Pages: 1 ... 79 [80] 81 ... 96   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars  (Read 334686 times)
jumpjibe

Ignore
« Reply #1580 on: April 19, 2010, 11:38:08 PM »

# 13 arrived here in Durham, NC, this afternoon.  Ours had only the bone saddle change-out, no pickguard.
This is our third Larrivee, and very first hogtop of any brand.

No complaints whatsoever about the workmanship or set-up, at least for now.  Seam on the back is as invisible as it gets. 
The color of #13's top harmonizes well with back & sides. 

Tone is magnificent already.  Clear in an intimate/seductive way, balanced, warm, very woody of course.  It's one amazing blues machine, even this new.
Bass needs nothing.  No intention to make any changes until all these new component parts become more used to singing in synchrony.

Randy recommended we go this route, & I have absolutely no regrets. 

Abundant thanks to Randy, Jim Holler, and fellow forum Larry enthusiasts.   
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1581 on: April 20, 2010, 01:16:14 AM »

# 13 arrived here in Durham, NC, this afternoon.  Ours had only the bone saddle change-out, no pickguard.
This is our third Larrivee, and very first hogtop of any brand.

No complaints whatsoever about the workmanship or set-up, at least for now.  Seam on the back is as invisible as it gets. 
The color of #13's top harmonizes well with back & sides. 

Pics of course ... when your fingers get too sore to play anymore!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
LvGod

Ignore
« Reply #1582 on: April 20, 2010, 02:27:41 AM »

Hi Folks -

Jim and I are still working feverishly (and VERY carefully) to get these guitars set up exactly the way you have each requested. Almost finished! I am a Larrivee fan, of course, but have never played a forum guitar of any kind, and certainly never a 00. I'm pretty sure that i have played each of them and I really can't believe the sound and consistency of these guitars. I own a 000-50 (sample here) and have played a ton of Larrivees. The Forum IV is indeed among my favorites. The tone, projection and intonation (you're welcome) are outstanding as is the very open quality of its sound.
Those of you that have received them already know all this, but those that haven't are in for a very real treat.
I'll make sure we get some pics at the shop tomorrow and post them.
Happy pickin!

Bill Ward
(The Assistant)

Blessings,
Bill Ward
www.billwardmusic.com
appleknocker

Ignore
« Reply #1583 on: April 20, 2010, 04:02:38 AM »

Hey fellas, did your F-IV come drilled for an end-pin jack?
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1584 on: April 20, 2010, 04:08:34 AM »

Hey fellas, did your F-IV come drilled for an end-pin jack?

Standard fare for all Larrivees built now.  The older ones weren't drilled though.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
pehabe

Ignore
« Reply #1585 on: April 20, 2010, 09:30:05 AM »

Hi Folks -

Jim and I are still working feverishly (and VERY carefully) to get these guitars set up exactly the way you have each requested. Almost finished! I am a Larrivee fan, of course, but have never played a forum guitar of any kind, and certainly never a 00. I'm pretty sure that i have played each of them and I really can't believe the sound and consistency of these guitars. I own a 000-50 (sample here) and have played a ton of Larrivees. The Forum IV is indeed among my favorites. The tone, projection and intonation (you're welcome) are outstanding as is the very open quality of its sound.
Those of you that have received them already know all this, but those that haven't are in for a very real treat.
Happy pickin!

Bill Ward
(The Assistant)

Thanks Bill for your support :D
We really appreciate that.
How is my #10?  Will it take its long journey to Blackforest in Germany soon?

Peter

TrinityGuitars

Ignore
« Reply #1586 on: April 20, 2010, 10:49:10 AM »

Thanks Bill for your support :D
We really appreciate that.
How is my #10?  Will it take its long journey to Blackforest in Germany soon?

Peter
Peter,  I took your guitar to the post Monday. It is on the wat to the Black Forest.  Please have one of the wonderfull Alt beers for me what you get it!
Jim

Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com
TrinityGuitars

Ignore
« Reply #1587 on: April 20, 2010, 10:54:55 AM »

Hi Folks -

Happy pickin!

Bill Ward
(The Assistant)
   Bill sure makes the 000-50 sound great!  Did you see the cool Larrivee banner on the stage in the video?   BTY.  Bill was the first one to introduce me to Larrivee. It was at a Mayville Bluegrass meeting and the guitar was an L09. Amazing. I called Larrivee the very next day and placed my first order as a new dealer. The rest is history. Thanks Bill.
Jim Holler

Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com
pehabe

Ignore
« Reply #1588 on: April 20, 2010, 11:45:58 AM »

Peter,  I took your guitar to the post Monday. It is on the wat to the Black Forest.  Please have one of the wonderfull Alt beers for me what you get it!
Jim

+1
Thanks Jim...
I can not wait getting a phone call from the custom office in Appenweier.
I will spare some Alt beer for you, Jim. 

cheers,
Peter

Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1589 on: April 20, 2010, 12:45:30 PM »

Hi Folks -

Happy pickin!

Bill Ward
(The Assistant)

Really Bill you're killing me.  You should try Jim's FIII if you get a chance too...                                                               

BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1590 on: April 20, 2010, 02:20:32 PM »

Frank, if I recall correctly, the Gotoh SS Contour (510's) are a direct drop in. 21:1 ratio, black buttons, gold or chrome, but not cheap. Check then out @ lmii.com, which is LMII. Might find them cheaper, but I think these are direct drop-in's. Nice looking tuners, too!
   I'm #23, but paid off my balance on Friday, so am pushed towards the end? The ones that paid all were worked on first, so I'm patiently waiting. Just want to get all right, as far as setup. Don't think it will need much of a tweak going to light strings, but I asked if Jim could keep mine for a few days to let it settle. Then, it goes out!
   Seems to be mixed reviews here, what few there are. As they come in, more will follow. Still can't wait!
     Jeff

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1591 on: April 20, 2010, 06:47:11 PM »

Frank, if I recall correctly, the Gotoh SS Contour (510's) are a direct drop in. 21:1 ratio, black buttons, gold or chrome, but not cheap. Check then out @ lmii.com, which is LMII. Might find them cheaper, but I think these are direct drop-in's. Nice looking tuners, too!

Seems to be mixed reviews here, what few there are. As they come in, more will follow. Still can't wait!    Jeff

Thanks for the heads-up on those tuners; I'll check those out.

If my review seemed "mixed", I was just trying to give everyone an honest assessment of the guitar "as is". Mine only got the bone saddle (and pickup). I worked on the nut last night; lowered the slots and also shaved/lowered/reshaped the top of the nut, so now it follows the natural curve of the strings, and it's shinier. If you do this work on yours, heads up - this nut material files down REAL FAST - I almost got a couple of the slots too low right off the bat, and I was being very careful (because I've screwed this up more than once before...).

I now have another set of mediums on it, but they're 80/20s (Martin SP's), which I have never liked...supposedly they're brighter than phosphor bronze, but I've never found that to be the case...so I don't know why people claim that (so I tried them one more time...). I've always thought phosphor bronze souned more clear and crisp...I have a set of Martin FX phosphor mediums to try next (and it will be soon; may look for some tuners first). I'll report what I find. But the guitar plays so much better with the nut slots lowered; makes the mediums much easier to handle...and enjoy!

P.S. This pickguard really does look good on a hogtop guitar. Because it is somewhat see-through, I'm not crazy about it on a lighter spruce top, but with the darker mahogany, there's not so much contrast to notice; so it's more subtle and very classy.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Frederico

Ignore
« Reply #1592 on: April 20, 2010, 08:18:49 PM »

P.S. This pickguard really does look good on a hogtop guitar. Because it is somewhat see-through, I'm not crazy about it on a lighter spruce top, but with the darker mahogany, there's not so much contrast to notice; so it's more subtle and very classy.

Is it the clear/matte pickguard that came with the F-IV from Larrivee?

Larrivee Forum IV
Martin OOO-28VS
Martin D-18GE Sunburst
Frank_S

Ignore
« Reply #1593 on: April 20, 2010, 08:31:57 PM »

Jeff

Thank Jeff. I am still amazed that after months of questions, the Larrivée tuner mounting dimensions are still a secret.
The mounting specs of the SG360 are different than the Contour Delta series so it's one or the other. I have read that the SG360 were
drop-in replacements and now of course the contour series. I am at this point a bit frustrated to say the least which is why I'm waiting to
see what tuners are on my guitar before ordering replacements.

This picture reveals that the SG360 would be the proper fit, at least to me.

All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Larrivée 00-03MT Forum IV-#7
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1594 on: April 20, 2010, 09:35:05 PM »

Is it the clear/matte pickguard that came with the F-IV from Larrivee?

No, I'm talking about the tortoise one ... but I also asked Jim to throw the clear (matte) one in my case, just in case I want to use it on another guitar (or this one) someday...but I'm pretty sure the tort one is staying on there!

As to the tuners on the F4, they are like the one in the pic in your post Frank - the tuner in the middle, which has the screw directly below the edge of the housing, NOT at an angle, like the Gotoh one below it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1595 on: April 20, 2010, 09:51:33 PM »

The Gotoh 510's may be a direct drop in; it's hard to tell from the photos on their website, however, after looking at diagrams of them at Stew-Mac's website (www.stewmac.com), I'd say they aren't; you'll have to drill a new screw hole (see below).

There's also the Schaller M6 ones, which are a direct fit, and priced about the same or a little less than the Gotohs...I like the look of the black ones here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Schaller_Tuners/Schaller_M-6_Mini_Guitar_Machines.html?tab=Pictures#details

[attachment deleted by admin]

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
appleknocker

Ignore
« Reply #1596 on: April 21, 2010, 02:20:47 AM »

Got mine this afternoon.  Had a little time to strum on it before getting the kid ready for bed.  Since I have a sleeping kid in the next room I've been on the couch finger picking and it sounds fantastic.  I'm very curious to see what will happen to the tone as it ages.  This is my first mahogany guitar so I'm not sure what to expect.  I'm very happy with it so far. 
Thanks to Jim and crew for putting all this together.  I appreciate all your hard work.
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1597 on: April 21, 2010, 02:57:42 AM »

The Gotoh 510's may be a direct drop in; it's hard to tell from the photos on their website, however, after looking at diagrams of them at Stew-Mac's website (www.stewmac.com), I'd say they aren't; you'll have to drill a new screw hole (see below).

There's also the Schaller M6 ones, which are a direct fit, and priced about the same or a little less than the Gotohs...I like the look of the black ones here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Schaller_Tuners/Schaller_M-6_Mini_Guitar_Machines.html?tab=Pictures#details
For what it's worth, the Schallers on my 00-03 special have the 45^ indexing screw and look to be the exact match the Gotoh 510's on my L-09 which were an exact drop in replacement for the original Larrivee/Pings.

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
JasonA

Ignore
« Reply #1598 on: April 21, 2010, 04:06:09 AM »

#12 showed up today. I've had a few Larrivee 00's in my time, so I had a fair idea what to expect. But I'm actually surprised. I expected it to start out tighter and need a lot of breaking in. I'm sure it will improve with that breaking in, but it's already excellent! 

My nut and setup seems to be pretty good as well. However, my wimpy fingers don't like these mediums too much!

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1599 on: April 21, 2010, 02:41:50 PM »

Hmmph.

I guess no one else around here

OWNS A CAMERA!!!

Pics, anyone?

Would like to see some more of these beauties!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Pages: 1 ... 79 [80] 81 ... 96   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: