F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars

Started by Danny, November 22, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gorgeous!  I'm so excited. 
I'm also really curious to see what mine looks like.  I've never had this experience before of buying a guitar without seeing and playing it first.  When I bought my L-03 Walnut, the dealer had two of them.  One was a little prettier but the one I chose just felt better.  Waiting for this guitar is like opening a present.  I don't know exactly what I'll get but I'm very excited.  Can't wait.

ANTICIPATION!!!!!!!!
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

WOW!!!!   They look great!  I can`t wait to play it!  I love all that mahogany. 

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Thanks for posting those shots Jim.  It finally feels like it`s really happening.

Pretty sweet... 

Is anyone here in Maryland getting one?  I'd love to a/b one with my spruce top.

Ed

I asked the question about the back strip being missing. Wasn't answered, so did my own research than pull it from someones head? The strip Dan is referring to is also called a "marriage strip", running down the inside of the back. Is what the back inside bracing is built around. Not the same as a "back strip", which is just that. Like Larrivee used to put on the earlier models & many getting excited about this "rare" strip being on our guitars.
   It can be added after, as many builders do, using a router to make a small cut just deep enough to add the strip. Not the same as the Gibbies that had "marriage strips". Just about every guitar has one of those. Don't know if they're getting them, don't care, just bringing to light that it was on the original specs (page 10). Personally, love to see wood, but might be cool also to have an HB strip or marquetry running down the back. Look up the 2 words & you'll see, a back strip is outside, a marriage strip is inside. The words don't get mixed up, come back with the exact results I stated. Just to set the record straight. Not put a crimp on the guitars. Just the facts Mame, just the facts! :thumb
   Think the backs are as we'll get them. The main thing is the sound. If what Jon Jr. says is true, not doubting him, these guitars will be special. But, the original specs, as posted per Jim, said back strip, something all assumed was just that. A strip that runs down the OUTSIDE of the guitar, like Martin or other builders use?
   Now, back to all of the celebrating. Am up to 3 guitars now. Added one overnight! :humour: :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar
     Jeff
   And Mikey, it wasn't you being wrong. Just a slight cosmetic change?
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Good research and explanation Jeff. Look inside the soundhole of your F-III.

Quote from: dependan on March 13, 2010, 10:35:12 AM
  Good research and explanation Jeff.

Yup
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

The strip inside is for structural purposes and not a bad thing to have. Even though it's thin, they're relitively wide and been told by builders that they add a lot of strength to seam.
I think Larrivee had enough confidence in thier seam to think they didn't need them. I did get a very slight seperation though a few years ago on old L-10 which I had immiediatly fixed. I could only tell when I ran my finger along a small part of seam on outside. That's one of the times I was asking about inside support strip. It does have a thin decorative stripe down the seam on outside as well.
On the old Hummingbird I had, the inside strip was coming loose and flapping in the breeze. I had it reglued down.
Sounds like these will be great guitars.  If I had to choose, I'd take the support strip inside over a thinstripe outside. Ya'll enjoy those beauties.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Just checked both my L-10 & F-III. No strip. And luckily for me, FL, no problems with the seam on my L-10! :thumb
   Figured it was for structural strength. The marriage strip, or inside back strip, obviously can't be added. It's the first part of the back bracing procedure. Back strip, then build out from there. The outside one, which I'll call a stripe, can be added, esp. when an inside strip is there for reinforcement. Think many of us got confused, think a Martin-like stripe on the back.
   One thing about my F-III that's been noticed is you just can't see a seam where the back pieces are joined. My brother asked if it was a one piece back. He's a pro guitarist & couldn't find the seam, nor myself. Anyone else with an IS/HOG one that is the same? Have never seen a back like it before. Does look like one piece. :?
   And personally, I'll take the support strip also. Dig the wood too much!
   And, am still only up to 3 nanas. Damn, it's hard dancin' & playin' 20 guitars @ once, let alone just holding them! Teeth do come in handy, & toenails? :humour:
     Jeff

Was looking @ a pic of a '66 D-18. Backstrip. My Italian guitar. Same. Good thing? Back & top bracing. Both are being laid out before gluing.
    Jeff

[attachment deleted by admin]

Quote from: archilady on March 12, 2010, 03:13:11 PM
Woo Hoo! I've resisted posting on this site so far because I was learning so much from just reading everyone else's comments - so this is my first post. I've been checking-in almost everyday for news on the build and these photos have finally pushed me over the edge! Awesome - I can't wait until I'm sitting on my couch with my very own Forum IV (#24 lefty, I think...)  Thanks to "tuffythepug" for giving me the heads up on this build one day before the order deadline. I jumped in with both feet and I'm so glad I did!

Hey Sherry !
I'm glad you decided to come out of shadows and join in the fun here.   I'm just thrilled that I was able to nudge you in the direction of the F IV.   You told me you were looking for a good little blues fingerpicking guitar and I think you will find that this one will be everything you were hoping for.   I would have gotten one myself if I didn't already have the Forum III hogtop and a 000-50MT.   

I can feel the level of excitement here on the forum now..   :smile:    I just realized that it was almost exactly one year ago that I was preparing to board a plane to Vancouver to pick up my Forum III.   Wow that year went by fast !

Be sure to let us know what you think of the Forum IV when you receive it.   I look forward to hearing your thoughts. 

Oh,    and welcome to the fourm, too.   :cheers

T the P

Quote from: archilady on March 12, 2010, 03:50:43 PM
"Yes, welcome - and from another lefty to boot (I think mine is aroundd #6)!  That makes at least three lefty Forum IV's that I'm aware of - not bad for an order of 28-30 guitars - at or over 10%."

Yes, I've noticed there's a few lefties already on this build. I think that's because we lefties usually have to get a custom order anyway so why not go for something really special, right? Thanks for the warm welcome.

Man, I am really chomping at the bit now after seeing these pics, and after hearing glowing comments from the man himself. Lefty #7 here.  :nana_guitar

Who's going to put a pick guard on???????????????
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Larrivée 00-03MT Forum IV-#7
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

Quote from: Frank_S on March 13, 2010, 03:00:39 PM
Man, I am really chomping at the bit now after seeing these pics, and after hearing glowing comments from the man himself. Lefty #7 here.  :nana_guitar

Who's going to put a pick guard on???????????????

I was vacillating, but I'm planning to have Jim put it on - it will look sweet on the hog top.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I agree with Mikey. Want the TS guard. Will look sweet? And vintagy? Is there such a word? There is now! :bgrin:
   I'm still trying to decide which tuners. A direct drop-in Gotoh or an open-gear one, which will have holes underneath. Will that affect the worth of the guitar? Not sure & not sure if I should worry. Jim is going to put a bone nuts on for me, like he did for my F-III.
   Strings haven't been brought up either. Asked Jim, he saying to wait & see what gauge they come with. The OO-03 Limiteds were listed as medium strings, so should we expect the same? Want lights on mine. If it's not a cannon, I'll raise the stakes to mediums. Just tear my fingers up. And no "man-up" comments. Had an SD-50 I loved with mediums, but all other 3 or 4 had lights. Made for a difficult, but not doable, situation.
   Strings? Tuners?
     Jeff
And Mikey, here's one for you. Probably a first & last for Larrivee. I'm a lefty, but play totally backwards. Low E on bottom, high on top. They put a lefty neck on a righty body when I asked if they could put the neck dots on the opposite side. You walk into a music store & hope they have a lefty for you to check out. Me, I have the pick of the litter! #23, righty! But, I'll play it left-handed! Man, the looks I get! :wave

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 13, 2010, 04:53:56 PM
I was vacillating, but I'm planning to have Jim put it on - it will look sweet on the hog top.

I'd like a black pick guard if I put anything on it.
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

No P.G. on it for me, unless they provide a clear one. I have a clear satin finish Larrivee gaurd if I need one and an extra Larrivee tortoise style.

About the back strip I have some books on the history of guitars and one said that Gibson was the first to use the back strip inside the body and then Martin followed. It does seem like a good idea.

My F-III truly does look like a one piece back, they matched the grain pattern so well.

It is just so nice to be on this end of the build run. :thumb

Frank, I looked into black & you have to buy a sheet of material & have it cut to size. I'm sure Jim could do it, just not sure how happy he'd be? :humour: If you happen upon a black OO guard, please let me know? I called Martin after seeing only dread ones, besides blank sheets also. Was told to order the sheet & have it cut to size.
   Like the black or a darker TS one. I think with the MT, the guard will have a different look than on spruce.
   And Dan, thanks. Didn't think it would be bad, as it's for extra support. You're blessed with another seamless F-III! Didn't make many like ours. Just for special people! :thumb
     Jeff

Quote from: BluesMan1 on March 13, 2010, 06:08:42 PM
   Frank, I looked into black & you have to buy a sheet of material & have it cut to size. I'm sure Jim could do it, just not sure how happy he'd be? :humour: If you happen upon a black OO guard, please let me know? I called Martin after seeing only dread ones, besides blank sheets also. Was told to order the sheet & have it cut to size.
   Like the black or a darker TS one. I think with the MT, the guard will have a different look than on spruce.
   And Dan, thanks. Didn't think it would be bad, as it's for extra support. You're blessed with another seamless F-III! Didn't make many like ours. Just for special people! :thumb
     Jeff

Jeff, I contacted Grevenguitars upon Jim's request to see if he'll make me a lefty black guard. I'm sure he's probably really busy and making a one-off pick guard may be too much to ask. I'd like to have one the same shape as seen on the 00 Santa Cruz 1929. I'm a machinist but I'm also pretty busy at least for the next month so making one would be impossible for now. I'd like to get the guitar from Jim completed so I can just enjoy playing it.
All Lefties.
Larrivée L-03-
Larrivée L-03R-
Gibson J45
Martin HD-28
Martin CEO-7

I finally just went ahead and put the supplied (TS) guard on my spruce top.  It was either that, or order a clear and not play the thing for a week.  After agonizing over what to put on and playing gingerly for a couple weeks, it turns out that the guitar looks just fine with it.  Actually, I have a black in my "goody" bag and after laying it and the TS on there, the TS looked nicer.  IMO and YMMV, of course.

Ed

I want my F-IV to be free of pickguard for a cleaner look (to me) and more vibration for the top.  I fingerpick so there's really no need for a guard. 

Tuners?  I'm fine with the originals on the F-III so I'll leave that alone on the F-IV.

I might have Jim put a bone nut on.  Still debating that one.  I just hope the nut is cut correctly this time around.  The original F-III nut is long gone.  It shouldn't have been on the guitar in the first place.

Medium strings, for sure.  I want to get that box humming!
Play it daily for best results.