F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars

Started by Danny, November 22, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I think the black button Santa Cruz open back tuners would be very nice..........not sure about the almost white extreme. Black would be cool though, with black pick guard.

All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Larrivée 00-03MT Forum IV-#7
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

Quote from: Frank_S on March 13, 2010, 07:29:58 PM
I think the black button Santa Cruz open back tuners would be very nice..........not sure about the almost white extreme. Black would be cool though, with black pick guard.

Nice headstock, Frank!  :nice guitar:

(I LOVE seeing lefty Larrivees!)

:gotpics: of the rest of that gee-tar?

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Unfortunately that belongs to someone else, can't remember where I got that pic. I still do like the black buttons for the hog top.

Would anyone happen to know what Gotoh tuners would drop into our Forum IV that have black buttons?
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

I think the Gold tuners clash with the silver headstock boarder.  Chrome would look more unified.

Go to the Santa Cruz site. They have what they call 2nd generation tuners made for them (look like Waverlys, cheaper ones). They have either nickel or gold tuner with your choice of buttons, including ebony. They are the same ones used on the "1929". Lets just say with bushings (if they have them) & shipping they should be under a buck & a half? Talking deer here, my friends! :cop:
  Only problem with those, being the only nice open ones with ebony buttons, they say "Santa Cruz" on the mounting plate?
    Jeff
   The tuners are also available in gold, nickel, & ivoroid.
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Jim, any prices on the tuners?
     Jeff

Quote from: BluesMan1 on March 14, 2010, 11:18:28 AM
   Jim, any prices on the tuners?
     Jeff

The samples are not here yet. One thing I can add to the conversation is that the open back tuners will not be an option for me. The one I have used require a different size hole in the peghead and will leave screw hole showing on the back of the peghead. Can it be done yes but to do it right it requires fillinf the holes and re-boring them for the open back machines. Plugging the exposed screw holes and finishing the back of the peg head.
Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com

Quote from: AZLiberty on March 13, 2010, 09:02:50 PM
I think the Gold tuners clash with the silver headstock boarder.  Chrome would look more unified.

I think clash is a little strong, after all 4 of the six strings that span the headstock are gold colored. Many jewelry items are a combo of gold and white gold (silver). It's really just a matter of preference. YMMV
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: BluesMan1 on March 14, 2010, 09:51:09 AM
  Go to the Santa Cruz site. They have what they call 2nd generation tuners made for them (look like Waverlys, cheaper ones). They have either nickel or gold tuner with your choice of buttons, including ebony. They are the same ones used on the "1929". Lets just say with bushings (if they have them) & shipping they should be under a buck & a half? Talking deer here, my friends! :cop:
  Only problem with those, being the only nice open ones with ebony buttons, they say "Santa Cruz" on the mounting plate?
    Jeff
   The tuners are also available in gold, nickel, & ivoroid.

or get them without the SC logo here, same tuners, but no ebony buttons on offer;
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Tuners/Grover_18:1_Sta-Tites.html

$37 - vs $75 for nickle
$54 -vs- $85 for gold

pay allot for that SCGC logo eh?

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on March 14, 2010, 12:32:19 PM
I think clash is a little strong, after all 4 of the six strings that span the headstock are gold colored. Many jewelry items are a combo of gold and white gold (silver). It's really just a matter of preference. YMMV
With the Dean Markley Alchemy "GOLD BRONZE" all six are gold. And I have noticed that the silver border is like a mirror and reflects the gold shining into it.
      I recently put gold tuners with MOP buttons on my F-III and I think it is hands down a 100% improvement to chrome Ping buttons and tuners. There is no silver border in the F-III headstock but even with it I think it would work out nicely.

Quote from: dermot on March 14, 2010, 12:43:08 PM
or get them without the SC logo here, same tuners, but no ebony buttons on offer;
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Tuners/Grover_18:1_Sta-Tites.html

$37 - vs $75 for nickle
$54 -vs- $85 for gold

pay allot for that SCGC logo eh?

These Grovers are nice,  Thanks d.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Eh, looks like the same ones I posted? One tuner from Stew-Mac, Grover Sta-tites, LMII open ones made for them by Gotoh. About $15 more, but aren't Gotoh a little better? Not just IMO? Here's the Gotohs. Don't want Santa Cruz on my git, was just responding to the "1929" look. Now you can see both again. Only problem with the Gotohs, 15:1 ratio. Grovers, 18:1. Grovers, have a plastic bushing. Gotohs, all metal. Take your pick? Might just go with the ones Jim has (closed) & swap the buttons for ebony. Plus ebony pins. Think that's an easy solution with a sharp look!
     Jeff

They could all be made by Gotoh with different names on em. Things get pretty crazy now a days with companies being swallowed up left and right.
   The Grizzly gold tuners I ordered have no name stamped on them, but they are Ping minis with the same number as the Larrivee OEM's stamped on the back. Direct drop ins, but nothing said about ''Ping" anywhere. I like their look and they seem to be working well. I think they were 26 bucks and the shipping was about a dollar because I had them thrown in with the rest of the order I made.

I like those open backs though. I have a chrome set on the Maple/Koa made by Schaller. I think a gold set would be nice on the F4, but I just want the little git for now.

I wonder if they could just ship it direct to me? Or if they would let me come and get it fresh off the floor? 
     Maybe I could put the strings on it like I did the F-III almost one year ago exactly. (I know I had to string it twice  :blush:)

I actually saw my F-III in Vancouver for the first time one year ago yesterday.  :+1:

Can someone post the holesize in the Larrivée headstock? Are they 11/32"?
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

Here is a pic of my F-III with the new tuners.

Also the hang tag was signed by John Jr. and Jim Holler. As well as a few workers and some forum members.
The hat is from Jim and says Larrivee Forum Guitar III on the back and TRINITY GUITARS in the front with his "TRI" logo.

That hang tag may be something John Jr. would be willing to sign for a member if they requested it. He wrote Dan Rocks and signed his name on mine. I had asked him to sign the label in the guitar at first, but he said something which was honoring his father and refused to do that. (I did not ask him to put "Dan rocks", but I'm happy for the personalization)

Quote from: Frank_S on March 14, 2010, 01:58:29 PM
Can someone post the holesize in the Larrivée headstock? Are they 11/32"?
I can measure the inserts and posts. I have the original set off my F-III. Will that help ya?

Quote from: dependan on March 14, 2010, 02:02:14 PM
I can measure the inserts and posts. I have the original set off my F-III. Will that help ya?

Sure Dan, that would help. Can you measure the outside diameter of the bushing and also the length, perhaps 8mm (.315 inch) which the Grover's are? Do you have calipers?
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

I have digital Calipers. Just give me a few minutes.

While Dan is measuring, let me add that anyone who wants to put Grover Sta-tite open back tuners on their F IV can do so without worrying about screw holes showing if they come with mini-Pings.   The Grovers will fit just fine but you have to order the correct bushing size for the Larrivee.

Quote from: Frank_S on March 14, 2010, 02:13:04 PM
Sure Dan, that would help. Can you measure the outside diameter of the bushing and also the length, perhaps 8mm (.315 inch) which the Grover's are? Do you have calipers?
.315 is the length of the extruded insert side of the machine head and the diameter is .392. What I call the bushing, which screws into the machine from the peg head top is .305 and threaded, the length of the threaded insert is .5 and the washer I.D. is .315.
               Maybe you can make sense of this. (I hope)

Quote from: tuffythepug on March 14, 2010, 02:30:05 PM
While Dan is measuring, let me add that anyone who wants to put Grover Sta-tite open back tuners on their F IV can do so without worrying about screw holes showing if they come with mini-Pings.   The Grovers will fit just fine but you have to order the correct bushing size for the Larrivee.
So Tuffy. Is the bushing going in from the top? That's what I would assume.