Started by Danny, November 22, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thank you :D

my friend came by and he wanted to try Forum IV guitar.  :tongue:

:cheers
Peter

Your friend is not bothered by the lack of a cutaway!    :laughin:
Play it daily for best results.

Last Thursday I noticed that the F-IV was sounding more open than before.  I played it a lot over the weekend before posting here that this guitar, already open sounding when I got it, has opened up a lot more!  There's just something about the sound that is really, really nice.  My F-III IS/RW, even after a week on the Tonerite, sounds stiff and tight by comparison.

I told my wife that if the house were on fire and I could only carry out one guitar it would be the 00-03MT.  She asked which one she should carry out.  What a great woman!   :roll

Quote from: prof_stack on May 25, 2010, 12:25:46 AM

I told my wife that if the house were on fire and I could only carry out one guitar it would be the 00-03MT.  She asked which one she should carry out.  What a great woman!   :roll

She have a sister :?  :roll
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I got my FIII back from my luthier last week.  I was very happy to get it back but the FIV would hve been fine compnay had I had to wait longer.  For me, they can't compare to each other.  The FIII has that classic spruce/mahogany sound that is full and warm.  Great stuff.  The FIV is just so lively and vibrant...I can't choose!

They both rock.

Quote from: dependan on May 25, 2010, 07:35:31 AM
... "Full and warm" is right on re: the F-III MH/IS. And frankly my F-III was built better.
Speaking of build quality, my situation is reversed from yours.  The F-III nut was cut incorrectly and even with new nut it still has problems with the B string. 

My F-III is IS/IRW.  That is part of the equation.  Rosewood is a different animal than mahogany.

The F-III has a stiff top as well.  Now I know why Jim Holler said we should "play the snot out of it" when he started delivering the F-III's.  He knew how stiff Italian spruce really is.  And now I know why Jean Larrivee prefers sitka on top.  Smooth from the get-go.  Funny how long it takes some people (me) to figure things out.

Denis' description of the F-IV as "lively" really underscores how much these little boxes move the sound.

Speaking of built quality, I found that the neck of Forum IV has also some strange "quality".

Do your Forum IV guitar have the same "quality"???

cheers,
Peter

Quote from: pehabe on May 26, 2010, 04:33:42 AM
Speaking of built quality, I found that the neck of Forum IV has also some strange "quality".

cheers, Peter

Auch du Lieber!  Now THAT is not correct.  Larrivee should have never let that one leave the factory. 

My knee-jerk reaction is to contact Larrivee with the photo and let them arrange for a pickup and repair (or rebuild).  If Brian L is watching this thread, he will likely contact you.

Mine has a very slight bit of raggedness there, but nothing that makes me want to return it.  Yours is a whole different matter!

Quote from: pehabe on May 26, 2010, 04:33:42 AM

cheers,
Peter
That looks like poor quality alright. :blush:

You need to turn down the resolution on your camera.  Does it look that bad when you eyeball it?
I think you are just too good of a photographer.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

@prof, I have emailed Larrivee customer service with the photo.  Lets see what action will they make.

@danny: can I take your comment as guitar expert seriously? or is it just a joke?  :?

Question to all member who has Forum IV: does this happen to yours also?

@Roger: :)   It is already had lowest resolution.

waiting for your input,

Peter

Quote from: prof_stack on May 26, 2010, 08:49:06 AM
Mine has a very slight bit of raggedness there, but nothing that makes me want to return it.  Yours is a whole different matter!

Like the prof, I found one very small "nick" in the neck (for lack of a better description) on one side; it doesn't bother me - yours is a different story for sure.

Looks like someone was using a very dull blade or dremel tool when they were cutting these out, and yours was the last one in line before they changed the blade.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

WOW......I'm totally flabbergasted with that joint.   I'm sure that just slipped through QA and a call to customer service will set things moving.

Quote from: pehabe on May 26, 2010, 10:35:54 AM
@prof, I have emailed Larrivee customer service with the photo.  Lets see what action will they make.

@danny: can I take your comment as guitar expert seriously? or is it just a joke?  :?

Question to all member who has Forum IV: does this happen to yours also?

@Roger: :)   It is already had lowest resolution.

waiting for your input,

Peter
It looks BAD.

Had a similar, but worse, joint on my OM-05 right out of the box. Big gap in the heel cap area, plus your look. Called Larrivee (when you could), spoke to Wendy, was issued an RA within 1-2 weeks. Sent it back & even got a bone nut thrown in. Had asked Wendy as a joke if she'd do this.
   No, this is not right or how mine or others look like, as far as I know? Can't speak for others? Mine is perfect, no gaps or raggedy joint. Send the pic with an email. Think they'll get on it right away. Like most guitars, some things just slip past final inspection, even when it's really obvious. Shouldn't happen, but there are people that do this job, so some error will be involved? Good luck!
   Sorry about the pic quality. Just cropped 2 I had & attached here. No gap.

[attachment deleted by admin]
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

:angry:  ärgerlich!!!

It is a really disappointing situation here.

The transport from USA to Germany took already 1 month.
I am surprise when Jim installed the bone nut, bone saddle, LR Braggs and Collosi pins did not see this.

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Quote from: pehabe on May 26, 2010, 12:29:39 PM
I am surprise when Jim installed the bone nut, bone saddle, LR Braggs and Collosi pins did not see this.

Whoever did the work surely noticed it and let it go just like Larrivee QC did.

Unfortunately... otherwise I could spare this transport back and forth USA - Germany.

Quote from: pehabe on May 26, 2010, 01:36:26 PM
Unfortunately... otherwise I could spare this transport back and forth USA - Germany.

It sucks, surely. However, you probably have a good shot at getting it resolved satisfactorily.