Pages: 1 ... 78 [79] 80 ... 96   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars  (Read 325968 times)
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1560 on: April 19, 2010, 02:28:43 PM »

Norm, if I hear one more cricket I'll scream!!! Now, a review of an F-IV would keep me calm? bigrin
     Jeff

'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1561 on: April 19, 2010, 02:48:47 PM »

Start of a new week, by the end there should be several with new guitars in hand. Congrats to all, I'm sure everyone will be happy.

I hope to get mine this week!!!

appleknocker

Ignore
« Reply #1562 on: April 19, 2010, 03:10:22 PM »

My guitar is in transit.  Says it left Grove City, OH 8:00 a.m. on the 17th.  That was 50 hours ago.  Mantra for the day "I will not to obsessively check the Fed-Ex tracking page." "I will not to obsessively check the Fed-Ex tracking page." "I will not to obsessively check the Fed-Ex tracking page."
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1563 on: April 19, 2010, 03:26:06 PM »

Mikey, since you've been waiting so patiently (?), finally got yours, had so many questions about it BEFORE, maybe you could share a little more than "I got mine!"? Like how it sounds, plays, first impressions, etc.. Normal stuff. Don't give us a slap in the face, how about a hug? bigrin

Mikey, I know that you're busy also with some important things. Instead of hints for the P/U, how about some sound comments, first impressions, whatever?

The pics are great & thanks for those. Mikey, they are mediums, as the other OO-03 Limiteds came with the same. I had Jim do a bone saddle & put lights on mine, as did Denis, from what he told me. If you go to lights, the neck might need that little tweak. Might not, but have to keep an eye on it.

Okay, Jeff, here goes...

I've played the F4 a little more now and played it side by side with my OM-05, which has a little older strings on it.

The F4 doesn't sound as BIG in overall sound as the OM, and I'm still noticing that the low E on the F4 doesn't have the thump of a bigger guitar...but I'm thinking as the top opens up, that will improve. But it sounds more clear and open than I thought a hogtop might sound...and the strings are ringing with a little more sparkle than the ones on my OM, which aren't that old.

Like Danny I've already changed the strings, and these comparisons are with the new strings, wich are DR 12-54 lights. I definitely liked the volume, tone and thump I was getting with the mediums more...there is a noticeable difference. So I will go back to mediums on this guitar.

But it also needs a little more set-up...the slots at the nut are about twice as high as they should be (when compared to the strings pressed down at the first fret, then checking the height at the second fret). This isn't Jim's fault, as I didn't have him replace the nut, now I wish I would have had that done. But I do a lot of my own guitar set-ups, (having built around 9-10 Warmoths) so I'll lower the slots soon...right now my fingers are sore after about 5 minutes of play, especially with the medium strings. The difference in set-up with my OM is night and day.

Overall, though, I'm very impressed with the tone and "character" this little guitar already has - does not sound like a "little" guitar at all to me! Nice rich, woody tones; you hear the tone of a quality guitar with the F4, and I look forward to what it will sound like after a year or so of strumming, picking, punching and pounding! But I will experiement some more with some strings (various mediums) to try to get more thump and tone on the low E string.

The iBeam Active: When I plugged it straight into my Acoustasonic Junior, I wasn't impressed with the sound much, mostly because it seemed like I was going to need two or three notch filters to take care of the overtones on the A and D strings in various places. But when I plugged it in to the church PA through my Boss EQ20 pedal (which provides 10 bands of eq adjustment) all was well...the pedal itself seemed to cure the issue...now I have to go back and try it with the Boss through the Acoustasonic Junior...so little time, so much to do! But I look forward to using this little box for worship sometime; it will blow people away!

Edited to add one more comment - fit and finish: The guitar is beautiful, and the fit and finish is excellent overall, with one or two little niggles, until I remember what we paid for these (!). The fretwork is EXCELLENT; much better than some other Larrivees we've all seen in the past few years...I'm very thankful for that...don't know if Jim or Bill did any touch up on the frets? But they're NICE. The rest of the fit and finish is also to a very high standard, but not perfect...there is one little "spot" like a finish fleck or something on the edge of the headstock next to the A string post; I can't brush it off (the more I look at it, it just looks like a dent in the finish). The two pieces of wood on the back don't seem to line up "perfectly" with the heel point of the neck...but the wood is so well matched, you wouldn't normally notice this...I had to look at it a couple times to be sure where the seam was. Inside the work is very clean; I can only see two miniscule drops of glue showing along the edging around the sides and back of the guitar.

I DON'T like the Ping tuners...they're not very responsive - again, for the price of the guitar, I'm not complaining. Hope I can find a direct replacement that doesn't require drilling a new hole in the headstock...I really don't want to alter this guitar in any ways that aren't reversible...but I'm on the lookout for some different tuners...and the 'right' set of medium strings to bring this whole guitar to life!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
JasonA

Ignore
« Reply #1564 on: April 19, 2010, 03:27:47 PM »

So are these coming with mediums on them? I'm a wimpy lights player, so I'll have to change that!

prof_stack
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1565 on: April 19, 2010, 03:59:24 PM »

The F4 doesn't sound as BIG in overall sound as the OM, and I'm still noticing that the low E on the F4 doesn't have the thump of a bigger guitar...but I'm thinking as the top opens up, that will improve. But it sounds more clear and open than I thought a hogtop might sound...and the strings are ringing with a little more sparkle than the ones on my OM, which aren't that old.

Like Danny I've already changed the strings, and these comparisons are with the new strings, wich are DR 12-54 lights. I definitely liked the volume, tone and thump I was getting with the mediums more...there is a noticeable difference. So I will go back to mediums on this guitar.

But it also needs a little more set-up...the slots at the nut are about twice as high as they should be (when compared to the strings pressed down at the first fret, then checking the height at the second fret). This isn't Jim's fault, as I didn't have him replace the nut, now I wish I would have had that done. But I do a lot of my own guitar set-ups, (having built around 9-10 Warmoths) so I'll lower the slots soon...right now my fingers are sore after about 5 minutes of play, especially with the medium strings. The difference in set-up with my OM is night and day.

Overall, though, I'm very impressed with the tone and "character" this little guitar already has - does not sound like a "little" guitar at all to me! But I will experiement some more with some strings (various mediums) to try to get more thump and tone on the low E string.

......and the 'right' set of medium strings to bring this whole guitar to life!

Thanks!  Sounds similar to my experience with the F-III LS-03R.  Daily playing will bring these guitars to be more open, or as mentioned here, to life.  Too bad about the nut slots, but the same thing happened to me on the F-III, which is why I asked Jim to make a bone nut.

Play it daily for best results.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1566 on: April 19, 2010, 04:05:07 PM »

Thanks!  Sounds similar to my experience with the F-III LS-03R.  Daily playing will bring these guitars to be more open, or as mentioned here, to life.  Too bad about the nut slots, but the same thing happened to me on the F-III, which is why I asked Jim to make a bone nut.

Make sure you go back and look at my post again...I made a couple edits to it, including discussing the Active iBeam pickup...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1567 on: April 19, 2010, 05:39:27 PM »

Thanks Mikey. Know that your weekend has been a busy & some sad business to attend to. I also had Jim make a bone nut, as he did on my F-III. Also had lights put on. PM'd Denis, he saying that he had Jim do the same for his setup. Jim had said that the lights would be fine, so I went with them. Like Jason, my fingers have become used to lights, the only strings I've been using for years. Had mediums on my SD-50, but man would my fingers hurts. The sound was worth the pain!
   Some interesting comments. My F-III was great once the setup was all right, getting better, as if it could, over time. Am going to use my ToneRite on both Forum guitars. I'll post my impressions after. Am getting the 3rd generation unit, so won't be until after the first week in May. Am thinking the top will need a little "push" to get the opening up process going faster.
   Some guitars just need mediums. Denis, who gets awesome sound out of little guitars, uses lights except on his parlor & would use mediums on this one if short scale. Time will tell on these. Think the all HOG smaller body gits need more play-in. And, a setup that fits you is important. Makes all of the difference. Please keep us posted with your impressions. All's appreciated!
     Jeff

Frank_S

Ignore
« Reply #1568 on: April 19, 2010, 06:36:18 PM »

My guitar is in transit.  Says it left Grove City, OH 8:00 a.m. on the 17th.  That was 50 hours ago.  Mantra for the day "I will not to obsessively check the Fed-Ex tracking page." "I will not to obsessively check the Fed-Ex tracking page." "I will not to obsessively check the Fed-Ex tracking page."

That's a coincidence. Mine left at the same time. 
Mine's scheduled for a Thursday delivery.

All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Larrivée 00-03MT Forum IV-#7
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1569 on: April 19, 2010, 06:48:29 PM »

That's a coincidence. Mine left at the same time. 
Mine's scheduled for a Thursday delivery.

Hope you'll post pics and impressions of #7 when it gets there - it will be interesting to compare to #6.

What extras did you have Jim do?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Frank_S

Ignore
« Reply #1570 on: April 19, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »

Hope you'll post pics and impressions of #7 when it gets there - it will be interesting to compare to #6.

What extras did you have Jim do?

I had Jim do a bone saddle & bone nut with Colosi bone pins, EJ 16's on it for now.

All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1571 on: April 19, 2010, 07:41:04 PM »

I had Jim do a bone saddle & bone nut with Colosi bone pins, EJ 16's on it for now.

Smart man on the nut and bridge pins - I forgot to mention in my review, the plastic bridge pins are something else I will be replacing soon...

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
archilady

Ignore
« Reply #1572 on: April 19, 2010, 08:34:12 PM »

Woo Hoo! Just got my shipping notice. #24 is on the way!

Larrivee OM-03, lefty
Larrivee Forum IV #24, lefty (love it)
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1573 on: April 19, 2010, 09:50:23 PM »

Sounds like these 00's are going to be winners.

Just give them a couple of months to settle in. By pressing Larrivee to deliver these so soon, they won't have much in the way of cure time on the bodies, which guitars do need to sound their best.

fun fun fun...   

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1574 on: April 19, 2010, 10:37:10 PM »

Sounds like these 00's are going to be winners.

Just give them a couple of months to settle in. By pressing Larrivee to deliver these so soon, they won't have much in the way of cure time on the bodies, which guitars do need to sound their best.

fun fun fun...   

Whatever you may think of these 00's now they will, undoubtedly, improve with time and lots of playing.    My FIII hogtop sounded great right off the finishing bench but after 1 year of daily playing it's just amazing.  Now I know what a "fingerstyle" guitar is supposed to sound like.     I have no doubt that the same could be said of these little 00 hoggies.

You guys are gonna have a great time breaking these in.   I look forward to the reviews.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1575 on: April 19, 2010, 10:39:15 PM »

So I will go back to mediums on this guitar.

But it also needs a little more set-up...the slots at the nut are about twice as high as they should be (when compared to the strings pressed down at the first fret, then checking the height at the second fret).

Overall, though, I'm very impressed with the tone and "character" this little guitar already has - does not sound like a "little" guitar at all to me! Nice rich, woody tones; you hear the tone of a quality guitar with the F4, and I look forward to what it will sound like after a year or so of strumming, picking, punching and pounding! But I will experiement some more with some strings (various mediums) to try to get more thump and tone on the low E string.
I'm assuming you meant to say pressing the string down on the second fret, then checking the height at the first fret.

I would give a set of Curt Mangan medium 80/20's a try. I have found that on my OM-MT that the extra brightness of the 80/20's goes well with the Hog top. Different than on a Spruce top not really bright but more clear. Make sure you get the mediums 13-56 not the medium lights which are 12-54.
http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/cumafuma80br.html

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1576 on: April 19, 2010, 10:40:46 PM »

I'll be workng on the nut slots on mine tonight...and possibly trying my 3rd set of strings (already - back to some medium 80/20's)...and trying some different bridge pins.

I'm assuming you meant to say pressing the string down on the second fret, then checking the height at the first fret.

Nope, I meant pressing down the string at the first fret, so I can see what the action is at the frets versus what the action is at the nut. So by pressing down the string at the first fret, then pressing down (with my picking hand) at the 2nd fret, I can see just how low the action is at the other frets; the same effect can be achieved by putting a capo on the first fret (making it now the "nut"), then pressing down the strings on the first few frets. When the action is lower with a capo at the first (or 2nd or 3rd) frets, and it's easier to play, it means your nut slots are too high.

And what I was saying was that the action at the nut is about double what the action is with the first fret pressed down, which means the nut slots are, indeed, way too high.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1577 on: April 19, 2010, 11:07:17 PM »

On another note (hah), does anyone know of a direct drop in replacement for these small Ping tuners?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
BluesMan1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1578 on: April 19, 2010, 11:15:40 PM »

Back to the F-III tuner replacement posts last year...   Same tuners, same questions. There was a direct drop-in discussed, but can't remember which. Know that Tad did a nice job on his own with the Sta-tites. He might be the one to ask or maybe chime in?
     Jeff

Frank_S

Ignore
« Reply #1579 on: April 19, 2010, 11:30:29 PM »

On another note (hah), does anyone know of a direct drop in replacement for these small Ping tuners?

I will be replacing the tuners as soon as I see what's on it. If they are the same as my L-03R, I'll probably get the Gotoh SG 360 chrome with black buttons.

All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7
Pages: 1 ... 78 [79] 80 ... 96   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: