Pages: 1 ... 88 [89] 90 ... 96   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars  (Read 335405 times)
photomat

Ignore
« Reply #1760 on: May 08, 2010, 07:07:08 AM »

Congrats Prof...

Looks great.  Can't wait to hear it!  That is one great looking guitar!

FIII M/IS
L-80 Presentation 12-String
PCT57

Ignore
« Reply #1761 on: May 08, 2010, 09:01:33 AM »

nice guitar     Another stunner Prof - this thread is the first I look for at the moment - great stuff and I am really envious of you guys 

lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1762 on: May 08, 2010, 01:29:50 PM »

Beautiful guitars everyone.

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1763 on: May 08, 2010, 01:32:59 PM »

Played mine again for an hour or so last night.  I'll spend some time recording with it today.  Lovely sound, very lively and warm.   Just great for fingerstyle especially.  I think it'll strum better in a few months after it's settled a bit. 

jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #1764 on: May 08, 2010, 05:53:29 PM »

Leveled three high frets and lowered the saddle. Put on my favorite strings and my fingers don't hurt as much now.

Likewise, but more on the treble end, but I don't dare touch the frets. Took a bit of relief out of the neck as well so it plays really comfortably without the strings buzzing. Next step is to drop the slots in the nut a fraction or so. Thank god everything I'm doing is reversible since I can't stop myself from tweaking at it.   

Oh, and your favorite strings are?

Larrivee OO-05
Larrivee OOV-03 MT SB
Taylor 322ce
Recording King ROS-16
Various Strats

Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1765 on: May 08, 2010, 06:00:06 PM »

Likewise, but more on the treble end, but I don't dare touch the frets. Took a bit of relief out of the neck as well so it plays really comfortably without the strings buzzing. Next step is to drop the slots in the nut a fraction or so. Thank god everything I'm doing is reversible since I can't stop myself from tweaking at it.   

Oh, and your favorite strings are?
  Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Bronze CL's (12-54)

I may replace the nut and saddle with bone today that I'll make from blanks. I'd like to spread the spacing slightly and see if I can get a 64th lower @ the 12th fret without clanging on upper frets. I did this with the F-III and my OM-21 but this one seems a bit trickier.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1766 on: May 08, 2010, 11:48:53 PM »

Okay, 24 hours are up.  Here are my initial thoughts about the 00-03MT #27:

Good -
Beautiful woods, nicely put together.
Grover tuners, oh yeah.
Good nut and saddle job by Jim.
Resonance.  This little box vibrates!
Who needs a Tonerite?  This guitar doesn't.

Bad -
Bridge pins are not all flush with the bridge.
My hand hurts from playing it so much.
I'm seriously thinking of selling the F-III.

-----------------------------------------------------

I think Jean Larrivee made this model for me.  I primarily use a plastic thumbpick and two metal fingerpicks.  This F-IV is perfect for that.  The notes blend together so smoothly I don't want to put the guitar down.

When I used the flatpick, it doesn't sound as good to me.

There is such a sweetness to the sound.  It reminds me of the SC 1929 I played last month, but in a smaller package.  I used to say that small guitars sounded "boxy" as in a perjorative.  This guitar has a bit of boxy-ness to it, but it's part of the charm.

There is a strong fundamental on the open D string. 

Jim put EJ-17 (medium) strings on it and it suits the guitar and my style fine. 

People have said they are looking forward to when it opens up.  I'm surprised to find that for me it is already open, and more playing will only make things better.

Overall I am astonished to see what I've written here.  This is my 5th Larrivee (JV-05E, L-05MT, L-03MT, SD-50, LS-03R) and I believe this one will be a long time companion.  I'm with Denis on this.

It's that good. 

(Yes, the honeymoon continues.  More later.)

Play it daily for best results.
Frank_S

Ignore
« Reply #1767 on: May 09, 2010, 12:04:55 AM »

Okay, 24 hours are up.  Here are my initial thoughts about the 00-03MT #27:

Good -
Beautiful woods, nicely put together.
Grover tuners, oh yeah.
Good nut and saddle job by Jim.
Resonance.  This little box vibrates!
Who needs a Tonerite?  This guitar doesn't.

Bad -
Bridge pins are not all flush with the bridge.
My hand hurts from playing it so much.
I'm seriously thinking of selling the F-III.

-----------------------------------------------------

I think Jean Larrivee made this model for me.  I primarily use a plastic thumbpick and two metal fingerpicks.  This F-IV is perfect for that.  The notes blend together so smoothly I don't want to put the guitar down.

When I used the flatpick, it doesn't sound as good to me.

There is such a sweetness to the sound.  It reminds me of the SC 1929 I played last month, but in a smaller package.  I used to say that small guitars sounded "boxy" as in a perjorative.  This guitar has a bit of boxy-ness to it, but it's part of the charm.

There is a strong fundamental on the open D string. 

Jim put EJ-17 (medium) strings on it and it suits the guitar and my style fine. 

People have said they are looking forward to when it opens up.  I'm surprised to find that for me it is already open, and more playing will only make things better.

Overall I am astonished to see what I've written here.  This is my 5th Larrivee (JV-05E, L-05MT, L-03MT, SD-50, LS-03R) and I believe this one will be a long time companion.  I'm with Denis on this.

It's that good. 

(Yes, the honeymoon continues.  More later.)

I couldn't agree more with your assessment. I've been enjoying playing open D tuning and I also notice how sweet the open D string rings out.
I also find it excels in fingerstyle playing which is pretty obvious, given its compact size and it only sounds a little boxy when strumming, which I really
didn't buy the guitar for anyway.  bigrin

All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Larrivée 00-03MT Forum IV-#7
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #1768 on: May 09, 2010, 01:28:24 AM »

Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Bronze CL's (12-54)

I may replace the nut and saddle with bone today that I'll make from blanks. I'd like to spread the spacing slightly and see if I can get a 64th lower @ the 12th fret without clanging on upper frets. I did this with the F-III and my OM-21 but this one seems a bit trickier.

Duly noted, thanks, that'll go on the list to try after I wear out the Elixars I try next. (I liked them a lot on my mahogony Taylor. . .)

That's interesting with the string spacing expansion. My LSV has spoiled me a bit for width, so it'd be cool if that could work. Let us know how that works out.

Oh, BTW, we haven't had a post on tuners in, what, days?  so I was thinking if it was possible to bling up the existing tuners with ivory buttons? Anybody know if they're easily replaced?

I did a little research off StewMac, so would any of these work?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Larrivee OO-05
Larrivee OOV-03 MT SB
Taylor 322ce
Recording King ROS-16
Various Strats

Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1769 on: May 09, 2010, 01:37:39 AM »

I don't think any of those would work. They need to be the right size for the shaft and need a screw hole.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1770 on: May 09, 2010, 07:22:08 PM »

At this year's Wintergrass bluegrass festival near Seattle I got to play some of the new Martin 0 and 00 guitars.  I really liked the sweet balanced sound they made.  This morning the F-IV reminded me of that, how a small box guitar can have a very balanced and lovely sound.

I chuckle when people say the F-IV is a cannon (some must be photographers, they say "Canon"  ).  It is NOT a cannon.  The SD-50 is a cannon.  The D-18GE is a bigger cannon still. 

What the F-IV has going for it is the incredible resonance, especially for a new guitar.  Fretted strings up the fingerboard are strong and clear.  I am amazed, given the size of the 00. 

cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1771 on: May 09, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »

At this year's Wintergrass bluegrass festival near Seattle I got to play some of the new Martin 0 and 00 guitars.  I really liked the sweet balanced sound they made.  This morning the F-IV reminded me of that, how a small box guitar can have a very balanced and lovely sound.

I chuckle when people say the F-IV is a cannon (some must be photographers, they say "Canon"  ).  It is NOT a cannon.  The SD-50 is a cannon.  The D-18GE is a bigger cannon still. 

What the F-IV has going for it is the incredible resonance, especially for a new guitar.  Fretted strings up the fingerboard are strong and clear.  I am amazed, given the size of the 00. 
Thanks  +1

Loud doesn't make a guitar good.  Tone, resonance , responsiveness, tone, action, tone... these things ( and the rest of the good stuff) these  (and all Larrivee's)  have in abundance. 

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1772 on: May 09, 2010, 10:17:37 PM »

And the cannon reference is used for a guitar this size. Yes, we all know the SD-50 is a cannon, but alot bigger & a different beast. Had one & felt it was a guitar that could hold it's own against any slope-shouldered dread made.
   John Jr. was the first to use that expression about the first test one. Compared to other OO or even OOO guitars, this is a cannon. Tell him it's not? whistling
   For it's size! bigrin

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1773 on: May 10, 2010, 12:03:14 AM »

A smaller Cannon     

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1774 on: May 10, 2010, 12:17:50 AM »

And the cannon reference is used for a guitar this size. Yes, we all know the SD-50 is a cannon, but alot bigger & a different beast. Had one & felt it was a guitar that could hold it's own against any slope-shouldered dread made.
   John Jr. was the first to use that expression about the first test one. Compared to other OO or even OOO guitars, this is a cannon. Tell him it's not? whistling
   For it's size! bigrin
Yah ok buddy . Actually I tried it strumming with a pick, and I could hardly sing over it. So yah, can play loud, in tune, in tone, indeed!!

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1775 on: May 10, 2010, 12:37:54 AM »

I want to say something positive here, so I hope it's taken that way. It is hard to define the sound and exact nature of different guitars and to evaluate one with words alone is very difficult indeed.
   Having owned a very responsive 00 prior to this one I did expect the F-IV to be nice, but I believe it is a bit more responsive and louder than even my 00-09FM which was really loud and of course very crisp as well.
   Considering it's size and that it has a mahogany top I am actually amazed that it can put out such a large sound. Of course it is more limited in depth of tone than a dread or even a 000. But the bass is very adequate for my playing and the depth of tone is much more than I expected. I had a very good player over last week and he played for about an hour. My wife and I were both very pleased with the sweet sounds he could bring out of such a small instrument.
    Being on the listening end made me appreciate the F-IV all the more. I have cased up my other guitars and just play this one for now. The only negatives I have seen are a few cosmetic flaws and the need for a major setup.

OK, I think I kept it positive          "boom!"

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1776 on: May 10, 2010, 04:22:28 AM »

I want to say something positive here, so I hope it's taken that way. It is hard to define the sound and exact nature of different guitars and to evaluate one with words alone is very difficult indeed.
Having owned a very responsive 00 prior to this one I did expect the F-IV to be nice, but I believe it is a bit more responsive and louder than even my 00-09FM which was really loud and of course very crisp as well.
Considering it's size and that it has a mahogany top I am actually amazed that it can put out such a large sound. Of course it is more limited in depth of tone than a dread or even a 000. But the bass is very adequate for my playing and the depth of tone is much more than I expected. I had a very good player over last week and he played for about an hour. My wife and I were both very pleased with the sweet sounds he could bring out of such a small instrument.
Being on the listening end made me appreciate the F-IV all the more. I have cased up my other guitars and just play this one for now. The only negatives I have seen are a few cosmetic flaws and the need for a major setup.
OK, I think I kept it positive.
Danny, it sounds like your F-IV came like my F-III.  My LS needed a new nut and still could use a setup.  But the F-IV as delivered is wonderful.

You got it right with the depth of tone comment.  The sound is so pleasing I continue to marvel at how well Larrivee got it right with this one.

BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1777 on: May 10, 2010, 06:12:45 PM »

I agree with Dan, the only difference being that Jim set mine up perfect, getting a bone nut also. Sound descriptions are always subjective, but mine was just great right out of the case, IMO. My F-III had a few issues that were taken care of. I haven't found anything cosmetically wrong on the F-IV or the F-III.
   Find me a guitar that sounds as good as mine for under $3,000, or better yet, for what we paid. Haven't played a "1929" before, but the only one I can think of that might compete. Talking non-Larrivees here. nice guitar

prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1778 on: May 10, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »

I agree with Dan, the only difference being that Jim set mine up perfect, getting a bone nut also. Sound descriptions are always subjective, but mine was just great right out of the case, IMO. My F-III had a few issues that were taken care of. I haven't found anything cosmetically wrong on the F-IV or the F-III.
   Find me a guitar that sounds as good as mine for under $3,000, or better yet, for what we paid. Haven't played a "1929" before, but the only one I can think of that might compete. Talking non-Larrivees here. nice guitar

I was referring to the Santa Cruz 1929 all-hog beauty I played last month.  That one is in the 3k range of price.  Very, very nice.

BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1779 on: May 10, 2010, 10:47:01 PM »

Now I know. Lots more, "2nd Generation Santa Cruz Tuners", different bracing, etc.. They are supposed to be great guitars from reviews I've read. We all know what a wonderful guitar we got. Unlike the F-III, don't have 78+ people posting about them. Some, before most got thiers, making many drool! drool

Pages: 1 ... 88 [89] 90 ... 96   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: