F-IV special order 00-03MT by the forum & Trinity Guitars

Started by Danny, November 22, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

After much time I have located a distributor that I can get the Gotoh machines from. They, however, do not handle the black. I am also continuing my work on compatibility. I will be ordering a standard size set  and a mini set to test them on the guitars. I have some P05's in stock I can use for the mini test. I know that the standard 510 are a drop in fit for the full size ping but I think we are looking at the ping mini on the 00 size guitar. I want to make sure that we can do the swap and not leave holes or marks on the guitar. My account is being set up today with the distributor so I should be able to order tomorrow. I have also emailed Larrivee to verify the machines that will be used on the guitar. A lot to sort out but we are getting close.  I will look at the open back tuner options as well. We should end up with some cool info on what will work for the mini tuner upgrades.
Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com

Quote from: TrinityGuitars on March 11, 2010, 12:46:44 PM
After much time I have located a distributor that I can get the Gotoh machines from. They, however, do not handle the black. I am also continuing my work on compatibility. I will be ordering a standard size set  and a mini set to test them on the guitars. I have some P05's in stock I can use for the mini test. I know that the standard 510 are a drop in fit for the full size ping but I think we are looking at the ping mini on the 00 size guitar. I want to make sure that we can do the swap and not leave holes or marks on the guitar. My account is being set up today with the distributor so I should be able to order tomorrow. I have also emailed Larrivee to verify the machines that will be used on the guitar. A lot to sort out but we are getting close.  I will look at the open back tuner options as well. We should end up with some cool info on what will work for the mini tuner upgrades.

Thanks Jim.

You say you are contacting Larrivee to verify what they are putting on the guitars.  Do you mean that they might be using Schallers?

Hey, a lot of good news.  Will definitely go for a few options/upgrades when details are ironed out :bgrin:

Just have a thought, wish it would come true.  What if we ask Larrivee to print the names of individual original buyers on the guitar label inside the sound hole, something like: No. 18 of 28 issued to Frederico.  No additional cost to larrivee. Will it be cool? :nana_guitar
Larrivee Forum IV
Martin OOO-28VS
Martin D-18GE Sunburst

Quote from: Denis on March 11, 2010, 01:03:30 PM
Thanks Jim.

You say you are contacting Larrivee to verify what they are putting on the guitars.  Do you mean that they might be using Schallers?
No the question is are they standard ot mini pings
Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com

OK,  I have a set of 510 standard and mini on order. Should see them next week. I will put them on a stock Larrivee guitar and post photos here.
Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com

Quote from: Frederico on March 11, 2010, 01:49:20 PM
What if we ask Larrivee to print the names of individual original buyers on the guitar label inside the sound hole, something like: No. 18 of 28 issued to Frederico.  No additional cost to larrivee. Will it be cool?

That's not something that I want.

What I hope the label says is "Forum IV  OO-03MT". 
Montreal
Larrivee OM-03R SH, O-01, OO-03MT FIV
National Style O, National Polychrome Tricone
Gibson B25-12, Brunner OG Basic and a few others

Frederico, that was brought up last build, on the F-IIIs. Something they wouldn't do then. Many didn't want that option in the case of any person deciding to sell their guitar. Doesn't seem like it here, but things come up. Then, the personalization is for naught?
   Jim can ask, but it would have to be a vote here first. Don't think it will get a nod? :?
     Jeff
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

Quote from: BluesMan1 on March 11, 2010, 04:37:50 PM
   Frederico, that was brought up last build, on the F-IIIs. Something they wouldn't do then. Many didn't want that option in the case of any person deciding to sell their guitar. Doesn't seem like it here, but things come up. Then, the personalization is for naught?
   Jim can ask, but it would have to be a vote here first. Don't think it will get a nod? :?
     Jeff

Or only for those who ask for it? If it's a no-go, no big deal.  Does hurt to ask.
Larrivee Forum IV
Martin OOO-28VS
Martin D-18GE Sunburst

Like I said, the same thing came up & Larrivee turned it down. Again, many members that ordered these guitars probably don't want it. No offense meant, but I think it would be a majority that says no. Might be wrong. Email Jim. Think he'll tell you the same.
   My handmade guitar being built in Italy says "built for XXXX XXXXXXXXX". That one won't be leaving!
   And it doesn't hurt to ask. Ask Jim or get a poll going here about it. :wave
     Jeff

As long as it says Larrivee on the headstock with an "03" and a serial number stamped on the neckblock, I'm sure I'll be just as happy.  Anything else is just icing on the cake. 

Quote from: Denis on March 11, 2010, 06:58:21 PM
As long as it says Larrivee on the headstock with an "03" and a serial number stamped on the neckblock, I'm sure I'll be just as happy.  Anything else is just icing on the cake. 

Same for me
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on March 11, 2010, 07:08:44 PM
Same for me
Yup.

I like the idea of my name written in there.  Then again, I've got two odd names that are likely to get misspelled.  Maybe they could just write "appleknocker". :tongue: :humour:

Icing up to a point.  Having my name on the label would be less like icing, and more like anchovy paste on the cake.  Possible, but not something I'd like to see.:yak:

Don't mind if someone else wants their name on their guitar, but it's not for me.

My hopes for having "OO-03MT" on the label are due to neither of my Larrivees having the model identified on the label.
Montreal
Larrivee OM-03R SH, O-01, OO-03MT FIV
National Style O, National Polychrome Tricone
Gibson B25-12, Brunner OG Basic and a few others

Quote from: bobsnob on March 11, 2010, 07:59:43 PM
Icing up to a point.  Having my name on the label would be less like icing, and more like anchovy paste on the cake.  Possible, but not something I'd like to see.:yak:

Don't mind if someone else wants their name on their guitar, but it's not for me.

My hopes for having "OO-03MT" on the label are due to neither of my Larrivees having the model identified on the label.

:+1:

Quote from: TrinityGuitars on March 11, 2010, 12:46:44 PM
I know that the standard 510 are a drop in fit for the full size ping .....I will look at the open back tuner options as well. We should end up with some cool info on what will work for the mini tuner upgrades.

If the 510s are a drop in replacement on the Forum III guitars...then, if you don't mind,  I might get in on this order as well...
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

I have a Custom Shop Martin similar to an OM-21. It has the name of the guy who had it built for him on the label. He was a close friend of mine. I bought this guitar from him several years ago, since he could no longer play due to a tragic accident. He died last year. I'm very glad that his name is on the label and I think of him every time I play it.
I have a 1934 0-17 too. It would be kinda nice to have the original owner's name on that one just as a piece of the history of this guitar of which I know nothing.
I think Martin will do this on any purchase for a $100 up-charge together with CFM IV signature. They used too, any way. And if Larrivee doesn't want to do it then it's 'case closed'.

Q, this came up last build, most not wanting names. Plus Larrivee shot it down. I don't care if my name is on it, but prefer it sticks to the previous Forum builds. Just stating a Forum XX & signed by Jean. That's all I need? Here's a pic of the F-III label, similar to the previous ones.
  Ask Jim about it. He should remember this came up & Larrivee didn't want to do it. But, there were 78+ guitars, this time 28. Maybe? If presented as an option, probably won't happen. All or none?
  Love the look of open-geared tuners, but will have holes. They will be covered, but it gets down to maintaining the original guitar as was. If the Goths are a direct drop in, those are fine. Prefer open ones. but I might just have none put in until I play it. The mini Pings on my F-III, contrary to others experiences, work just fine. 14:1 ratio. A higher ratio would be nice, the Grovers being the only open ones with a high one. More precision, vintage looks, but a hole under every tuner that wasn't there before.
  Have to sacrifice looks for a stock tuner, or the direct drop-in Gotohs? To me, this is a vintage style guitar. OO size, all HOG, 12 frets to the body. Can find others, but not @ this price. The nut? I recommend letting Jim put a bone one on. My F-III just sings with bone pins, saddle, & nut. Am hoping for the same on the F-IV. Have faith?
    Jeff
   Sorry about the blurry shot. Camera focused on the strings. Did it real quick?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Quote from: BluesMan1 on March 12, 2010, 11:26:43 AM
  Q, this came up last build, most not wanting names. Plus Larrivee shot it down. I don't care if my name is on it, but prefer it sticks to the previous Forum builds. Just stating a Forum XX & signed by Jean. That's all I need? Here's a pic of the F-III label, similar to the previous ones.
  Ask Jim about it. He should remember this came up & Larrivee didn't want to do it. But, there were 78+ guitars, this time 28. Maybe? If presented as an option, probably won't happen. All or none?
  Love the look of open-geared tuners, but will have holes. They will be covered, but it gets down to maintaining the original guitar as was. If the Goths are a direct drop in, those are fine. Prefer open ones. but I might just have none put in until I play it. The mini Pings on my F-III, contrary to others experiences, work just fine. 14:1 ratio. A higher ratio would be nice, the Grovers being the only open ones with a high one. More precision, vintage looks, but a hole under every tuner that wasn't there before.
  Have to sacrifice looks for a stock tuner, or the direct drop-in Gotohs? To me, this is a vintage style guitar. OO size, all HOG, 12 frets to the body. Can find others, but not @ this price. The nut? I recommend letting Jim put a bone one on. My F-III just sings with bone pins, saddle, & nut. Am hoping for the same on the F-IV. Have faith?
    Jeff
   Sorry about the blurry shot. Camera focused on the strings. Did it real quick?
Jeff, I'm not asking for names, and as I indicated in the same post, Larrivee doesn't want to do it. (Just saying... sometimes it's a nice thing and it's a revenue generator for Martin.)
Bone saddle is a nice upgrade. Bone nut makes no (or nearly no) difference in tone IMHO. As soon as you fret a string, you have by-passed the nut, anyway.

Then why do all high-end builders (or most, Larrivee not included) use bone nuts? I, personally notice a difference. As you say, more in the saddle. And, might sound redundant, but you are right about once fretted. That's why I try to play open chords only! :humour:
   Bone pins, nuts, those 2 are a personal thing that some can hear. Have seen nuts made out of wood. Not ebony, but just some hard wood. And, the strings that aren't fretted in a chord would be affected by the nut. Agree with most. Just not all. You make sense, as usual, but I play alot of blues in the lower frets. Not all, but alot. I guess that's were I hear a difference?
   Respect what you say & try to phrase it that way. Did I do all right? :bgrin:
     Jeff