F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars

Started by Danny, November 22, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Another tuner question... the Gotoh Mini 510s should be a drop-in fit except for the different screw position, right? Just want to verify before I do anything silly.  :arrow

Quote from: Frederico on April 29, 2010, 09:16:20 AM
Just to report my findings on my F-IV’s tone after a few days of play.

I agree with all others’ comments that this one is a keeper.  Its tone is dry, woody, crisp and clear.  Note separation and projection are excellent.  Very long sustain and I can feel the whole body resonates against my belly.  A big surprise is it handles strumming very well. I won’t hesitate to bring it along to play praise music at church.   Mids and highs are screaming sweet and loud (loud being in terms of volume and depth).

The bass is good but still lacks weight and authority.   Considering its small 00 body size, we all expected it would not score high marks in this category.  So that’s ok.  However, I found the low E is significantly lower in volume than A string.  Do other owners feel the same? Any way to get around it?

I've used mine to lead some men's worship (a Sunday night men's group of around 40-50 men), and I'm running the installed Active iBean through my Boss EQ20 (10 band eq) and the PA; sounds very good (both strummed and fingerpicked), and I can ease off the louder A string and bring up a little more low E string. But I agree with your assessment on that.

I'm currently back to mediums on mine; seems to help the low E, and I wouldn't mind putting a 58 on there to give it a little more power and volume. I suspect over time it will open up some more in the low end.

After seeing a demo on YouTube by Bob, I really like the Grover Sta-tite tuners.  I didn’t choose this option because I did not like holes and the uncovered marks on the peghead.  But the one shown on the video is so nice. It complements the vintage look very well.  Damn, I missed it.  Is it easy to install myself (I’m total handicapped in terms of woodwork)?

If you don't normally work much with tools (drills, etc.) I'd let a competent tech (or friend) do it.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: jpmist on April 29, 2010, 09:50:12 AM
Yeah, I agree with you about the bass notes. They are a bit timid. I thought with the bridge dropped down in the middle of the body that wouldn't happen. I don't mind it, though, I like the balance, it suits how I like to play.

@prof_stack  GOTM? fingers crossed :winkin:

My F-IV will arrive next week, after the Grovers are installed by Jim.  I'm not worried about a weaker low E string.  Lots of playing (or Tonerite) will shake it loose.  A thumb pick will work, I imagine.  Heh, if I want BASS, I pull out the D-18GE. :humour:
Play it daily for best results.

Just to report my findings on my F-IV's tone after a few days of play.

I agree with all others' comments that this one is a keeper.  Its tone is dry, woody, crisp and clear.  Note separation and projection are excellent.  Very long sustain and I can feel the whole body resonates against my belly.  A big surprise is it handles strumming very well. I won't hesitate to bring it along to play praise music at church.  Mids and highs are screaming sweet and loud (loud being in terms of volume and depth).

The bass is good but still lacks weight and authority.  Considering its small 00 body size, we all expected it would not score high marks in this category.  So that's ok.  However, I found the low E is significantly lower in volume than A string.  Do other owners feel the same? Any way to get around it?

After seeing a demo on YouTube by Bob, I really like the Grover Sta-tite tuners.  I didn't choose this option because I did not like holes and the uncovered marks on the peghead.  But the one shown on the video is so nice. It complements the vintage look very well.  Damn, I missed it.  Is it easy to install myself (I'm total handicapped in terms of woodwork)?

PLAY it. A lot. For many hours. That should get the top moving better.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: jpmist on April 29, 2010, 09:50:12 AM
Yeah, I agree with you about the bass notes. They are a bit timid. I thought with the bridge dropped down in the middle of the body that wouldn't happen. I don't mind it, though, I like the balance, it suits how I like to play.

@prof_stack  GOTM? fingers crossed :winkin:

:donut :coffee :donut2

Well,they are new thouigh. Bet that bass will a bit more robust in 2-3 months.

Uh-oh :wacko: This may be a record.  I just broke the high E string after owning the F-IV for less than 1 week (only played it not more than 4 days of less than 2 hrs each)

I have some D'Addario EXP17 and EXP19 sitting around.  But do you have any experience in using other types that sound better than the factory supplied strings?
Larrivee Forum IV
Martin OOO-28VS
Martin D-18GE Sunburst

:roll :roll :roll :roll  String thread alert!

Few players can resist commenting on the search for the holy grail of strings. Mine for the time being are DR Sunbeams followed closely by Curt Managan's.
08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Quote from: Frederico on April 29, 2010, 10:32:26 PM
Uh-oh :wacko: This may be a record.  I just broke the high E string after owning the F-IV for less than 1 week (only played it not more than 4 days of less than 2 hrs each)

I have some D'Addario EXP17 and EXP19 sitting around.  But do you have any experience in using other types that sound better than the factory supplied strings?
Just put a .012 or .013 steel string on and it will be fine. I buy 10 at a time so they last for a year or so.

Just to report my findings on my F-IV's tone after a few days of play.
After seeing a demo on YouTube by Bob, I really like the Grover Sta-tite tuners.  I didn't choose this option because I did not like holes and the uncovered marks on the peghead.  But the one shown on the video is so nice. It complements the vintage look very well.  Damn, I missed it.  Is it easy to install myself (I'm total handicapped in terms of woodwork)?
There are no uncovered marks on the peghead.

Quote from: Queequeg on April 30, 2010, 09:29:26 AM
There are no uncovered marks on the peghead.

Yes yes, they look gorgeous. I was confused myself when I first looked at the pictures on Trinity's site and decided against it.  But I am wrong.  No marks on peghead and the holes are covered.  Perfect!  My regrets of not having them installed by Jim.  :crying:
Larrivee Forum IV
Martin OOO-28VS
Martin D-18GE Sunburst

Quote from: Frederico on April 30, 2010, 10:38:07 AM
Yes yes, they look gorgeous. I was confused myself when I first looked at the pictures on Trinity's site and decided against it.  But I am wrong.  No marks on peghead and the holes are covered.  Perfect!  My regrets of not having them installed by Jim.  :crying:

Well, the initial picture on Trinity's site did show visible rings on the front of the headstock (photo 2 of Option 11).  That's the main reason that I decided against the Sta-tites.
The later pictures, with the final hardware configuration, don't show any marks.

Gordon
Montreal
Larrivee OM-03R SH, O-01, OO-03MT FIV
National Style O, National Polychrome Tricone
Gibson B25-12, Brunner OG Basic and a few others

I could be confused as it has happened before, but the pictures with the marks (Option 11 - Photo 2) is for
the Gotoh 510's - not the Grovers.  The Grovers look very nice!

:wave

Quote from: Frasier1 on April 30, 2010, 12:07:19 PM
I could be confused as it has happened before, but the pictures with the marks (Option 11 - Photo 2) is for
the Gotoh 510's - not the Grovers.  The Grovers look very nice!

The photo is in the section describing the Gotoh 510s, but it's actually a photo of the Grovers.  Look at the tuner button in photo 2 and compare to the one in photo 1.

Gordon
Montreal

Made the same mistake. Asked Kathy about the rings. She put me on hold, asked Jim, & was told that there would be a ring. Would have gotten them for sure had I known about the larger bushings. Looks so sweet, I want to cry too! :crying:
   Miss a post or pic that wasn't there a week before, miss out on nice tuners!!! :ohmy:
     Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

These Grover tuners are not very hard to install. But if someone is afraid of messing up a head stock or not good working with their hands I guess they better leave it alone.
    My Pings are working fine, the nut is grabbing a few strings and causing a slight frustration when tuning. But I'll change it out when I get more playing time in.
    I'm also ready to try my favorite strings on it. Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Bronze 12-54's.

I've never had a problem with Pings...mine stays in tune and that's really all that matters.  Plays like a dream...

Pings have worked fine for me too.  I'll eventually install Sta-tites on my guitar, but it will be purely for the look.

Gordon
Montreal

Quote from: Denis on May 01, 2010, 06:41:56 PM
I've never had a problem with Pings...mine stays in tune and that's really all that matters.  Plays like a dream...
I have been told by someone I really believe that the Ping problem was mostly or entirely with the ebonoid buttons. The tuners themselves work just fine, and with metal buttons are very reliable.

I changed to Gotoh brushed gold Deltas  on my L to make it more mine and b/c they were supposed to be the best. I like the look, but they didn't seem that different in use. Lot of money for cosmetics, eh? I am leaving my others stock.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

I find the Gotoh 510s to be much smoother feeling and nicer. I may put a set on mine. But that's not to say the stock tuners are unusable in any way. They work fine.

If money was no object, then I'd have some 510s on there tomorrow.  Nice tuners.

I finally brought my FIII to my luthier and I will have nothing to play but the FIV.  Woe is me...