Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Indian Rosewood And Cocobolo  (Read 912 times)
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2004, 02:12:35 AM »

Has anyone here ever had a chance to compare guitars made with these tonewoods.  My understanding is cocobolo has a crisper, more brilliant tone in the mid and upper registers than Indian or brazillian rosewood.  I also heard that perhaps cocobolo is more prone to cracking compared to Indian rosewood.  Any comments welcome. thanks B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
orsino
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 03:02:12 AM »

Has anyone here ever had a chance to compare guitars made with these tonewoods.  My understanding is cocobolo has a crisper, more brilliant tone in the mid and upper registers than Indian or brazillian rosewood.  I also heard that perhaps cocobolo is more prone to cracking compared to Indian rosewood.  Any comments welcome. thanks B)
I have. In the hands of a good luthier I don't think you need to worry about cracking.
I would concur with your tone comments.

poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 04:35:18 AM »

Thanks Tom, i think i would prefer the tonal qualities of cocobolo over I rosewood but cocobolo costs quite a bit more.  i'm considering a Goodall 000 with a solid headstock.  i would prefer the slothead but for what ever reason, James Goodall doesn't want to use a truss rod which can be adjusted through the sound hole like Larrivees and many others.  Instead he opts for just a solid steel rod  in the neck for the 000 slotheads but uses an adjustable (at the headstock) truss rod for the solid head model.

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: