F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars

Started by Danny, November 22, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: BluesMan1 on March 12, 2010, 12:04:11 PM
   Then why do all high-end builders (or most, Larrivee not included) use bone nuts? I, personally notice a difference.
   Respect what you say & try to phrase it that way. Did I do all right? :bgrin:
     Jeff
(BTW, yeah, you did fine, thanks Jeff...)
First off, I said "in my opinion" and that's all it is. Why do some builders use bone for a nut? Perhaps for the same reason they use inlays and exotic wood purfling: appearances. Bone is considered a higher quality material than plastic. It gets a nice patina to it.
You said you went with bone pins, saddle, & nut, so how is it that you are able to determine which tonal differences are attributable to the bone nut, as differentiated from the saddle and/or pins?
Note that I am not opposed to bone nuts, and if you can hear a difference then go for it, Jeff. My ears are vintage. (57 years old) So they don't hear what a teenager or even a 30 year pair of ears can hear.

You make a good point. I put the pins on after I got the guitar, never having tried them before. Noticed a difference right away. Brighter. Crisper. Just my ears.
   And Q, I'm 52 y/o, guess I hear what I want to (comes with practice, plus being married!). Bottom line for all of these add-ons is do you hear a difference? Some do, some don't, & it doesn't mean ones ears are better than another's. We all hear a little differently. Just my opinion also.
   And a stupid question which you might want to PM me the answer to. All of you PC geeks ( :bgrin:) use the quote option alot. Guess it's easier for some things. Like quoting a whole post? Or, just tidbits? Tried playing with it, couldn't get it to work. Feel left out now. :ohmy: Any help would be appreciated?
   Thanks.
     J
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

There is a quote button in the top right corner of every post, just click on it and if you don't want to quote the whole post just delete the part you don't want to show.

:coffee  :donut2
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Photo Just arrived  :nice guitar: :guitar

Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com

From John JR
"we are doing our best to make everyone happy. These guitars are smoking hot! The first one got finished yesterday and it was a cannon. They just look like fantastic little gems. You will be very proud to deliver these Jim.

all the best
john jr."
Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com

Oh boy, now I want one.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

:nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar :nana_guitar                                                               :nice guitar:

Goodness GASeous!
OM-03R 2008 Twelfth Fret SE 5/12
LSV-03R 2009 Forum III 55/78

Woo Hoo! I've resisted posting on this site so far because I was learning so much from just reading everyone else's comments - so this is my first post. I've been checking-in almost everyday for news on the build and these photos have finally pushed me over the edge! Awesome - I can't wait until I'm sitting on my couch with my very own Forum IV (#24 lefty, I think...)  Thanks to "tuffythepug" for giving me the heads up on this build one day before the order deadline. I jumped in with both feet and I'm so glad I did!
Larrivee OM-03, lefty
Larrivee Forum IV #24, lefty (love it)

Quote from: TrinityGuitars on March 12, 2010, 02:48:45 PM
From John JR
"we are doing our best to make everyone happy. These guitars are smoking hot! The first one got finished yesterday and it was a cannon. They just look like fantastic little gems. You will be very proud to deliver these Jim.

all the best
john jr."

THANK YOU JIM and JOHN JR.    Woo Hoo am I a Happy Danny  :+1:

Quote from: archilady on March 12, 2010, 03:13:11 PM
Woo Hoo! I've resisted posting on this site so far because I was learning so much from just reading everyone else's comments - so this is my first post. I've been checking-in almost everyday for news on the build and these photos have finally pushed me over the edge! Awesome - I can't wait until I'm sitting on my couch with my very own Forum IV (#24 lefty, I think...)  Thanks to "tuffythepug" for giving me the heads up on this build one day before the order deadline. I jumped in with both feet and I'm so glad I did!
TtP is the best. And welcome to the forum archilady   :welcome:

Quote from: archilady on March 12, 2010, 03:13:11 PM

Yes, welcome - and from another lefty to boot (I think mine is aroundd #6)!  That makes at least three lefty Forum IV's that I'm aware of - not bad for an order of 28-30 guitars - at or over 10%.

The only thing I don't see on the photos is the back stripe - looks like that may have been cut from the specs? (Doubt they can add it later than the rest of the body binding...I guess we'll see.)

They look awesome though, and I can't wait to hear 'em after John's take on the tone!

:nice guitar:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on March 12, 2010, 03:31:50 PM
Yes, welcome - and from another lefty to boot (I think mine is aroundd #6)!  That makes at least three lefty Forum IV's that I'm aware of - not bad for an order of 28-30 guitars - at or over 10%.

The only thing I don't see on the photos is the back stripe - looks like that may have been cut from the specs? (Doubt they can add it later than the rest of the body binding...I guess we'll see.)

They look awesome though, and I can't wait to hear 'em after John's take on the tone!

:nice guitar:
Mike I never thought these would have a back stripe myself.  It just seemed out of character for a Larrivee. Actually what they have is a back "strip" inside the guitar body, like Gibson first introduced.

"Yes, welcome - and from another lefty to boot (I think mine is aroundd #6)!  That makes at least three lefty Forum IV's that I'm aware of - not bad for an order of 28-30 guitars - at or over 10%."

Yes, I've noticed there's a few lefties already on this build. I think that's because we lefties usually have to get a custom order anyway so why not go for something really special, right? Thanks for the warm welcome.
Larrivee OM-03, lefty
Larrivee Forum IV #24, lefty (love it)

Quote from: dependan on March 12, 2010, 03:40:17 PM
  Mike I never thought these would have a back stripe myself.  It just seemed out of character for a Larrivee. Actually what they have is a back "strip" inside the guitar body, like Gibson first introduced.

Okay, well I do see that  :arrow guess I was not understanding. But I think there were a few others who also thought it meant a center trim seam down the back on the outside.

I don't care, really, it was just something that would further set them apart as Forum Guitars. I'm just glad to see some pics - evidence that we'll soon have new geetars to play!

:nanadance :nana_guitar

(And I have to add: the top on the one in the photos almost looks like koa - very nice!)
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Nice photos!

Are the FIVs going to customers in Canada still going to be shipped directly from Vancouver?  I think Denis posted that he received an email saying no.  I haven't received a similar email.
Montreal
Larrivee OM-03R SH, O-01, OO-03MT FIV
National Style O, National Polychrome Tricone
Gibson B25-12, Brunner OG Basic and a few others

Got my upgrades into Jim today and he said he had the pictures up..........way to go Jim!!!! :bowdown:
Taylor 424ce SL
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Rainsong OM
Composite Acoustics OX Raw ( Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Prestige Eclipse

Dan, I'm happy too. I just can't dance as well as you while playing 20+ guitars!! :humour: 
   Been rereading the AG mag with the Santa Cruz "1929" review. That wood looks sharp on the Larrivee, even better than the "1929", which has a lighter finish than a -15 series. That mag is starting to look like one from my younger years! :humour:
   Now, mini Gotohs or a set of open ones. Have to decide quickly now? Off to read about the other "cannon", that costs 3x more! :+1:
   Alright, here's a try with one.  :nana_guitar
     Jeff
   And I think all are happy. haven't heard from Denis here yet, but he'll flip too! :bowdown:

Mikey, I noticed the lack of back stripe (strip) also. Was listed on the specs, many getting excited about a unique addition to the backs. Some of the older Larrivees had them.
   Dan, I haven't heard of Gibbies having a strip or stripe (which is correct?) before. Purpose: to keep the back joint more stable? Can you explain, when the hoe-down is finished? :humour:
  I like the all HOG look, with no maple binding. But that's not a point now.
  Sweet, mama, now I'm up to 2 guitars!! :nana_guitar :nana_guitar  Must be a good one. And the nana is playing an all HOG! Coincidence? :drool:
    Jeff