics.  The choice is a lot harder now since price is not as large a factor as in the past.  

I like the comfort/size of the OX RAW but like the warmer, woodier tone of the GX a bit more.  I think the GX is the model out of these three most similar in size, tone, and playability to the L05.  But I really like the modern tone of the OX RAW as well.  The tone reminds me a lot of a Larrivee.  It's tough to decide.

Any comments on your CA guitar much appreciated!
kindredspirit

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 04:05:44 PM »

Take a look.

http://carbonguitar.com/smf/index.php?topic=1425.0
01strat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 02:56:17 AM »

Thank you Kindred Spirit.  Great post!  I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the GX vs OX as very few people have the opportunity to do a thorough comparison at home.
dkoloff

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 10:50:14 PM »

I have the OX in the high gloss and really am enjoying it. A very well balanced guitar with very nice tones......it may not project as much as the GX but I think has cleaner sound at least for me. Defintely check out www.carbonguitar.com there are some really nice player reviews of each of the guitars. 

Taylor Custom GA
Taylor 424ce SL
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Rainsong OM
Composite Acoustics OX Raw ( Peavey)
Composite Acoustics OX Gloss
Voyage Air VAOM-1C
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Simon and Patrick Woodland Pro
01strat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 09:04:10 PM »

I have the OX in the high gloss and really am enjoying it. A very well balanced guitar with very nice tones......it may not project as much as the GX but I think has cleaner sound at least for me. Defintely check out www.carbonguitar.com there are some really nice player reviews of each of the guitars. 

Hi dkoloff.  How do you like the OX compared to your Taylor GC4 in terms of build quality, tone, and playability?
petevee

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 12:08:29 AM »

I have had my ox RAW since summer and I'm very happy with it. I was looking for something as durable as my Rainsong OM1000 but less expensive so I can leave it on my boat, but I got much more than I bargained for. The OX has a wonderful rich tone with much more personality than my Rainsong, and the RAW finish really frees me from having to worry about scratching it.

If price is why you are buying the RAW than do yourself a favor and get a price from www.laguitarsales.com. They sold a friend of mine a Legacy RT for what McNichols sells the RAW for. (FYI McNichols owns the carbon forum so you will not hear about other dealers or deals there)

I'm considering my first dreadnought and the CA Legacy is by far the most comfortable that I have tried so I may be adding one to my stable soon. Although there is only $100 difference between the RAW and the RT, I'm actually digging the look of the RAW Legacy so I my add that to my OX RAW and Cargo RAW.. bigrin
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 05:15:23 PM »

I bought a CA GX Performer a little over two years ago. I still like this guitar very much. I bought it so that I could leave my nice wooden guitars inside all winter, but i ended up playing this guitar pretty much year-round. It's a very comfortable and easy guitar to play. And of all my guitars, it gets the most compliments for tone when I plug in and play out.
I just re-strung it this morning, and I'm taking it out to a gig in about an hour. It's about 15ºF here in Michigan today.
petevee

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 09:12:54 PM »

Is the GX performer the same as what they now call GX RT? There is an old stock GX Player in high gloss red at a dealer that is making me really horny for another CA..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: