F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars

Started by Danny, November 22, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butter beans. They're good and they're good for you, too! ( in nickel)

There is a way to replace plastic buttons on tuners but it's not easy. I have repaired one very old Kluson nickle button tuner using silver solder, but that only made it functional, not so pretty.

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 15, 2010, 09:40:56 AM
   I might be able to reproduce that info here if anyone is interested.

:thumb
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

a good how-to on changing StayTite's metal buttons to Ebony as shown to the presenter by Dan Roberts of SCGC;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZLeR9VqYY0&feature=related

;-)

d.

Was just on the phone with LMII about the Schaller open back tuners. The rep told me that the buttons won't come off the open ones, but will on closed? Told him I saw Schaller replacement black buttons, but those were for closed only. Mentioned the Grovers, being told that like the Pings, they are made in China. Grover, Schallers, etc., made in US. Has 10mm bushings for a 1/4" hole, me telling him they were a swap for mini Pings. These are 12:1 ratio (vintage), I said chrome, he said nickel, & $47.95 with bushings. Made it sound like you had a pick of bushing sizes to order with the tuners, as if they came with them. Says they do, but not sure about a different size one. Here's a pic of the Gotohs offered, the ones with black buttons being around $75? Schaller ones are the gold ones.
     Jeff

[attachment deleted by admin]
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

QuoteWas just on the phone with LMII about the Schaller open back tuners. The rep told me that the buttons won't come off the open ones,

Maybe ask him watch youtube?

:bgrin:

d

Quote from: dermot on March 15, 2010, 11:50:43 AM
a good how-to on changing StayTite's metal buttons to Ebony as shown to the presenter by Dan Roberts of SCGC;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZLeR9VqYY0&feature=related

;-)

d.
Thanks d.  This is very good information. I have some open back Schallers that I think I'll practice on today. I'll change the chrome to white butterbeans.
               I  like the vise set up with the jig/jaws that extend up and make it easy to pull straight off. Then using the same vice press the other buttons back on.

I posted these for those that want all in one, as far as tuners. Thanks for the other info. Don't want to spend that much on tuners, but some have lots of cash? Not me. I'm going for the Gotohs, just to support the economy! :thumb A few million more sets, might make a difference? :humour:
   I'll just sit back now & let the big boys figure this out! :bgrin:
     Jeff

I think I'm going to wait until I receive my guitar and then deal with buying replacement tuners. I can't understand why it is so difficult to obtain the specs. of the original tuners so that we can buy an appropriate replacement.

All I need to know is the correct bushing size (or even just the holesize in the headstock will do), and the spec. for the single mounting screw, IE.what the angle and distance is in reference to the centerline of the tuner. It's that simple.
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Larrivée 00-03MT Forum IV-#7
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

Gotoh 360s are the direct drop-in replacement - all the specs are in the catalog -

This was from the F3 run - I can only assume that the F4s will have the same -

Tad

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Quote from: tadol on March 15, 2010, 04:36:39 PM
Gotoh 360s are the direct drop-in replacement - all the specs are in the catalog -

Tad

Thanks Tad!
It's been 25 years since I replaced tuners. Can I use the existing Larrivée bushings with these? Or do I need to press in new ones?
Where can I purchase these online? I like the black model.
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

Tad, which catalog? My LMII catalog(sent my other to Italy) is coming this week & can't find them in Stew-Mac. Can you post your pic with all of the tuners on, please? Wasn't there a hole that showed on the bottom left one? Hard to notice & don't mean to sound nitpicking, but I seem to remember that. Is it possible to put them in straight so the hole doesn't show?
   Just wondering before I decide which way I go. Nice of you to sit back this whole time & watch the fun! :humour:
     Jeff

Quote from: BluesMan1 on March 15, 2010, 06:13:36 PM
   Tad, which catalog? My LMII catalog(sent my other to Italy) is coming this week & can't find them in Stew-Mac. Can you post your pic with all of the tuners on, please? Wasn't there a hole that showed on the bottom left one? Hard to notice & don't mean to sound nitpicking, but I seem to remember that. Is it possible to put them in straight so the hole doesn't show?
   Just wondering before I decide which way I go. Nice of you to sit back this whole time & watch the fun! :humour:
     Jeff

Is there any possible way for Jim to contact Larrivée and just ask for the tuner dimensions? That sure would make it easy to order the correct replacements.
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

Frank, when I called LMII, they pulled up the mini Ping dimensions & told me that they fit a 3/8", or 10mm hole. Started giving him the other specs that Dan & others measured, but basically said I would just need the 10mm bushings. This was when I asked about the open Schallers, which aren't cheap. Can't seem to be able to find the Gotoh 360's on either site.
   Maybe Jim could ask Larrivee, as you said, for the size. He might know already, as he has tuners listed as an option?
     Jeff

Quote from: tadol on March 15, 2010, 04:36:39 PM

Tad

Here's a link to the Gotoh tuner specs.
Roger

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on March 15, 2010, 06:57:35 PM
Here's a link to the Gotoh tuner specs.

Thanks  :smile:, but the specs. of the Larrivée tuners is what would really help.
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

The only differences I see between the mini pings and the regular pings are
1. the mini tuner buttons are smaller
2. the screw hole location the mini goes straight down from the tuner on the inside (as shown in the picture above) and the regular is at a 45 degree angle.
3. the string post on the regular sits about 9/16" above the head plate, the mini is about 7/16" and they appear to both be the same diameter.
Roger

Quote from: Frank_S on March 15, 2010, 07:17:17 PM
Thanks  :smile:, but the specs. of the Larrivée tuners is what would really help.

I just don't think you'll get that - Those Gotoh specs are the exact shape/size drop in replacements for the Ping minis. I'm assuming that's what they'll use - but no one will really know until they ship.

Ping doesn't have a catalog, and don't do retail, to the best of all my searching - and I've searched pretty hard, since with 2 12 strings I wanted to order a pile of black knobs for these minis. Now I just need 12 of them.

Jeff - I put in the 510 smalls on my F3, and the body of the tuner can cover the old hole, I just got one a hair rotated so you can barely see the edge of the old screw hole. I wanted the higher ratio (18:1) than the 360s offered (14:1, same as the ping minis). Look at the gotoh catalog, and you'll see the difference in the screw holes.

Tuffy has given y'all all the details on installing open backs - I've not tried it, but they do look good.

There was a thread that I started on all this when trying to do a bulk purchase of the 360s for the F3s, but that never got anywhere - I would recommend anyone wanting Gotohs to contact Scott Ando at Domo Intl. Nice guy, good prices, will custom order you anything you want - and if you look at all the options Gotoh has, thats quite alot of choices. And I bet he'll make sure you get the right bushings if you want some of the Gotoh open backs -

Tad
Bunch of Larrivees - all good -
and a wife that still puts up with me, which is the best -

Tad, thanks. Was not inferring the tuners were installed wrong, just might have been off a hair? Think you got that. I just remember your post asking if you could find the hole. Was only partly visible & looked sweet. Like a dope, I didn't even think of going to the Gotoh site.  :ohmy:
   I'm leaning towards closed vintage style Gotohs with an ivoroid or ebony buttons. Schaller has some also, being able to swap the metal buttons for ebony or ivoroid. Still gives the vintage look, but have to find out if a hard switch?
     Jeff

May I make a suggestion here without offending anyone? Probably not eh?

Anyway, could we "change the channel" from "The tuner network 24 hour update" now. :winkin: