F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars

Started by Danny, November 22, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny

Yup.  They go in from the front side.  There are at least a couple of sizes available.   Also, you can see from the picture that mine have a round bezel;  you can also get a hex shaped on in the same size.  I preferred this style.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks Lynn, I'll just pull one off of the F-III and measure the hole drill size as well. But I'll do that later today. Trying to get some chores done right now.

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 14, 2010, 02:51:22 PM
Danny

Yup.  They go in from the front side.  There are at least a couple of sizes available.   Also, you can see from the picture that mine have a round bezel;  you can also get a hex shaped on in the same size.  I preferred this style.

Those look nice. What do they look like from the backside of the headstock? Got a pic?
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Larrivée 00-03MT Forum IV-#7
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

I realise this is of marginal relevance since it is a slothead but all these headstock and tuner pics prompted me to use the new camera I've been experimenting with this weekend and snap this pic.

Buttons are black and they are on an all mahogany 00-50 so there is some justification!!!

Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
Brook Lyn
Brook Taw
Santa Cruz D3140

Quote from: shuffle on March 14, 2010, 03:50:41 PM
I realise this is of marginal relevance since it is a slothead but all these headstock and tuner pics prompted me to use the new camera I've been experimenting with this weekend and snap this pic.

Buttons are black and they are on an all mahogany 00-50 so there is some justification!!!

Chris

Very nice.   :smile:  I think  black buttons are my favorite, gives it that vintage look.
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

Frank

You must have missed it.   Go back a page to pg. 64,  post #1277 for a before and after pic of my F III with the Grover Sta-tites installed.   

Tuffy, keep mentioning your tuners. We all are getting a little old? :?
     Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 14, 2010, 04:26:37 PM

Frank

You must have missed it.   Go back a page to pg. 64,  post #1277 for a before and after pic of my F III with the Grover Sta-tites installed.  

I did miss that, thank you!  :arrow
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 14, 2010, 02:30:05 PM
While Dan is measuring, let me add that anyone who wants to put Grover Sta-tite open back tuners on their F IV can do so without worrying about screw holes showing if they come with mini-Pings.   The Grovers will fit just fine but you have to order the correct bushing size for the Larrivee.

Do you have the order sheet from when you ordered your set? That would make it easy for those interested in getting the correct bushing with the tuners.  :smile:
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 14, 2010, 04:26:37 PM

Frank

You must have missed it.   Go back a page to pg. 64,  post #1277 for a before and after pic of my F III with the Grover Sta-tites installed.   

Tuffy I know I mentioned it months back when you posted this upgrade BUT it warrants re-mention NICE Upgrade!!!!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: Frank_S on March 14, 2010, 05:25:40 PM
Do you have the order sheet from when you ordered your set? That would make it easy for those interested in getting the correct bushing with the tuners.  :smile:

Frank
I ordered the "Conversion Tuner Bushings"   #3458 round.   for a hex shaped bezel it would be #3457
These are described as being for 3/8" or 10mm holes.   These are supposed to be press-fit bushings.  They taper from .394" diam to .375" diam.  A larger size (#3459) Is tapered from .415" to .395.  These are too large.   I found that the smaller ones were just a wee bit small for a tight press-fit so I put a light coat of white glue on them and pressed them in and waited overnight to install the rest of the tuner assembly.   They've stayed put with no problems.

It bears repeating that you will have to drill new holes for the mounting screws.  You would have visible screw holes if you ever went back to the pings.  If that makes you nervous then these aren't the tuners for you.  The holes for the mini-pings will be covered by the new tuners.   I do not know if the standard ping mounting holes would be covered;  they have an offset screw hole placement.

The tuners themselves were #4592 Grover Sta-tites.. Nickel     

If the F-IIIs, being a larger guitar, had minis, these will also. I'm in on the order for a set of nickel ones. Black buttons? Have to search around for those. Are you talking gold Grovers? Anyone still interested in nickel ones?
   And Lynn, missed your pic. Tried to find it but only went back to page 63. My eyes got sore! :humour:
     Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Quote from: BluesMan1 on March 14, 2010, 07:11:57 PM
   If the F-IIIs, being a larger guitar, had minis, these will also. I'm in on the order for a set of nickel ones. Black buttons? Have to search around for those. Are you talking gold Grovers? Anyone still interested in nickel ones?
      Jeff

Thanks for the info Jeff. I'd like to get the nickel with black buttons myself.
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

Quote from: BluesMan1 on March 14, 2010, 07:11:57 PM
 I'm in on the order for a set of nickel ones. Black buttons? Have to search around for those. Anyone still interested in nickel ones?

The nickel Sta-tites are what I had in mind for mine.
Montreal
Larrivee OM-03R SH, O-01, OO-03MT FIV
National Style O, National Polychrome Tricone
Gibson B25-12, Brunner OG Basic and a few others

Quote from: Frank_S on March 14, 2010, 07:24:09 PM
Thanks for the info Jeff. I'd like to get the nickel with black buttons myself.

I don't believe they are available with black buttons.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on March 14, 2010, 07:37:49 PM
I don't believe they are available with black buttons.

I believe that's correct.    They are definitely not in the Stew-Mac catalog.   just the nickel or gold tuners.

grotro.com

14:1 gear ratio
V97N Nickel
V97C Chrome
V97G Gold

classic round button
V98N Nickel
V98C Chrome

18:1 gear ratio
V97-18N Nickel
V97-18C Chrome
V97-18G Gold

Roger

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on March 14, 2010, 11:39:10 PM
grotro.com

14:1 gear ratio
V97N Nickel
V97C Chrome
V97G Gold

classic round button
V98N Nickel
V98C Chrome

18:1 gear ratio
V97-18N Nickel
V97-18C Chrome
V97-18G Gold

Roger
   The 18:1 tuners are in the Stew-Mac catalog but not the others.  The item #s I referred to in my earlier post are Stew-Mac #s.   I haven't seen any source for different buttons that would fit these tuners anywhere.

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 15, 2010, 01:07:47 AM
Roger
   The 18:1 tuners are in the Stew-Mac catalog but not the others.  The item #s I referred to in my earlier post are Stew-Mac #s.   I haven't seen any source for different buttons that would fit these tuners anywhere.

I thought the buttons on open gear tuners were part of the worm gear stem, are they removeable?
Roger

Roger
I don't think they are meant to be removable.   They don't have a screw that attaches them to the shaft.   I don't know if they could be forcibly pulled off or not.   I wouldn't try it myself.   

On a similar subject....   I noticed on the back page of a recent Stew-Mac catalog that there were replacement tuner buttons for older "press-on" style buttons.    There was also a short step-by-step tutorial on how to remove older plastic buttons and install new ones.   I might be able to reproduce that info here if anyone is interested.