F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars

Started by Danny, November 22, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Now that I've had the weekend to get to know my new guitar I have to say that right off the bat - I LOVE this guitar. I'll give you my first impressions, but keep in mind these comments come from a relative newbie. I've owned my OM-03 for about three years and the Forum IV is only my second guitar. I also changed the medium strings for Dean Markley PhosBronze TLT (11-52) which is a lighter guage than the custom lights I have on my OM. That said, here are my first thoughts:

The guitar really resonates - even in standard tuning. I'm not sure how unique this is for a brand new guitar to really resonate like this - and I'm not talking about just the sound board - it's the whole thing right up the neck! I've heard fans of 12 fretters talk about this but now I get it though I don't understand all the reasons why this works so well (should have paid more attention in back physics class). Obviously the body meets the neck at the 12 fret which is key, but the full scale on this guitar places the saddle at the widest part of the lower bout which I think also has something to do with it. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here - like I said I'm new at this and trying to figure out why this guitar sounds so great.

Next I was impressed with the volume on this little guitar. I was expecting something closer to a parlor sound, but no, this thing really projects. Others have used "canon" to describe this guitar and now I know why. It doesn't compare to a dread, but I think it projects more in the low-midrange than my OM which is suprising.

So it resonates and has good volume so what about the tone? Nice and mellow. I ordered this guitar as a bluesy fingerpicking guitar and this really fits the bill. When I say mellow, it sounds like the guitar is quietly humming to itself in the background. My OM has a clear ringing overtone and this one is more of a sweet hum. This is what I was hoping to get from the mahogany top ( I'm guessing this comes from the hog top?) Also nice that this quiet little hum doesn't interfere in any way with the clear intonation of each note. Very balanced sound from top to bottom. The only room for improvement I could find (and this is really searching because I'm thrilled with the sound as-is)  is that it could open up a bit more  low end, and I think it will over time. The low might be helped by trying bluegrass strings rather than the lights I have on now. I'll try that in a few weeks.

This one is definitely a keeper.  :thumbsup
Larrivee OM-03, lefty
Larrivee Forum IV #24, lefty (love it)

Quote from: BluesMan1 on April 25, 2010, 05:59:09 PM
   Denis, didn't mean to interrupt your compliments. Nice song. Checked out a couple with Alana also. Nice vocals too. What bad thing can one say about a person with so much talent? :+1:
     Jeff

Cheers Jeff...you weren't interrupting..   :nana_guitar

Quote from: archilady on April 25, 2010, 11:04:27 PM
Now that I've had the weekend to get to know my new guitar I have to say that right off the bat - I LOVE this guitar. I'll give you my first impressions, but keep in mind these comments come from a relative newbie. I've owned my OM-03 for about three years and the Forum IV is only my second guitar. I also changed the medium strings for Dean Markley PhosBronze TLT (11-52) which is a lighter guage than the custom lights I have on my OM. That said, here are my first thoughts:

The guitar really resonates - even in standard tuning. I'm not sure how unique this is for a brand new guitar to really resonate like this - and I'm not talking about just the sound board - it's the whole thing right up the neck! I've heard fans of 12 fretters talk about this but now I get it though I don't understand all the reasons why this works so well (should have paid more attention in back physics class). Obviously the body meets the neck at the 12 fret which is key, but the full scale on this guitar places the saddle at the widest part of the lower bout which I think also has something to do with it. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here - like I said I'm new at this and trying to figure out why this guitar sounds so great.

Next I was impressed with the volume on this little guitar. I was expecting something closer to a parlor sound, but no, this thing really projects. Others have used "canon" to describe this guitar and now I know why. It doesn't compare to a dread, but I think it projects more in the low-midrange than my OM which is suprising.

So it resonates and has good volume so what about the tone? Nice and mellow. I ordered this guitar as a bluesy fingerpicking guitar and this really fits the bill. When I say mellow, it sounds like the guitar is quietly humming to itself in the background. My OM has a clear ringing overtone and this one is more of a sweet hum. This is what I was hoping to get from the mahogany top ( I'm guessing this comes from the hog top?) Also nice that this quiet little hum doesn't interfere in any way with the clear intonation of each note. Very balanced sound from top to bottom. The only room for improvement I could find (and this is really searching because I'm thrilled with the sound as-is)  is that it could open up a bit more  low end, and I think it will over time. The low might be helped by trying bluegrass strings rather than the lights I have on now. I'll try that in a few weeks.

This one is definitely a keeper.  :thumbsup
Very well said. I think you described the sound well. Now I have to put on my Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Bronze CL's. I have heard they will stop making these because it costs more than they can sell them for to make them. I hope that isn't true. These Alchemy's are my favorite .
      I do have some D.M. PhosBronze ML's 12-54 as well but I'll try them later. Strings do add a touch of different spice to the tone.

Quote from: Denis on April 25, 2010, 12:32:53 PM
Just put up a new video with the FIV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1SSnX2AWbM

Love this guitar!
wOW Denis!! Triple threat: Great song, great playing, great sound!  Inspirational! I think this is the best SOUNDING recording you have on You Tube.  (How did you do it? Tech details)

:nice guitar:everybody.
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: cke on April 26, 2010, 01:48:47 PM
wOW Denis!! Triple threat: Great song, great playing, great sound!  Inspirational! I think this is the best SOUNDING recording you have on You Tube.  (How did you do it? Tech details)

:nice guitar:everybody.

thanks...

My grandfather passed last summer and his will finally went through probate.  The first half came in so I decided to spoil myself a bit.  I bought a brand new Macbook Pro, an Audio Technica AT2035 condenser mic and a Shure X2U xlr to usb adaptor.   The adapter is really cool.  It plugs right into the microphone and from there, it's firewire to the usb in on the Mac.  It will work with any mic with an XLR plug.  There's a button on it to supply any condenser mic with the 48v phantom power they require.  Open up iMovie, system preferences to set the input to the Shure adapter..sweet stuff...and EASY!!!!! 

Oh, and I used the FIV  :wink:  that is one sweet guitar.  Great sound and feel!

Quote from: Denis on April 26, 2010, 02:23:13 PM
thanks...

My grandfather passed last summer and his will finally went through probate.  The first half came in so I decided to spoil myself a bit.  I bought a brand new Macbook Pro, an Audio Technica AT2035 condenser mic and a Shure X2U xlr to usb adaptor.   The adapter is really cool.  It plugs right into the microphone and from there, it's firewire to the usb in on the Mac.  It will work with any mic with an XLR plug.  There's a button on it to supply any condenser mic with the 48v phantom power they require.  Open up iMovie, system preferences to set the input to the Shure adapter..sweet stuff...and EASY!!!!! 

Oh, and I used the FIV  :wink:  that is one sweet guitar.  Great sound and feel!

Thanks for that, I was about to ask. Sympathies about grand-dad, my stepdad passed a few months ago which funded my recent LSV-11, his pics in the case.

I had guessed you used the laptop for the video but wondered if you were running the audio straight thru or not. I've been using a Line 6 setup with all kinds of virtual amps. Too many choices I fear which makes for too many bad choices for me. Your Audio Technica mic sounds really good. Thanks for sharing your music and knowledge . . . :donut :donut2 :coffee
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Too impatient to hear back from Jim, so does anyone know what strings came on the F-IV?

Thanks!   :donut :donut2 :coffee
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Quote from: jpmist on April 26, 2010, 03:13:34 PM
Too impatient to hear back from Jim, so does anyone know what strings came on the F-IV?

Thanks!   :donut :donut2 :coffee
EXP'S

My FIV again. Can you see Buddy Guy and Junior Wells lurking in the background?  :ohmy:

[attachment deleted by admin]
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Larrivée 00-03MT Forum IV-#7
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

Quote from: dependan on April 26, 2010, 03:42:21 PM
  EXP'S

In case it matters...........Med EXP's I believe.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Wow it's here :nanadance

Firstly the look, it's much much darker than the one I took a picture with at factory.  I like it :nice guitar:

The tone, wow its sweet and woody.  It's warm, mellow but also very crisp and clear (less overtones than my Taylor 814ce cedar/EIRW combo).  Very different from a rosewood back/side. This is my first mahogany back/side guitar (of course also first mahogany top).  Now I'm convinced by the mahogany campers. But the surprise is: it's really LOUD :thumb

Another surprise is it handles strumming very well :tongue: Not just light and gentle but medium strumming as well.  I'll not hesitate to play it strummed at any time.

Too bad I have a paper cut on the tip of my ring finger and every time I pluck with that finger it hurts.  :yak:  But I don't care.  Sorry, have to play it again :guitar.  Will post pictures later  :wave
Larrivee Forum IV
Martin OOO-28VS
Martin D-18GE Sunburst

Quote from: Frederico on April 26, 2010, 08:30:48 PM

Too bad I have a paper cut on the tip of my ring finger and every time I pluck with that finger it hurts.
SUPERGLUE  :thumbsup  It really works.  Or you could buy the more expensive Liquid Bandage, but it doesn't work as well.

Quote from: BluesMan1 on April 25, 2010, 12:44:03 PM
   Finally got around to taking some pics. Man, do I have to get a new camera. Plus, too much coffee today? :?
   The lighting isn't the best today, but decided to take a few anyway. This is one sweet guitar. Bottom line. Haven't decided if I'm putting a pickguard on yet, but have both. Was thinking of black, but the wood IS just too nice to hide. My new EJ-16s that Jim set the guitar up with are settling in nice now. Wonderful things come out of this guitar! The coloring is more uniform than it appears due to the lighting, but it's the sound that is the thing with this! :nana_guitar
     Jeff
Very impressive mate. I'm so jealous  :+1:
cheers
fongie

Quote from: Frederico on April 26, 2010, 08:30:48 PM

Too bad I have a paper cut on the tip of my ring finger and every time I pluck with that finger it hurts.  :yak:  But I don't care.  Sorry, have to play it again :guitar.  Will post pictures later  :wave

Blood doesn't show up as well when splattered on a mahogany topped guitar, so go to it!
Ron

Well, I'm back to Phosphor Bronze strings on mine...a set of Martin FX (Flexible Core) mediums.  Why, oh why, did I doubt myself? (I've been using Martin SP strings on my Larrivees for years, like 'em as much as D'Addario. Maybe I need to get out more and try other brands...)

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Gotta admit that reading everyone's responses brings back all those amazing feelings from going through this with my Forum IIIs. Congratulations folks. Sorry about that lifting bridge, but I'm sure it will be remedied quickly.

Also, my second FIII, Sienna, has the similar markings on her neck that Danny's does. I think it makes it very special. Q's bridge with the markings is amazing.

Best of luck to those of you lucky enough to own an FIV. Let's not see any of them in the for sale section please.
'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"

I can't seem to help myself. I'll try to curtail my public infatuation with my new OO-03MT with one more pic and sound file. (And yes, I know adjusted the neck too far- twerrrannng! . . . :blush:)

Cheers! :beer

Looks like a candidate for GOTM!
Play it daily for best results.

Just to report my findings on my F-IV's tone after a few days of play.

I agree with all others' comments that this one is a keeper.  Its tone is dry, woody, crisp and clear.  Note separation and projection are excellent.  Very long sustain and I can feel the whole body resonates against my belly.  A big surprise is it handles strumming very well. I won't hesitate to bring it along to play praise music at church.  Mids and highs are screaming sweet and loud (loud being in terms of volume and depth).

The bass is good but still lacks weight and authority.  Considering its small 00 body size, we all expected it would not score high marks in this category.  So that's ok.  However, I found the low E is significantly lower in volume than A string.  Do other owners feel the same? Any way to get around it?

After seeing a demo on YouTube by Bob, I really like the Grover Sta-tite tuners.  I didn't choose this option because I did not like holes and the uncovered marks on the peghead.  But the one shown on the video is so nice. It complements the vintage look very well.  Damn, I missed it.  Is it easy to install myself (I'm total handicapped in terms of woodwork)?
Larrivee Forum IV
Martin OOO-28VS
Martin D-18GE Sunburst

Quote from: Frederico on April 29, 2010, 09:16:20 AM
Just to report my findings on my F-IV's tone after a few days of play.

I agree with all others' comments that this one is a keeper.  Its tone is dry, woody, crisp and clear.  Note separation and projection are excellent.  Very long sustain and I can feel the whole body resonates against my belly.  A big surprise is it handles strumming very well. I won't hesitate to bring it along to play praise music at church.  Mids and highs are screaming sweet and loud (loud being in terms of volume and depth).

The bass is good but still lacks weight and authority.  Considering its small 00 body size, we all expected it would not score high marks in this category.  So that's ok.  However, I found the low E is significantly lower in volume than A string.  Do other owners feel the same? Any way to get around it?

Yeah, I agree with you about the bass notes. They are a bit timid. I thought with the bridge dropped down in the middle of the body that wouldn't happen. I don't mind it, though, I like the balance, it suits how I like to play.

@prof_stack  GOTM? fingers crossed :winkin:

:donut :coffee :donut2